Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Genesis Arms Shotguns

dwzuspsa

4 hours ago, Bbowzr said:

I would advise against an aggressive brake.  I was considering the V6 (mainly because it looks very BA, but in speaking with Cody at Genesis, he advised against anything other than the brake offered by Genesis Arms as the shotgun is recoil operated, unless you want to have issues shooting anything less than "hot" loads.  Personally, I don't have anything other than 00 or 000 so haven't had any issues.  I believe in practicing with what I intend to use, whether hunting or personal defense.  If you do end up shooting with the V6 brake, give an update as to whether or not you encounter any issues as a result.  

Uh, OK, yeah, makes sense, thanks for the info !

Damn, this next 6 months are going to be hell, even if  Genesis Arms is able to manufacture my gun early, I can't even ask for a new import permit until January, and even then, not only do I need to wait for the permit (Which in of itself would not take more than a week), I also have to wait for the local equivalent of the ATF to add both the brand and the model of my new shotgun to the freaking registry.

I really need to move to the US.

Edited by ard212

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/7/2021 at 4:52 AM, viper5243 said:

Will do, no problem. It should be here this week.

I went ahead and ordered a 10.5" one from Brownells. Funny, today im at 18+ weeks (estimate was 12-14) on my order for an upper, bunch of mags (which said in stock when i ordered), and an 80% lower. No updates on anything at all the whole time. Just ordered from Brownells and got it $60 cheaper and free shipping. I guess ill have two when ever it does ship from GA, im not taking a 30% restocking fee hit to cancel my order.

Viper, did you end up receiving that upper from Brownells ?

On 9/26/2021 at 2:05 PM, ard212 said:

Viper, did you end up receiving that upper from Brownells ?

I did get it and I am very happy with it. I like it enough that when GA notified me that my order from them was ready to ship I added on a 7" breecher model as well (So i can run suppressed later). The quality, fit, and finish is excellent! The wait kinda sucked but it was well worth it and i would do it again in a heartbeat. Again, very happy with GA and their products. They were also super nice when i talked to them on the phone.

I thought i had bought enough ammo before the upper arrived. I have no idea wtf i was thinking. You can never have enough ammo. Now to start buying more of it and reloading slugs and buck.

I'm curious about why GA said that about the brakes since they have a bunch of videos using the JMac and they just had a batch of custom refinished guns for sale that had them installed. The weight of the Jmac (5.5oz) and the V6 (3.4oz) should be not be enough to make it not cycle. Their "blast can" is 4.7oz.

I shot it along side an 8" Tromix SBS. The recoil is different between the two but personally I find the GA much more fun to shoot and I like the recoil better. I had all brand new parts so there was a short break in period (300-350ish rds) but it will cycle everything i put through it now. The majority of what i have run through it is the cheapest bird shot that Walmart has.  243550500_572380224605_7314869139196237505_n.thumb.jpg.cb01730fa44641b79008805f49b332a8.jpg243661403_572380514025_193587890798024839_n.jpg.70dcb09a3145638805a82823ad037857.jpg

Edited by viper5243

8 hours ago, viper5243 said:

I did get it and I am very happy with it. I like it enough that when GA notified me that my order from them was ready to ship I added on a 7" breecher model as well (So i can run suppressed later). The quality, fit, and finish is excellent! The wait kinda sucked but it was well worth it and i would do it again in a heartbeat. Again, very happy with GA and their products. They were also super nice when i talked to them on the phone.

I thought i had bought enough ammo before the upper arrived. I have no idea wtf i was thinking. You can never have enough ammo. Now to start buying more of it and reloading slugs and buck.

I'm curious about why GA said that about the brakes since they have a bunch of videos using the JMac and they just had a batch of custom refinished guns for sale that had them installed. The weight of the Jmac (5.5oz) and the V6 (3.4oz) should be not be enough to make it not cycle. Their "blast can" is 4.7oz.

I shot it along side an 8" Tromix SBS. The recoil is different between the two but personally I find the GA much more fun to shoot and I like the recoil better. I had all brand new parts so there was a short break in period (300-350ish rds) but it will cycle everything i put through it now. The majority of what i have run through it is the cheapest bird shot that Walmart has.  243550500_572380224605_7314869139196237505_n.thumb.jpg.cb01730fa44641b79008805f49b332a8.jpg243661403_572380514025_193587890798024839_n.jpg.70dcb09a3145638805a82823ad037857.jpg

OK, first of all, I hate you, because your 10 inch looks just perfect and I can't have it ! Currently trying to see if I can persuade GA to make me a 15 inch version.

Second, so is the JMAC good to go ? Any reason why you wouldn't recommend adding it to my build ? My current order includes a G12, I'm guessing the JMAC would reduce recoild even compared to the G12, the question is how much ? Any ideas about that ?

Also, concerning optics, was thinking of going EOTech so I can be 100 % sure that the gun wont kill my optic.

Finally, thanks for the pics, and for sharing your experience with the gun, now, stop reading this and go buy more ammo !!!

12 hours ago, ard212 said:

OK, first of all, I hate you, because your 10 inch looks just perfect and I can't have it ! Currently trying to see if I can persuade GA to make me a 15 inch version.

Second, so is the JMAC good to go ? Any reason why you wouldn't recommend adding it to my build ? My current order includes a G12, I'm guessing the JMAC would reduce recoild even compared to the G12, the question is how much ? Any ideas about that ?

Also, concerning optics, was thinking of going EOTech so I can be 100 % sure that the gun wont kill my optic.

Finally, thanks for the pics, and for sharing your experience with the gun, now, stop reading this and go buy more ammo !!!

I like the JMac. I have not tried the G12 so cannot comment on that. Their blast can looks like a good option too. I have something similar on some of my beltfeds and they are great for sending concussion/sound downrange and away from the shooter. As a shooter im not bothered by the concussion of the JMac during firing but guys next to me said it was loud. That and when people see it on there i get some kind of comment like "WTF is that thing???" 😁

The only somewhat negative thing about the brakes is i did notice wads getting shaved and finding pieces of them on the shooting bench. There are no strikes from BB's though.

EOTech is good to go. I wanted something smaller for the 7" so i picked up a Holosun 507. Will the gun destroy it? 🤷‍♂️ Won't know till it happens. If it breaks ill pick up a EOTech.

I would definitely pick up some loctite or rockset though. I normally never use it on guns because im always changing parts out and hate removing it. I had my rear sight and optic fall off. My hammer and trigger pins were tight as i could make them and they still worked loose. The locking nut on the brake also would not stay tight so that got some too.

I'll be on the hunt for ammo once i get back to Alaska. I'm stuck in commie NJ for the time being. It's most likely against the law to even look at these kinds of guns down here. :D

17 hours ago, viper5243 said:

I like the JMac. I have not tried the G12 so cannot comment on that. Their blast can looks like a good option too. I have something similar on some of my beltfeds and they are great for sending concussion/sound downrange and away from the shooter. As a shooter im not bothered by the concussion of the JMac during firing but guys next to me said it was loud. That and when people see it on there i get some kind of comment like "WTF is that thing???" 😁

The only somewhat negative thing about the brakes is i did notice wads getting shaved and finding pieces of them on the shooting bench. There are no strikes from BB's though.

EOTech is good to go. I wanted something smaller for the 7" so i picked up a Holosun 507. Will the gun destroy it? 🤷‍♂️ Won't know till it happens. If it breaks ill pick up a EOTech.

I would definitely pick up some loctite or rockset though. I normally never use it on guns because im always changing parts out and hate removing it. I had my rear sight and optic fall off. My hammer and trigger pins were tight as i could make them and they still worked loose. The locking nut on the brake also would not stay tight so that got some too.

I'll be on the hunt for ammo once i get back to Alaska. I'm stuck in commie NJ for the time being. It's most likely against the law to even look at these kinds of guns down here. :D

Would you mind linking me the exact model of the JMac/where you bought it ? I still have time to add it to the list for my export permit.

I mean, have you watched the Garand Thumb review ? I don't think the Holosun 507 would survive, it's a pistol optic at the end of the day isn't it ? Heck, I don't even think the 510 or the 512 would fare much better, then again, I'm just guessing here.

I'll always find a certain level of joy knowing that even if my country has terrible gun laws, at least I don't live in CA/NJ/NY.

Edited by ard212

3 hours ago, ard212 said:

Would you mind linking me the exact model of the JMac/where you bought it ? I still have time to add it to the list for my export permit.

I mean, have you watched the Garand Thumb review ? I don't think the Holosun 507 would survive, it's a pistol optic at the end of the day isn't it ? Heck, I don't even think the 510 or the 512 would fare much better, then again, I'm just guessing here.

I'll always find a certain level of joy knowing that even if my country has terrible gun laws, at least I don't live in CA/NJ/NY.

I sent you a PM.

I have no idea about the optic lasting. I got it with a few other items in a deal so I'm not into it very much and really don't have anything else i would put it on. If it dies, it dies.

3 hours ago, ard212 said:

Ohh, that's just cold man, cold!  🤪

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

21 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Ohh, that's just cold man, cold!  🤪

Nolan

Oh, stop complaining, you guys still have rifle caliber semi autos and some limited form of concealed carry.

Nah, jokes aside, hope our patron Saint Benitez brings some relief to the people still trapped in Commiefornia XD

28 minutes ago, viper5243 said:

I sent you a PM.

I have no idea about the optic lasting. I got it with a few other items in a deal so I'm not into it very much and really don't have anything else i would put it on. If it dies, it dies.

PM answered !

I guess if you got it for cheap, and don't have any alternatives, you are not risking that much, still, that's a 300 dollar optic, maybe sell it and put the money towards an EOTech (?)

Maybe I'm kinda biased when it comes to not breaking things, I mean, considering that my rent is less than what a 507 is worth.

Edited by ard212

5 hours ago, ard212 said:

Well, TFB uploaded a "review" of the Gen 12:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/10/06/genesis-arms-gen-12/

Kind short if I'm been honest, hope James gets some trigger time behind this thing and does a full video on it.

There are two different models. The regular and the breacher. The regular model the whole barrel recoils, including your muzzle device. The breacher model has a recoiling barrel and the muzzle device fixed. The prices in the article are for the regular, not the breacher. The breacher are slightly more.

Edited by viper5243

1 hour ago, viper5243 said:

There are two different models. The regular and the breacher. The regular model the whole barrel recoils, including your muzzle device. The breacher model has and recoiling barrel and the muzzle device fixed. The prices in the article are for the regular, not the breacher. The breacher are slightly more.

The breacher is still not listed on the website, right ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 5:47 AM, PacMan said:

Looks like I'll be joining the mag-fed 12 ga crowd in a few months.

And here we are, 3 months later:

h0wSI56.jpg?2

The new Gen-12 18" is mated to a Sun Devil lower (Larue 2-stage trigger, std 308 carbine spring and buffer.  Both 5 and 10 rounds magazines fit perfectly.  Test functioned with 150 rds of #8/#7.5 birds, full power and low recoil 00 buck, 4 buck, full power and low recoil slugs, I was totally surprised that it ran without a single hiccup! More than 1/2 of the ammo tested came from my bag of match pickups (some were pretty ugly and rusted).  I even loaded a few magazines with them all mixed together (aka 'Happy Family' dish from the local Chinese diner 🤣). The short-recoil operation is definitely not softer than my Benelli M2, it is subjectively somewhere in between the M2 and M1 Benelli.

In the long run, what I would like to have is a longer charging handle to help my weak hand clear the optic, and an ambi magazine release that pivots off the left side of the receiver.

The only thing that failed during my initial test run - A new Holosun 510C! Its reflective glass must have launched into oblivion during one of the recoiling events.  RMA was issued by Holosun for a warranty call so no harm done there.  We will see how the old Vortex prism optic would handle the recoil.  If not, a new SwamFox Optics Kingslayer is on deck ready for a try out (or funeral).

Overall, I'm very pleased with this new toy.  I've seen so many mag-fed shotguns taken a dump in matches that I've RO'd, and told myself to stay away from them, but after watching Patrick's videos, I was convinced the 'better than sliced bread' for mag fed shotgun is here with the Gen-12.  Looks like I'll be joining in the Open Class soon 🙂.

Edited by PacMan
Add photo

On 10/22/2021 at 10:01 AM, PacMan said:

h0wSI56.jpg?2

The new Gen-12 18" is mated to a Sun Devil lower (Larue 2-stage trigger, std 308 carbine spring and buffer.  Both 5 and 10 rounds magazines fit perfectly.  Test functioned with 150 rds of #8/#7.5 birds, full power and low recoil 00 buck, 4 buck, full power and low recoil slugs, I was totally surprised that it ran without a single hiccup! More than 1/2 of the ammo tested came from my bag of match pickups (some were pretty ugly and rusted).  I even loaded a few magazines with them all mixed together (aka 'Happy Family' dish from the local Chinese diner 🤣). The short-recoil operation is definitely not softer than my Benelli M2, it is subjectively somewhere in between the M2 and M1 Benelli.

In the long run, what I would like to have is a longer charging handle to help my weak hand clear the optic, and an ambi magazine release that pivots off the left side of the receiver.

The only thing that failed during my initial test run - A new Holosun 510C! Its reflective glass must have launched into oblivion during one of the recoiling events.  RMA was issued by Holosun for a warranty call so no harm done there.  We will see how the old Vortex prism optic would handle the recoil.  If not, a new SwamFox Optics Kingslayer is on deck ready for a try out (or funeral).

Overall, I'm very pleased with this new toy.  I've seen so many mag-fed shotguns taken a dump in matches that I've RO'd, and told myself to stay away from them, but after watching Patrick's videos, I was convinced the 'better than sliced bread' for mag fed shotgun is here with the Gen-12.  Looks like I'll be joining in the Open Class soon 🙂.

Congratulations ! I think you should consider maybe getting an EOTech, I've gotten myself an EXPS3-0 in preparation for when the Gen 12 arrives.

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2021 at 6:01 AM, PacMan said:

h0wSI56.jpg?2

Quick update - Went out to sight in for slugs the other day.  I've made a couple of changes to this 1) Added a modified choke by SGM, 2) Changed out the stock to a Magpul Fixed Carbine stock, and put the SwampFox Kingslayer on top instead of the Vortex (just didn't like looking through a tube while swinging the gun.

From old stash - Wolf Performance 7/8 oz 1400 fps slugs, and Fiocchi 12SLUGLE 7/8 oz 1300 fps. Both performed well in my Benelli M2.  Wolf slugs did well beside beating me up a little when shot from support.  50 yds snaps were fun, the MGM B/C zone target rung loudly everytime.  Fiocchi was another story, I've never had any of them hung up at the M2 ejection port, but all 20 failed to properly extract and eject.  Bad/cheap hull construction I learned later through Patrick.  Now I know why they were so cheap back then when you can buy an 80 rounds can for 55 bux 🙄!  I didn't bother doing accuracy testing at 100 yds at this point since I need to rethink what to use for low recoil slugs.

00 Buck - 9 pellets patterned into a 20" radius at 25 yds.  #7 and 8 birdshots - Patterned into a 24"-ish radius at 25 yds. All impacts were at point of aim. I think the Modified choke is good to go.

The SwampFox made it through but I need to swap out the green for red reticle.  Many people raved about green color RDS but for me red is much better in bright sunny days.

In summary I'm liking this Gen12 shotgun!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 12:13 PM, PacMan said:

Quick update - Went out to sight in for slugs the other day.  I've made a couple of changes to this 1) Added a modified choke by SGM, 2) Changed out the stock to a Magpul Fixed Carbine stock, and put the SwampFox Kingslayer on top instead of the Vortex (just didn't like looking through a tube while swinging the gun.

From old stash - Wolf Performance 7/8 oz 1400 fps slugs, and Fiocchi 12SLUGLE 7/8 oz 1300 fps. Both performed well in my Benelli M2.  Wolf slugs did well beside beating me up a little when shot from support.  50 yds snaps were fun, the MGM B/C zone target rung loudly everytime.  Fiocchi was another story, I've never had any of them hung up at the M2 ejection port, but all 20 failed to properly extract and eject.  Bad/cheap hull construction I learned later through Patrick.  Now I know why they were so cheap back then when you can buy an 80 rounds can for 55 bux 🙄!  I didn't bother doing accuracy testing at 100 yds at this point since I need to rethink what to use for low recoil slugs.

00 Buck - 9 pellets patterned into a 20" radius at 25 yds.  #7 and 8 birdshots - Patterned into a 24"-ish radius at 25 yds. All impacts were at point of aim. I think the Modified choke is good to go.

The SwampFox made it through but I need to swap out the green for red reticle.  Many people raved about green color RDS but for me red is much better in bright sunny days.

Happy is working out for you PacMan, I have to submit my import paperwork with the Argentinian equivalent of the ATF next week, if I get lucky I might have my gen 12 around April/May.

Also, since we are talking about chokes, what do you think about this ones:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3302667361?pid=936584

Was considering buying one of each, I like those ones in particular because they would allow me to still use a muzzle brake, and since my gun will essentially be a 18 inch cut down to 15, those 3 inches of less barrel should compensate for the added weight of the chokes, I hope at least, what do you think ?

Edited by ard212

13 hours ago, ard212 said:

Happy is working out for you PacMan, I have to submit my import paperwork with the Argentinian equivalent of the ATF next week, if I get lucky I might have my gen 12 around April/May.

Also, since we are talking about chokes, what do you think about this ones:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3302667361?pid=936584

Was considering buying one of each, I like those ones in particular because they would allow me to still use a muzzle brake, and since my gun will essentially be a 18 inch cut down to 15, those 3 inches of less barrel should compensate for the added weight of the chokes, I hope at least, what do you think ?

That's the choke tube I'm using (seemed like the only game in town for that matter).  I put the original thread protector back on it with a bit of loc-tite.  Regarding the added weight, I don't think it really noticeable since most of weight sits at the upper receiver.  I don't have a brake so can't tell you how much the combination of choke tube + muzzle brake would affect the forward weight of the gun.

Hope you get your form approved quickly.

2 hours ago, PacMan said:

That's the choke tube I'm using (seemed like the only game in town for that matter).  I put the original thread protector back on it with a bit of loc-tite.  Regarding the added weight, I don't think it really noticeable since most of weight sits at the upper receiver.  I don't have a brake so can't tell you how much the combination of choke tube + muzzle brake would affect the forward weight of the gun.

Hope you get your form approved quickly.

Thanks PacMan ! Belive it not, all of this is incredibly helpful for me.

Form took 3 months last year, but at that time they had reduced staff because of Covid, guessing this time it might be a little faster, problem is, what actually takes time is adding the gun to the "approved list", I mean, configuration is legal, but someone has to add make/model to the list for the first time, import permits take only a week.

31 minutes ago, viper5243 said:

I have the full choke version. I only had it on for a short while. With both the jmac and v6 brake and the gun still cycled.

Thanks ! Yeah, I ordered both the G12 brake from Genesis and the RRD-4C 12 from JMAC.

1 hour ago, ard212 said:

Thanks PacMan ! Belive it not, all of this is incredibly helpful for me.

Form took 3 months last year, but at that time they had reduced staff because of Covid, guessing this time it might be a little faster, problem is, what actually takes time is adding the gun to the "approved list", I mean, configuration is legal, but someone has to add make/model to the list for the first time, import permits take only a week.

Thanks ! Yeah, I ordered both the G12 brake from Genesis and the RRD-4C 12 from JMAC.

You're welcome!

By the way, I added a Limbsaver recoil pad to the stock and boy, it sure made a huge difference in perceived recoil.  Since it added 5/8" LOP to the gun, I swapped out the stock back to a Magpul SL to accommodate the added LOP.

3 minutes ago, PacMan said:

You're welcome!

By the way, I added a Limbsaver recoil pad to the stock and boy, it sure made a huge difference in perceived recoil.  Since it added 5/8" LOP to the gun, I swapped out the stock back to a Magpul SL to accommodate the added LOP.

Yeah, I had a similar thing in mind, going with a Magpul CTR stock and this enhanced rubber pad:

https://magpul.com/enhancedrubberbutt-pad-0-70.html?mp_global_color=118

Also, am I the only guy here who paid for the left side charging handle ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 7:13 AM, PacMan said:

Pacman, in my area the Fiocchi low-recoil slugs have become the standard for 3gun and I am not sure what I would run if I didn't use them.  Have you figured out any good alternatives?  I wonder what Mr. Kelley is running?

I am getting ready to order the Gen12 upper but a little worried about slugs.  

Thanks

19 hours ago, window2time said:

Pacman, in my area the Fiocchi low-recoil slugs have become the standard for 3gun and I am not sure what I would run if I didn't use them.  Have you figured out any good alternatives?  I wonder what Mr. Kelley is running?

I am getting ready to order the Gen12 upper but a little worried about slugs.  

Thanks

Fiocchi slugs just sux eggs out of this shotty.  I gave it a few rounds last week just to see perhaps a different lot would be different, and nope, 5 out of 5 tanked the extraction/ejection cycle so I'm saving the rest for my Nellis.

I tested the Brenneke and they all worked beautifully, best accuracy out of this shotgun also. https://www.brennekeusa.com/law-enforcement-ammunition/thdr-tactical-home-defense/  

Next up was the good old standby B&P Target Slugs - No Go!  I didn't bring any of the newer 3-Gun B&P slugs but the older blue color target slugs failed to extract/eject.

I just got in a case of X-Treme Low Recoil slugs so will run another test after the holidays.