Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Author Charles Portis

benos

I first read True Grit. And found it surprisingly funnier than expected. Next was Dog of the South. I was iffy on it at first, but then it grew hilarious, and stayed funny as hell to the end. I'm just finishing Masters of Atlantis. It started like Dog of the South - I was not so sure of it. But I stuck with it because the story was outrageous. And like Dog of the South, it just kept getting funnier and funnier, the humor simultaneously subtle and outrageous. I'm looking forward to Norwood - it must be popular because it is never in stock at the library. 

• 1 month later...

Book reports used to be a thing in school, and kids actually had to read the book before writing the report. True Grit was my first book report. Fast forward, with a new English degree and a newer job as a bank teller in Little Rock, ... I cashed a check for Mr. Portis -- without knowing it. Only after he had walked out did one of the floor managers, who knew I was an English major, walk up an tell me who I'd just met. My one brush with literary fame.