Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After Market Precision Powder Bars?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that someone made an aftermarket powder bar, or parts that would allow the 650/1050 to be upgraded to a more precise thrower.  Now that Winchester came out with the new Staball 6.5 powder, (It is temp insensitive, and a ball powder) it should make loading on the 650/1050 for precision rifle stuff much easier and faster than running a chargemaster.

So with that said, are there any parts that will allow the powder throw to be more precise, for PRS type loads?

I know about the micrometer on the powder bar, and that is great if you plan on changing charges.  I was thinking of something that may make the chosen charge more accurate.  Something like a different shaped powder reservoir, a different deliver system etc.

Even a 'Benchrest' powder measure like a Harrell is about +/- 0.1 gn with ball powders, in my experience. Most of the time less, but if you throw and weigh enough charges, you'll see it.

Pretty much any powder measure out there is going to be similar with ball powders. Some, like the RCBS Uniflow with their case-activated powder drop (CAPD) have a big honkin' spring to cycle the handle, which makes a surprising difference with short extruded powders. Still not +/- a kernel or two like the AutoTrickler + AutoThrower, but more like +/- 0.1 or 0.2 gn with RE-15, for example - vs 0.3-0.5 gn for the stock Dillon APM. Whether that would carry over to a spherical powder... dunno.

The original Lee PPM that the AutoThrower used works reasonably well with stick powder, but sucks out loud with ball - leaks so bad that it actually binds up. I thought I heard it mentioned that the v3 changed that somehow? If so, you could throw a lot closer to the target weight, trickle up faster and possibly more accurately with the much smaller kernel size.

Then there's always the matter of whether a given gun/load can capitalize on ammo weighed to the kernel, or if you can find a fairly tolerant load with a wide tune window... it may not matter all that much!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, sasquatch981 said:

I know about the micrometer on the powder bar, and that is great if you plan on changing charges.  I was thinking of something that may make the chosen charge more accurate.  Something like a different shaped powder reservoir, a different deliver system etc.

Anything like that would be a gimmick. Maybe try polishing the internals of your Dillon pretty well and even try waxing them. 

• 2 weeks later...