Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
RogueTactical

Alpha Single Stack - Oversized Bushing Barrel

Thought I would share some progress photos of a USPSA single stack build with quite a few ideas I've been wanting to implement for a long time now.

Chief among them, is a bushing barrel the size of a bull barrel in order to reduce felt recoil. USPSA single stack rules requires that a bushing configuration must be used to be a legal configuration - despite of barrel size. I believe Chuck Warner was responsible for this :)

Anyways, I decided to take it upon myself to see how large of a barrel I could actually stuff into a bushing, and then into a slide. It comes out pretty close to, and in actuality a bit larger, a bull barrel diameter. This requires me to make a custom barrel and bushing from scratch.

In addition, it is my belief that extractors and ejectors should be replaceable by an end user - which has led me towards an external extractor of my own design as well as a stout single lug ejector. 

Next up is fitting small parts and then a diet to make weight.

49081973887_7d56cdb584_c.jpg

49081953707_176bec84c0_c.jpg

49081225758_ef5c0a4337_c.jpg

49081225873_1decccd5bb_c.jpg49081953817_0e694c2b5c_c.jpg

49081953757_f8373a4f59_c.jpg

49081953797_6fc30bef61_c.jpg

49081750186_f3d1dc9b56_c.jpg

Edited by RogueTactical

Replying just to keep an eye on the thread...Is that a CZ style front sight held in by the bushing?

1 hour ago, bofe954 said:

Replying just to keep an eye on the thread...Is that a CZ style front sight held in by the bushing?

I use CZ/Tanfo front sights as standard. The rear sight dovetails along the bore as well for a clean aesthetic which mirrors the front sight.

Since the sights come with setscrews, the bushing provides a redundant retention mechanism. 

Made some progress on this build. Chopped the dustcover down and did some weight loss mods to make weight. Next up is to swap the trigger, final cleanup, and off to the coaters.

49388112302_e15e098c3e_c.jpg

Is this one stainless or "chromoly"? I believe you do both for frames. What about slides?

On 1/17/2020 at 7:19 AM, perttime said:

Is this one stainless or "chromoly"? I believe you do both for frames. What about slides?

This build is chromoly. I can do either - but prefer chromoly.

That’s super nice. I love the innovations. I mostly shoot CZ’s and their extractor is pretty much trouble free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the innovation and looks.

if you don’t mind sharing, what are you doing to the trigger bow?

On 1/19/2020 at 3:53 PM, mach1soldier said:

Love the innovation and looks.

if you don’t mind sharing, what are you doing to the trigger bow?

The trigger bow was too tall to fit the trigger slot in the frame. The picture shows it in a surface grinder, which allows me to easily remove a small amount of material at a time to check fit within the frame.

On 1/22/2020 at 6:15 PM, mike4045 said:

So what would a barrel/bushing combo run in 40?

Top-ends aren't for sale by themselves. Our single stack build with an oversized bushing barrel starts at $3500 with a nitride finish. 

8 hours ago, RogueTactical said:

Top-ends aren't for sale by themselves. Our single stack build with an oversized bushing barrel starts at $3500 with a nitride finish. 

Thanks for the info. 

About the same if you don't want a bushing?

I was just reading an article on some customized 1911s, and a number of smiths had made small mag wells that do not extend the grip at all. Metal added to outside of the bottom of the grip, shaped to match the shortened grip panels, and funnel machined/ground/filed on the inside. Would that be hard to do?

My old 1911ish pistol has no magwell but the inside is shaped to give slight funneling.

51 minutes ago, perttime said:

About the same if you don't want a bushing?

I was just reading an article on some customized 1911s, and a number of smiths had made small mag wells that do not extend the grip at all. Metal added to outside of the bottom of the grip, shaped to match the shortened grip panels, and funnel machined/ground/filed on the inside. Would that be hard to do?

My old 1911ish pistol has no magwell but the inside is shaped to give slight funneling.

Just a bull barrel setup? That in itself would be a little bit cheaper.

I’ve got some Chen magwells that I believe are what you are asking for.

Edited by RogueTactical

Chen magwell! That's it.

Looks like he charges $170 or $220 for it, depending on model - and won't sell it to just anybody. Obviously, it is more work for the builder, too.

I like that idea, especially as my hands aren't all that large.

I'm working with them now and trying to make some special arrangements to suit USPSA builds. Feel free to send me an email with what you are envisioning: Eric@rogue-tac.com

Sorry, I must settle for kicking the tyres for now :(

The ideas that I keep turning in my head include 4 and 5 inch 1911 in .40 or .45, and a 9mm 1911 with a small comp.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:23 PM, RogueTactical said:

This build is chromoly. I can do either - but prefer chromoly.

is there much of a difference in durability? Why chromoly over stainless? Easier to machine? Does the material matter when choosing nitride or DLC finish? 

just curious

On 2/6/2020 at 5:29 AM, Pfiddy said:

is there much of a difference in durability? Why chromoly over stainless? Easier to machine? Does the material matter when choosing nitride or DLC finish? 

just curious

To draw comparisons on stainless vs carbon would only lead to weak generalities without knowing steel grade and temper. 416 machines beautifully, as does 17-4. I prefer chromoly from a hand work point of view for final blending. If rust/humidity is a concern in your local area I would pick stainless with a good coating.

I've got a few pistols in each DLC and nitride right now, I'll try and get around to make a video outlining the benefits of each.