Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Digital powder scale

Oldgit

I doubt it's more accurate than a beam scale.

The big advantage of the digital is that there are a LOT of people

who can't read a beam scale.

It's not difficult, it's just having a "feel for numbers".   I have no

feel for music, and some people have no feel for numbers.  They

will have a tough time reading a beam scale.

The digital will tell you that the charge weighs 3.22 grains - nothing

else necessary, just read the numbers like on a digital clock.

My young Grand Kids have a tough time reading a standard clock -

they're used to a digital clock.  Have no idea what "clockwise"

means.    :) 

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I doubt it's more accurate than a beam scale.

The big advantage of the digital is that there are a LOT of people

who can't read a beam scale.

It's not difficult, it's just having a "feel for numbers".   I have no

feel for music, and some people have no feel for numbers.  They

will have a tough time reading a beam scale.

The digital will tell you that the charge weighs 3.22 grains - nothing

else necessary, just read the numbers like on a digital clock.

My young Grand Kids have a tough time reading a standard clock -

they're used to a digital clock.  Have no idea what "clockwise"

means.    :) 

That has nothing to do with it, but you sure must have a low opinion of everybody else.

A digital scale is simply faster and easier to use, and can be zeroed for an empty case. Those advantages may or may not apply to you, but they DO apply to a lot of other people. 

Personally, I've been using the older model Dillon D-Terminator digital scale since the early 2000's and have always really liked it; it's been reliable and accurate. I do still have a number of beam scales, but rarely use them as I just don't have any reason to. 

Edited by Yondering

Take the load you are weighing and put the pan on the scale. Pick it up and set it back down. Do this 5 or 10 times and I doubt you will get the same number twice. Every digital scale has the same flaw. Balance beams are spot on, every time.

5 minutes ago, igolfat8 said:

Take the load you are weighing and put the pan on the scale. Pick it up and set it back down. Do this 5 or 10 times and I doubt you will get the same number twice. Every digital scale has the same flaw. Balance beams are spot on, every time.

Sure, if you buy a cheap scale. That certainly does not apply to "every digital scale". Buy quality or expect junk results. 

My Dillon does not do that, it is repeatable to the same number every time. 

Just now, Yondering said:

Sure, if you buy a cheap scale. That certainly does not apply to "every digital scale". Buy quality or expect junk results. 

My Dillon does not do that, it is repeatable to the same number every time. 

Agreed. My Dillon is 10 years old and doesn’t do that either.

What most digital scales WILL DO is start changing if you leave weight sitting for a long time. But that’s not a problem.

I had 3 Dillons, 2 Frankfort Arsenal's, 1 GemPro, 1 Lyman and 2 Hornadys. All did the same thing as I described above. Dillons, Hornady and Lyman were all returned to OEM and replaced. All replacements did the same thing. YMMV. Glad you got a good one but the floating numbers drive me nuts.

Edited by igolfat8

10 minutes ago, igolfat8 said:

I had 3 Dillons, 2 Frankfort Arsenal's, 1 GemPro, 1 Lyman and 2 Hornadys. All did the same thing as I described above. Dillons, Hornady and Lyman were all returned to OEM and replaced. All replacements did the same thing. YMMV. Glad you got a good one but the floating numbers drive me nuts.

No surprise about the FA, Lyman, or Hornady; all are just repackaged cheap chinese stuff. As to the others - sounds like either user error or a static problem. I've used a lot of different digital scales, both professionally and for reloading; that's not a typical feature of good scales. 

27 minutes ago, igolfat8 said:

Have you actually tried what I suggested? You might be surprised?

Umm, yeah. 🙄 No surprises.

I work with a lot of different electronic measuring equipment besides just scales; if you get different measurements like that, something is wrong and it is definitely not typical. 

Most of the digital scales I've used have flaws.  All but one supper from adding a few flakes at a time.  You really do have to lift the pan and replace it to get a better reading.

When accuracy counts I use this scale.  https://peregrinemonolithics.com/product/peregrine-bullets-scale/  Admittedly it is a pain to use, because it is so sensitive.   You cannot have any air currents from HVAC or you have to close the cover to get an accurate reading.  When super calibrated using both weights independently, it is accurate to 1/100th grain or 1/1000th gram.  It is the only digital scale I own that is more accurate than my Ohaus beam scale.  Long range precision rifle shooters use this scale.  It even comes with extremely pointy tweezers for removing a single flake of powder at a time.

Since most of us load with progressive presses for pistol, the need for consistent precise loads is not normally needed. Just about any $20.00 digital scale which will read in grains will work fine. If you search through the forum you will find the technique most use is to test about 10 loads and then get the average weight of the powder drop. Then you will have to rely on your chrono and acceptable accuracy tests to determine what load works for your gun.

My first digital scale was a Hornady and it wasn't any more accurate than the one I purchased from Amazon. I purchased a Lyman scale weight check to see if mine were accurate, and they were.

A beam differs in precision because cheap digital scales can be effected by electromagnetic sources, (lights, phones, magnets, motors...) near them.

Now if you are going to shoot long range rifle precision counts a whole lot more.

Edited by HesedTech

12 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

Since we load with progressive presses, the need for consistent precise loads is not  needed. Just about any $20.00 digital scale which will read in grains will work fine.  

^^^^   For  action pistol  events, I use my press's powder charger and chrono to set the powder weight  -

the scale merely gets me started in the right direction.     :) 

It may be over kill, but A&D FX-120i is one of the best powder scale built. Can read to 1/2 kennel of powder(.000) and is very stable, repeatable scale. As with any high quality ac scale, you'll need a clean power supply. This scale combined with Autothrower and Auto Trickler, I reload thousands of rounds of rifle ammo a year and all loads are loaded to within one kennel of powder...ie...001 either way..

AT.jpg

When I bought my first powder scale my utmost consideration was accuracy and reliability. But later I consider also the powder measure’s accuracy and powders’ meterability. Having ultra accurate  scales are desirable but can run havoc in my  reloading if my equipment and powders are not as accurate. Meaning if my powder measure is capable only of .1 grn. I wont use more precise and accurate scale say to a .01 or greater capability. If ever I do, I try to disregard the hundreths reads.