Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Star USA Star Headstamp Brass

ToddKS

Post a picture, please!

Yeah I would like to see a picture as well. The only time I've seen anything other than [emoji294]️-[emoji294]️ on Starline brass was their .223 basic brass that had 5 [emoji294]️'s and 5 -'s around its circumference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will find some and post a picture when I get home from the office tonight.  I do not believe this is Starline brass.  There is too much of it showing up.  I believe this is either a brand I am not familiar with or a new headstamp style from a known manufacturer (marketing change).

Edited by ToddKS

18 hours ago, AHI said:

not 100% but Winchester came out with a new (cheep)line star USA .

I thought it was steel not brass.

I think this is a new Winchester product.  I believe this is brass from Winchester's new USA Ready line which is supposed to be a step up from their white box product.

If anyone has some of this ammo and can confirm it would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Wasn't Herters made by S&B previously?   Any pictures of the back of thr box?   Something about that font screams Armscor USA to me...

Haven’t heard anything about Armscor making Herters before, but I have been wrong before. It’s so cheap it wouldn’t really surprise me though. Although, when my buddy bought a bunch of it, it shot really well.

But no, I didn’t take any other pictures of the box, I was in a bit of a rush that day, but just stopped to look at that ammo cause it was really cheap and didn’t believe it was brass cases at first haha. Next time I go again I’ll snap some pictures of the other parts of the box and report back if someone hasn’t already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

I ran into this USA brass in a recent batch of range pickup a friend gave me.  The flash holes have some pretty severe burrs, and aren't completely centered.  I have had several of them stop my 650 dead because the decapping pin didn't go into the flash hole. 

0502201222a~2.jpg

0502201222~2.jpg

Edited by chevrofreak
Add photos

The general consensus is that Winchester makes the new centerfire, rimfire, and shotshells ammo for the Herter's line.  We know for sure that S&B used to make the Herter's black and red box ammo and CCI used to make their black and blue box ammo (aluminum case poly coated bullets).

Regarding the flash hole, I've seen bigger burs and more off center than posted above by just about every mfg, except maybe premium rifle brass. Lol

Edited by FightFireJay

7 hours ago, FightFireJay said:

The general consensus is that Winchester makes the new centerfire, rimfire, and shotshells ammo for the Herter's line.  We know for sure that S&B used to make the Herter's black and red box ammo and CCI used to make their black and blue box ammo (aluminum case poly coated bullets).

Regarding the flash hole, I've seen bigger burs and more off center than posted above by just about every mfg, except maybe premium rifle brass. Lol

I've seen worse flash holes, too, bit these stopped my press dead.   That has never happened with 9mm for me.   I decapped them in my single stage with a Lee universal decapper and I think it smashed the burr down.  It looked worse when I looked into the still primed case. 

• 2 weeks later...