Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Schuemann Hybrid barrel issues?

TheHooter

Earlier this year I reached out to a reputable gunsmith with a solid reputation for building high quality race guns. I requested a 5" Limited gun in .40 with a Schuemann Hybrid barrel. He said he had one left in stock and would reserve it for me. When time came for him to start the build he called and said there have been several reports of the Schuemann Hybrid barrels cracking after a few thousand rounds, and recommended the Shuemann AET bull barrel instead. I thought it best to follow his recommendation. Afterwards though, I searched this forum and others and I could not find any data supporting this. I've read where slides have cracked especially on open guns, but the barrels?

Yea, I wasn't about to argue with the guy, since I don't build guns for a living. But the question I have is if that's a common thing to happen? Is it because no new barrels are in circulation and the old ones are starting to fail? If so, we'd be reading all about it, especially on this forum.

Ive had 2 guns with ribbed 9mm threaded barrels for open guns. They both were great for me (About 40K on each barrel). I sold both guns a few years back and haven't heard from the new owner. I personally have never heard of issues from them. Barrel manufacture doesn't really matter IMO. Just style of barrel/set up you want. Sure bad batches can be made, but that seems very rare. Ive used Schuemann , SV, and KKM in both 9mm and 40. They all work well.

Edited by Maximis228

9 hours ago, TheHooter said:

Earlier this year I reached out to a reputable gunsmith with a solid reputation for building high quality race guns. I requested a 5" Limited gun in .40 with a Schuemann Hybrid barrel. He said he had one left in stock and would reserve it for me. When time came for him to start the build he called and said there have been several reports of the Schuemann Hybrid barrels cracking after a few thousand rounds, and recommended the Shuemann AET bull barrel instead. I thought it best to follow his recommendation. Afterwards though, I searched this forum and others and I could not find any data supporting this. I've read where slides have cracked especially on open guns, but the barrels?

Schuemann sell business in August.

Be sure that’s not true to Hybrid barrels cracking after few thousands. Crack on hybrid barrels happend only if island touch slide (no clearance between slide and island on barrel). More Looks like your gunsmith find another customer for that barrel.

57 minutes ago, 3GN said:

Schuemann sell business in August.

Be sure that’s not true to Hybrid barrels cracking after few thousands. Crack on hybrid barrels happend only if island touch slide (no clearance between slide and island on barrel). More Looks like your gunsmith find another customer for that barrel.

Yea, that’s kinda what I thought...

9 hours ago, TheHooter said:

You’re talking about the AET bull barrel?

Yes, it's also the island/sight tracker. I prefer the bull style over a bushing because it's a little easier to breakdown and reassemble. 

• 2 weeks later...