Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet detonated while pulling

MJinPA

I used to wonder about a misfire detonating when I dropped it on the ground. Then I had a misfire in a 500 S&W. As the cartridge was falling (in slow motion), I realized it might have been better to step off the concrete first so it would land on dirt, but it would probably be ok. I was wrong and it made the usual very loud bang. Nothing touched me but I searched everywhere for remnants. I expected the bullet to be laying nearby but nothing. No brass, no bullet and no un-burnt powder. Now I know.

On a totally unrelated note, I used to wonder if I could get a blowout on a tire that wasn't mounted on a vehicle..., now I know.

8 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

The cartridge wasn't being supported so it should have just popped the bullet out of the brass. I'm not sure why you didn't find anything, weird.

While in theory you are correct, that's not usually how it happens in real life. 

Cases shred, primer is sometimes ejected, projectile can be tossed a good distance.  I've seen pieces from a .40 s&w case impale themselves into a HDPE container a couple of feet away. 

28 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

While in theory you are correct, that's not usually how it happens in real life. 

Cases shred, primer is sometimes ejected, projectile can be tossed a good distance.  I've seen pieces from a .40 s&w case impale themselves into a HDPE container a couple of feet away. 

Maybe but they've acted like that every time I've seen it. Even if you throw them into a fire, it's just like popcorn, lol. I can't understand why a free falling cartridge would do anything you stated above but I guess life's funny like that, eh? 

Edited by 4n2t0

I expected to find some pieces. My best guess is that the only brass I could buy at the time was Magtech which was very thick walled, much thicker than what the Hornady factory ammo used, allowing the powder to build a little more pressure. If I recall the powder was Titegroup which is fast for that caliber.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:27 AM, Sarge said:

Could it have been static discharge that set it off? If you barely touched it that seems just as likely a cause as anything. If flash hole was exposed static may have set off powder instead of primer if the round was loaded.

I guess it is possible? The round was not loaded,  I caught it when it was misprimed at the priming station.

34 minutes ago, Intel6 said:

I guess it is possible? The round was not loaded,  I caught it when it was misprimed at the priming station.

Hard to tell I guess. I suppose anything is possible.

I've been using the same kinetic puller since 2002 and finally broke it this weekend. Never had an issue with it up till now, hopefully the next one is at least half as good. 

Even if a round were to go off in the puller, I don't have the case pointed at my face or body anyway, so I'm not too concerned about it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Having just run chrono for the umpteent time. I have pulled and/or been there when hundreds of rounds per match were pulled. Never had a round go off. Just saying.

With ammo that is not damaged I think it’s a non-issue. The one I had blow up was in the pull pile bc the primer was smashed from off center insertion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I read somewhere of people using Lee type shellholders instead of the jaws that come with the kinetic pullers. Said the shell holder allows the round movement, and can get the primer against the shellholder, and cause it to ignite. Makes sense I guess. Never had a primer go off in a round except a detonation outside the gun when I was clearing a jam. Went off essentially in my palm, blew up my pinky tip, and left a lightning bolt shaped cut in my palm. Also scared the sh!t out of me and the ROs. I no longer clear jams with my hand over the top of the slide, or flip them in the air to catch. 

IN HOSPITAL BEFORE CLEANUP 1.jpg