Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading question

zhunter

I’m coming from a CZ platform where short OAL was required.

Is there a ballpark/consensus OAL for reloads on the P320 X-Five barrels?

I still have 1000’s of rounds of 1.09 OAL left over from my CZ’s.  I am sure they will be fine in the X-Five for practice, or I can use them for fun in my Scorpion, but really looking for a starting point.

Sadly my Legion is back ordered so I can’t use the chamber to nail it down.

Any guidance is appreciated  

Mine will feed any length that is in the realm of reason.

I've been down the Tanfo trail with short OAL so know what you're speaking off.

your 1.09 ammo will function just fine.

The advantage of the SIG other than the obvious reasons you changed.

Is the fact that for reloading they're less problematic. i.e. much longer OAL can be used

PD, Everglades, RMR FMJ all load at 1.170 no problem

Bayou, 125, 145 RN load at 1.150

RMR FR "match winner" load long but I use them at 1.120 cause they shoot a 1" group at 25yds at that OAL

Long story short the chambers are cut for match length ammo or "loaded long" LOL

enjoy your SIG

My Legion with the LCI had 2 malfunctions and they were with my shorter 1.125.  I had made loads of 0.005 increments from 1.125 to 1.145.  I had no other malfunctions.  This was the first 100 rounds through the gun so this may have been a coincidence.  Like you, I sent mine back for a new barrel after the first 100 rounds.

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I presume you're shooting a 9mm ?

Yes, it will be a 9mm and set up for CO

1 hour ago, B585 said:

My Legion with the LCI had 2 malfunctions and they were with my shorter 1.125.  I had made loads of 0.005 increments from 1.125 to 1.145.  I had no other malfunctions.  This was the first 100 rounds through the gun so this may have been a coincidence.  Like you, I sent mine back for a new barrel after the first 100 rounds.

I will be sending mine back immediately for a non-LCI barrel.

Looks like I will need to do some load testing to his 131PF at a longer OAL

I also came from loading for CZ's and was very happy to see how easy my Sig X5 and 365 are to load for.  Not only are they not sensitive on length they feed some profiles my CZ's wouldn't.  Namely, one of my favorite profiles, a 100gr SWC.  Choked my CZ's to death, all my Sigs eat them like candy.  You will enjoy.

Your 1.09 reloads will shoot just fine on your X5. I shoot the same reloads (124 Gr PD JHP w/ 4.0 Gr sport pistol @ 1.102-1.104” OAL ) between my X5, shadow 2 and TSO  without any problems. When I loaded RMR 124 Gr  match winners, I loaded them at 1.080-1.102 and shot them on all three  Pistols without any problems at all. 

11 hours ago, travail said:

What kind of CZ needed short loads? My shadow is only limited by the magazines at about 1.165"

Most 75, sp01, shadow 2 need a very short oal in anything other than a round nose bullet. Especially 147gr projectiles. I've owned, loaded for and completed with over 20 CZ pistols and each was like this.

Interesting, guess the one I have just has a long chamber. Was worked on by CZ Custom, so maybe they opened it up a bit, or just got a long one from the factory. Been loading 165gr round nose pretty long and only limitation was the magazine. Guess this is part of why they say each gun is a little different.

I set my dies for 1.165" OAL because I was loading 9 major for my sons open gun.  When I acquired my X-5, I didn't want to change my setting.  So I loaded some minor and it gobbles them up 💯.  Matter of fact, all my 9mm guns run 1.165" with zero issues.

Load is 124 gr. RMR FMJ with 4.5 gr. of Universal Clays and Win SRP.  Runs in the 135 PF range.

Yes, I know, some people think that powder is dirty.  But, I run it for 40 major and 45 ACP as well.  Good to have a powder that runs very well in all three and is fairly cheap.