Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Genesis Arms Shotguns

dwzuspsa

Are there any forum members who own or know of anyone who has one of there.  They go on the DPMS lowers in 308 and are recoil operated like the Browning A-5 but just the uppers are $1400.  I would like some feed back before I lay out that much money 4 months before my retirement.  Thanks in advance-dwzuspsa.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I played with one a while back and they seem to be well built and would be a real contender but the mags are an issue. I spoke to them quite a while and they don't seem to have a plan for anything over 7-10 rounds, I explained that they would go nowhere in this sport if they didn't at least come up with a 20 round mag and that didn't seem to be a concern for them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Today I received a 10.5 in barrelled Genesis Arms upper.  Looking it over appears to be of high quality also got it with rem chokes installed.  Will take it out tommorrow Sat. to test fire and pattern.  Mounted C-more with 6 moa dot will have more info tommorrow.

I’d be interested in hearing how you like it. I like the idea of the 10.5”, but the price is high with so few reviews out. My VR80 was 1/3 the price of their upper! And they’re slow to bring out even a 10 round mag. 

The first came thru without the internal choke so I ordered a 10.5 inch ....that was what I wanted in the first place.  I am waiting for the right buffer weight and spring which should be here tommorrow or the next day.  Then I will test fire at the range.  Cody at Genesis arms told me they at molding the ten round mags in house and are working on them as I type this.  Will let you know here how it works.

I got the AR 10 buffer and spring, put that in the 10.5 inch Genesis Arms "other" amd took it out  to the range today with 50 rounds of mixed shotshells from 1.0 ounce at 1150fps and 3 dram at 1200 fps...every thing ran thru the shotgun with out any problems.  Recoil was stiff but not to bad and I could get thru the 5 round magazines as fast as I could pull the trigger...all in all I was very pleased with the first outing,  Genesis Arms seems like a good company to deal with....now just waiting for the ten round magazines.  So far so good.  Will work up an 1 1/8 load for the shotgun over the up coming week.

I just got back from the range with the Genesis Arms shotgun...the 10.5 version.  I have previous experience with many Saigas including 12 and 20 gauge.  I got one of the 1st MKA 1919 in the country and put the aluminum lower on that and put in theTooth and Nail trigger st....also got a Panzer arms.  The Genesis arms runs right out of the box.  The rest were not that reliable....the MKA probably the best but longevity was a problem...after 2 or 3000 round later started having feeding problems.  I have over 250 rounds thru the Genesis arms.   Tried the lowest velocity Win. shells, 985 fps and of course had to shoot those one at a time just for the hulls.  One ounce and 1 1/4 oz above 1075 just run and run.  Put on a V-6 brake.  Look cool and did not move the pattern with the brake so I think I will keep that on the shotgun.   Right now just waiting for the covid to leave so we can start the 3-gun season.  I would recommend the upper based on the reliability and function.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally....finally got out to shoot a 3-gun match.  Got the ten round mags last Wed. test fired them and number them.  Put 140 rounds through the Gen 12 of wally world 12 ga and not a single malfunction....kind of cool to shoot...put it by the other shotguns for pre-loading before one stage and one of the competitors said that an AR did not belong on the pre-load station ti I showed him the twelve gauge mags.   Now for 15 or 20 round mags to go with it....maybe some 5 round extensions?

Finished the 2nd 3-gun shoot at the Lodi Gun Club(Winnequa)....ran 3 boxes of lower recoil 7.5 thru the Genesis shotguns with out any problem...the 10 round magazine- got four- worked great.  They are tight tolerances and dropped two in the sand and had to clean them- the folllowers stuck in the body with the sand inside.  Worked great after that and on a plus got the spinner in four shots.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 7:47 PM, dwzuspsa said:

Finished the 2nd 3-gun shoot at the Lodi Gun Club(Winnequa)....ran 3 boxes of lower recoil 7.5 thru the Genesis shotguns with out any problem...the 10 round magazine- got four- worked great.  They are tight tolerances and dropped two in the sand and had to clean them- the folllowers stuck in the body with the sand inside.  Worked great after that and on a plus got the spinner in four shots.

The mags are shipping? Their web site still says pre-order.

Like I said  the magazines are tight tolerances and sand can lock them up....so I have been taking them apart if dropped in sand and cleaning them....so far they have run 100 per cent so I cannot complain.  When compared to other box fed shotguns mine has run 100 percent reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from the range with the new mags.

Some observations..

The 10s are slightly different dimensions vs the 5s. The 5s fit fine and drop free in Fulton and Aero lowers, but the 10s needed some material taken off to even fit in the Fulton, much less drop free, and still won't fit in the Aeros.

The shotgun ran fin with the 10s with the 1145, 1200 and 1250 1 1/8 oz loads I tried.

Recoil is stout, even with a PRS stock on there for weight.

Tried putting a GK02 brake on it, which tamed recoil quite a bit, but turned it into a single shot.

Played around with buffer weights, but couldn't find anything that would work better than ~50% with the brake on.

It's a fun novelty, but with the recoil being so heavy and no easy way to get it to run with a brake, I dont really see this as a contender to the Firebirds and Dissidents out there, esp not since it's in the same price range as those.

Edited by gose

Firebirds and Dissidents are more expensive, custom type guns, the Genesis is the out of the box reliable mag fed 12 I've waited for as a back up to my ultra reliable Versa Max tactical (which truly cycles *anything* without fail)

Recoil - eh, that's WAY down the priority list as a self defense gun - reliability and ease of magazine swap outs is by far #1.  From everything I've seen, the Genesis is flawless with everything except the very lightest target loads.  I'll wait patiently for my order and test it myself.

Edited by fzr100098

On 7/4/2020 at 6:34 PM, fzr100098 said:

Firebirds and Dissidents are more expensive, custom type guns, the Genesis is the out of the box reliable mag fed 12 I've waited for as a back up to my ultra reliable Versa Max tactical (which truly cycles *anything* without fail)

Recoil - eh, that's WAY down the priority list as a self defense gun - reliability and ease of magazine swap outs is by far #1.  From everything I've seen, the Genesis is flawless with everything except the very lightest target loads.  I'll wait patiently for my order and test it myself.

Actually, a complete Genesis Arms is more expensive than a Firebird, but yes, cheaper than a DA. However, a Genesis Arms shotgun will get pretty close to a DA once youve added the necessary race parts.

Im only talking about the guns as it pertains to competition, as I doubt anyone would really use a DA or FB for home defense and as such, the GA still has quite some ways to go to be competitive with the other two.

For home defense though, between the three, I would probably pick the GA as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Have another 3-gun coming up this weekend--so far I have not had a single failure on my Genesis shotgun.  So far so good hopefully we will see more come into the fray....nice to have an American made product compete with all the Turkey made stuff out there....the one thing I do recommend are the magazines...they are the right product for this type of shotgun.

On 7/4/2020 at 4:02 PM, gose said:

Tried putting a GK02 brake on it, which tamed recoil quite a bit, but turned it into a single shot.

That makes some sense, considering it is recoil operated (they are recoil operated, right?).

I used to shoot trap with an old Browning A5, and I always considered it to be quite soft shooting. But that was compared to shooting 3" and 3.5" magnums out of my hunting guns.... so I guess I don't have that much to compare it to, having never fired a Saiga, let alone one with a muzzle brake.

I might think about picking one of these up, are the magazines OK quality?