Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger drops hammer from half cock. Is this “illegal”??

Lucreau

Was reading “trigger tuning tips” on Brazos from ‘04. I dropped in a new SVI trigger bow, which replaced another SVI trigger. With the old trigger, when the hammer was at half cock, the trigger couldn’t drop the hammer. With the new trigger it does. I have the pre travel tab bent all the way back to give it the most pre travel but this still will drop the hammer from half cock when squeezed. My question: is this considered illegal? He mentions in the article that this is checked at chrono stages. This is the excerpt:

The hammer should not drop.  If your gun fails this test, you either need more overtravel or there may be damage to the half-cock notch or sear.  Be sure to fix the problem, as this is a safety feature that must function on your gun.  At a match, this is checked at the chrono stage.”

I’ve never seen the chrono guys half cock my gun and pull the trigger. I would not be very happy if they tried it.

I have seen the chrono guys fully cock the hammer, apply the thumb safety and pull the trigger to see if the hammer falls. 

49 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Illegal?

You mean against USPSA rules?  I doubt it.

We do have a USPSA rulebook on line.  I know it's a lot of work, but you can always read it and see what it says.

I did. Couldn’t find anything but was seeking further advice. Thanks for the input

Got this fixed last night. Comparing the new bow to the old it was slightly longer. Shortened the bow with a punch while installed and now the half cock engaged, and doesn’t drop with the trigger