Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thought I broke the 650!

So there I was reloading along on the 650 tonight like no one's business when suddenly the ram would not fully bottom out on the downstroke.  I could get close, but every time I was met by stiff resistance.  

I pulled the cases off the shellplate after giving the machine a quick once over visually and finding nothing obvious.  The shell plate would advance but still the ram would not achieve full travel.  

FINALLY I noticed that a magic marker had worked its' way under the ram between the ram and the bench top and preventing full travel.  (The 650 is mounted on a Dillon strong mount.)  

So, I guess storing junk under the strong mount isn't such a good idea.  

Thats frustrating. for me its usually the cartridge stuck against the guide bar and station 5. Everyone in a while i have to bend it a little to make it work again. I used to keep a bunch of stuff under there. Empty primer tubes and flip tray fit well.

I just got done installing the replacement ring indexer on mine last night. I didn’t even know it was broken but until I noticed station 1 wasn’t lining up 100% of the time. So I raised up the ram and check underneath the chill plate and found out the rind indexer was broken in two and the only thing holding it together was the spring.

Dillon customer service is great. Called them last Monday and told them what happened. Received the part yesterday along with the alignment pin and extra spring. Installed it last night and everything is great again.

I feel bad with Dillon. Am dyslexic and sometimes I think something is broken, call them and they send parts only for me to realize later that I had done something wrong and finally rectifying it. They are great. Me? Not so much.