Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Luckynumberslevin

First Revo match issues

Hey guys,

I recently had my first IPSC revolver match and loved it, I have been shooting standard here in Canada for a couple years now and wanted to make the switch as there arnt many wheel gunners around.  Aside from forgetting how to shoot when the old timer beeps, I thought I did quite well.  But my faults of D zone hits and Mike's were all low and left. (Right handed shooter).  So my question is regarding grip technique.  I have found that if engage the palm of my weak hand close to the back of the grip that the shots down stray as low.  Am I on the right path or is this a simple trigger jerk issue?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Luckynumberslevin said:

Hey guys,

I recently had my first IPSC revolver match and loved it, I have been shooting standard here in Canada for a couple years now and wanted to make the switch as there arnt many wheel gunners around.  Aside from forgetting how to shoot when the old timer beeps, I thought I did quite well.  But my faults of D zone hits and Mike's were all low and left. (Right handed shooter).  So my question is regarding grip technique.  I have found that if engage the palm of my weak hand close to the back of the grip that the shots down stray as low.  Am I on the right path or is this a simple trigger jerk issue?

Thanks!

IMHO its both, the long relatively heavy DA trigger pull exasperates any trigger control deficiency on your part, having a better grip helps fight that. Now for the fun part there doesn't seem to be a one size fits all solution for how to operate a revolver, so try different grip techniques and trigger finger placements and see what works for you.  you may also want to try some different grip shapes on the gun and see how that works with your grip techniques. 

Also something that took a while for me to learn was that with a revo you have to aim all the way through the trigger press, with a auto its easy to get away with stopping aiming as soon as you decide to press the trigger, revos will not let you get away with it

3 hours ago, Luckynumberslevin said:

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Check out this video of Jerry demonstrating "How to Shoot a Revolver".  It's definitely worth 30 minutes of your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEHNZFTfSD8

Thanks for the help guys, this points me in the right direction as to what to try.  I do have normal size hands that may be a bit small for the grip i have on my 929 but I'm going to experiment tonight.

7 minutes ago, Luckynumberslevin said:

Thanks for the help guys, this points me in the right direction as to what to try.  I do have normal size hands that may be a bit small for the grip i have on my 929 but I'm going to experiment tonight.

I got quite a bit out of a afternoon shooting doubles at 7 to 15 yards, just trying different grips and finger positions and seeing what the sights and gun did 

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

I got quite a bit out of a afternoon shooting doubles at 7 to 15 yards, just trying different grips and finger positions and seeing what the sights and gun did 

That's something I'm going to try this weekend.

The other question I had for wheelguners, what's the comparison in hitfactor between a revolver and let's say an IPSC standard gun?

Standard not sure (I shoot standard like s**t)

i have kept up with hf of production shooters of similar class with my 929 in ipsc  but I’m mostly shooting icore these days 

6 hours ago, Luckynumberslevin said:

That's something I'm going to try this weekend.

The other question I had for wheelguners, what's the comparison in hitfactor between a revolver and let's say an IPSC standard gun?

2/3

11 hours ago, MWP said:

2/3

Sounds about right, it might not be quite as bad given standard, well any semi division, is legal up to 10 rounds.

2 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Sounds about right, it might not be quite as bad given standard, well any semi division, is legal up to 10 rounds.

Ah yes, Canada rules. Revo is 75% of SS, so just a hair lower for L10 basically. 

4 hours ago, Luckynumberslevin said:

Yes Canada rules.  You have to think in 10! Haha. What do you mean it's 75% lower? 

I should have worded that differently. 

Comparing a single stack shooter to a revolver shooter, of similar skill level- the single stack shooter has roughly 33% higher hit factor than a revolver (stage layout has a lot to do with that number fluctuating up and down, but that’s an average number over a typical match.)

So, a revolver should be 75% of a single stack. L10/ Canadian Standard is probably a percentage or so lower. 

6 hours ago, MWP said:

I should have worded that differently. 

Comparing a single stack shooter to a revolver shooter, of similar skill level- the single stack shooter has roughly 33% higher hit factor than a revolver (stage layout has a lot to do with that number fluctuating up and down, but that’s an average number over a typical match.)

So, a revolver should be 75% of a single stack. L10/ Canadian Standard is probably a percentage or so lower. 

That makes sense now, thank you!  I honestly didn't know about the percentage differences untill recently, especially with that.