Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case feeder sending cases the wrong end up

What caliber are you reloading and what shell plate are you using in the case feeder? It is also important to know how many cases you are dumping into the case feeder to start off with? If you overload the case feeder with too much brass you will have some upside down drops. If you are using the wrong size shell plate in the case feeder it will also cause upside down drops. The Small Shell plate is for 9mm/38 cal size cases. The Large Shell plate is for 40/45 cal. If you are using the Large Shell plate with 9mm/38 cal it will cause upside down drops.

It’s the large plate and I am loading 40 cal. The speed is about middle of the way . It’s mounted on the post that came with the press. How many cases can I put in it at one time? I loaded 500 and had to add oases twice because I cannot see into the hopper so I was not sure how many to add at one time . I will try slowing it down and see if that helps . 

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

I'm about to switch from Dillon case lube to One Shot.  Dillon is just to sticky.

You can get 100% alcohol on amazon and thin the Dillon lube waaay Down. I would cut it in half for starters. Dillon is way too rich in stock form

Edited by Sarge

In 40 Cal you can use the small or the large plate. I have seen a more frequent happening of upside down cases when using the large plate and a fast speed. Try the small plate or slowing down the feed speed. I use the small plate on my 650 press setup for 40 cal and have never been able to outrun it while reloading. I use the large plate on my Rollsizer machine with 40 cal because that machine can consume the brass much faster than the case feeder with a small plate can feed it.

With 40 cal brass I will limit the maximum brass dump to 400 cases. More than that and it usually has more jamming and upside down case drop issues. This is especially true when using the large plate.

I tend to see them with 9mm occasionally, but never in other pistol calibers.  IIRC I think I read that putting a piece of moleskin on the clear funnel, or taping a cut piece of card stock paper or similar helps a lot, as it reduces the odd bounce in the funnel that flips the case upside down.

I regularly put 500 .40 cases in my CF at a time without issue and use One-shot on the cases. And I want to say it’s with the large shell plate as well although I’ll have to double check that when I get home. 

If swapping the shell plate doesn’t fix it I’d recommend watching the case feeder run visually. The problem should become clear fairly quickly once you can see what’s causing the upside-down cases. 

On 11/21/2019 at 8:49 PM, RangerTrace said:

Mine only does it when a case gets stuck in the opening and gets thumped the wrong direction when it clears.  I'm about to switch from Dillon case lube to One Shot.  Dillon is just to sticky.

I am thinking of switching to one shot also. Is the one shot that much better and not sticky as the dillon lube. Never used one shot before. 

1 hour ago, Furrly said:

If there is a significant amount movement with the case feeder with the upstroke and downstrok that will cause cases to feed in upside down.. 

I think this is my problem I have about one out of a hundred 9mm case that gets feed upside down. My 1050 and case feeder is mounted to the table real good but my table has just a little movement in it.

21 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Is the one shot that much better and not sticky as the dillon lube. Never used one shot before. 

Yes!

If you are dry tumbling and then loading one shot allows you to not have to tumble clean after loading. I found all the others (including home made lube) leave such a sticky film on the finished round it is mandatory to clean them post loading.

2 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Yes!

If you are dry tumbling and then loading one shot allows you to not have to tumble clean after loading. I found all the others (including home made lube) leave such a sticky film on the finished round it is mandatory to clean them post loading.

But they load so much smoother with lanolin based lube than with OS. It’s worth tumbling for 10-15 minutes to clean them up after loading.

21 hours ago, Sarge said:

But they load so much smoother with lanolin based lube than with OS. It’s worth tumbling for 10-15 minutes to clean them up after loading.

Thanks sarge. That’s what I wanted to know never used one shot and I don’t mind tumbling finished rounds for about 5 -10 min to get the sticky off. 

46 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Thanks sarge. That’s what I wanted to know never used one shot and I don’t mind tumbling finished rounds for about 5 -10 min to get the sticky off. 

I thought I was one of the few who tumbled finished rounds . I have heard so many people debate how dangerous it’s supposed to be but I have done it for years.