Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rollsizer upgrades

So, I bought a Rollsizer about 8 months ago, and I'd say it's an ok machine and fairly reliable. But several things about it are pretty poorly done, particularly considering the price point.  One was the base and discharge chute, which suffered from poor design with flimsy, oversized parts (mine where bent when I received the machine) and an offset mount for case feeder.  The parts are also substandard in that they're made from cheap material with incredibly poor welds (although not a structural issue, I'd expect better for a $2k machine). So, basically, I redesigned and made a new base, along with a more compact and effective discharge chute.  I also relocated the case feed mount so it's a straight run with a solid Dillon feed tube, instead of the flexible, offset tube.  With the solid tube and straight drop, there's zero hangups as compared to the constant problems I had with the original design.  The only issues I have now is the case feeder getting jammed, which is common for the Dillon feeder, and the spring wires on the cam assembly bending due to fatigue.  Working on those next.

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

1 minute ago, MikeyScuba said:

I’ve never had an issue with the discharge chute, what issues were you having?

It wasn't really a problem.  But it was about four times the size it needed to be.  The main issue was the base, which was crap.  And since I was redoing that, I figured I'd redo the discharge chute as well.

the spring wire on the case feeder cam thing are a pain in the ass. I'm assuming they are designed to fail in case of a jam, but they bend incredibly easily and quickly just from regular use. 

love the base though, and moving of the case feeder mount is smart, should have been that way from the start. 

I feed my rollsizer from a 650 case feeder that has the immortobot motor upgrade.  I cut a hole in my bench where my 650 sits and feed a hose all the way down to my rollsizer that sits on a milk crate below.  Works like a charm.  The cases have gotten jammed up inside the pipe -rarely-.  The rollsizer makes enough vibration to keep things flowing.  I do get jams from cases where the  primers are sticking out.  I feed it clean, sized and deprimed brass.  It’s the last step in my case prep.

the Dillon cases feeder?  It’s running on nitrous with the upgrade, keeps up with all 6 pins.  But oh boy does it jam.  Sometimes 15 minutes nothing.  Then

jam

jam

jam jam jam

&$5(&$*###!!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm not doing rifle brass.  Just 9 and 40.  The problem with the original feed tube is that because it's oversized in diameter, the cases would often come down on a slight angle and get hung up on the metal funnel thing, even though the metal tube is tapered sharp as a knife.  I suppose just going to a smaller diameter tube would have worked.  But I like the straight feed, solid /smaller diameter tube better.  It just seems like a better way to go.  And I now have zero hangups there.  I also have the ammobot motor upgrade for my case feeder and and it will definitely keep up with the machine with all six pins.  But it's a jam-o-matic.  I'm not sure how to fix that, but will figure something out.  I really would like an MA Systems collator, but I only do about 15-18k pieces a year, so I can't justify the cost.  As for the spring wires constantly bending, I thought I saw in another post that he's coming out with an upgrade for that.  Hopefully, it'll be out soon.  If not, I think I'm going to try a piece of flat spring steel in place of the wire.  That should be strong enough do the job but flexible enough to not have the bending issues.

Problem is you need something that's flexible because if it jams up, the die wheel keeps turning and if the rod is rigid, it's either going to bend or break.  So you need something that's strong enough to work the feeder when it's running normally, but flexible enough not to break when it jams.

Since I adjusted where the tube drops the case, and the height of the tube above the feed arm I have had zero cases fail to properly feed into the machine in over 10k pieces of 9mm brass.   I added a digital counter and I did 5,353 cases without one issue in just two sessions.   No bent pins, either. 

I have it dropping the case about as close to that bent steel guide piece as possible, which seems to prevent it from bouncing.     You may be able to see it in this test video. 

49 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

What is your feeder mounted on?  On mine it was where your digital counter is.

My 650.  I just have the rollsizer sitting on a box for now. Once my RL1100 shows up and I mount it to my new bench, the Rollsizer will go right next to it.   I ordered one of the Hasgrok Feedinator's to try with the Rollsizer. 

I'm only doing my own stuff, so the MA collator is hard to justify.  But I'll probably get fed up with the Dillon and go that route eventually.  Btw, I met the guy who designed the MA collator and started the company.  That was probably 25 years ago.  Friend of mine who had 4 Star reloaders with MA collators knew him.  If I recall correctly, he also designed the fuel door/gas can system that's used by NASCAR and other race cars.  Interesting guy. 

I have the Commercial Rollsizer machine and use it to rollsize all of my brass along with offering roll sizing for local shooters. I have had it over a year now and its still running like a champ. I don't know how many cases I have run through it so far but it has been a LOT. If I had to guess on the quantity of brass run through it I would have to say at least 25 - 30 full five gallon buckets of 9mm & 40 caliber brass which would easily be in the 150K - 200K range. I have only added two upgrades to it since I got the machine. The first was a case drop counter that is built into the bottom side of the case feeder. This was required to keep an accurate tally of brass processed when running it through the machine for others. The second upgrade was to switch out the standard screw/pins in the die with a bushing roller setup. I ran the standard screw/pins long enough that they were worn half way through from normal use. I am not sure if this bushing roller setup is going to last longer or not. I will have to wait and see how it goes over the next 200K.

With the standard motor in the old style Dillon case feeder I can only use 4 pins in the die to keep it from outrunning the case feeder. I know I am losing out on some processing speed with this configuration but it seems to run with the least amount of drama in this configuration. It can usually chew through a 5 gallon bucket of brass in about 45 minutes in the current configuration and that is plenty fast for my needs and patience. 

Rollsizer Roller Pins.JPG

Case Counter.JPG

Edited by CHA-LEE

Those roller bearings are a good idea.  Going to have to try that.  I also like the counter mounted on the casefeeder like that. Where did you get it?  With my current setup, I can run all six pins and for the most part, it runs great.  But I have two issues.  One is with the casefeeder, mostly due to the speed, not dropping the cases fast enough and then case getting jammed between the housing and rotating plate.  The second is jams in the machine, which bends the feed wire thing.  That is almost always due to an errant 9mm case inside a 40 case, which causes it to fall over and wedge between the rotating die and stationary die.