Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee's new brass processing machine

On 10/5/2020 at 5:49 AM, ML123 said:

I am guessing it can be made to work with .223 pretty easily too.

Yes, all it takes is the proper size tube to make the connection.

It is a little bit trickier marrying a Lee case feeder  & collator into the Dillon 450/550 press, but can be accomplished.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2020 at 7:53 PM, greatlakes08 said:

Has anyone processed a large quantity of 223 brass with this machine yet? Does it do just as good of a job swaging the primer pockets as the Dillon 1050? I tried the Swageit with my 650 and it was a major let down...

I did a few hundred as I was converting to 300blk. The issue I had was that the decap die wasn't flaring enough, so it's a pain to try to align the rod to case mouth. It's a tight fit, and the double sided shell holder isn't up to that job.

But if you solve that (just adjust the die I guess), then the swaging performance seems good to me.

In my case I just changed my steps around and now step 1 is cutting the necks off. But the swaging quality has been 100% for me so far. I had zero issues seating primers.

There are some vids on youtube where people are using go/no pocket gauges complaining. I don't have one. But my primers seat fine and aren't too loose.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm maybe 5-6 months in on using the APP, and it generally has done what is asked of it.  Had to loctite the fasteners for the two vertical guide rods, once, but other than that, no real issues.  Mostly I'm using it as an inexpensive bullet sizer. Not bothering with the automated feed set up, I just pick them up one at a time and toss them in. Swager seems to work ok, although I don't use it much. The casefeeder from Lee works, maybe at a 90% rate?  It's faster than one at a time, for sure, but there's occasional fiddling with cases that tip or hang up. For the money, I'm pretty happy with it. If you spray a bit of Pledge on the plastic sliding parts, they work a lot better once you start getting some dirt and wear. 

On 9/2/2020 at 9:00 PM, OleGreyGhost said:

@Farmer,

Problem solved😄

Called Lee & explained the problem with the ring of brass.  After some coaxing, he agreed to send both swager rods under warranty.

Ran a dozen .556 cases thru without any problems.  The Ballistic Tool gauge slides all the way in with a tight fit.  Was also able to dial back the amount of pressure required to open the pocket.

Will test the large swager punch tomorrow.

Finally got around to getting new punches. Lee wasn’t answering the phones so just emailed them and they sent two new ones out. The small primer punch is quite a bit shorter with more radius than the old one. It does work better and no more rings. Thanks for the tip about contacting them, obviously there was a problem. 

So I processed a medium flat rate of 223 brass over this past weekend on the APP. Deprime/flare, then swage.

There were numerous issues, but I got it done at a pretty good rate anyways.

1. Decapping is FAST, like there isn't a case feeder I know of that could keep up with this thing. I got blisters, but I was running 800 rounds an hour, easy, with the universal case feeder thingy.

2. Swaging was slower, but I had issues:

- Somtimes the swage punch would get stuck in cases.

- The linear spring for the feeder kept popping out... like a LOT

- Occasionally the top of the case feed slide will launch itself 15 feet across the room

- Even flared there are issues with aligning the swage rod with a 223 case mouth. I find if you take the lower die out and rotate it this gets better.

- And of course adjustments on the case feed tube suck... access to the screws is difficult, they loosen, and if a 223 case get in the tube upside down it's a pretty big hassle as the base won't fit through the gap at the bottom of the tube if you're setup properly.

Also, I get like the smallest thread engagement possible on the primer catch bottle. Looking at it wrong sends it flying.

Got mine set up today and it works surprisingly well for swaging LC brass. I was able to process multiple batches of 100 with the slowest taking ~9.25 mins and the fastest at 8.5 per 100 cases. much faster than the superswager and more pleasant to operate for sure. I did have some cases launch across my shop and the top of the case feed slide came off once. 

All in all it performs a level above its price point. 

I set mine up last week and ran some 223 both decapping and swaging and both seem to work fairly well although feeding would have a hiccup here and there.

I decided to setup for decapping and Sizing 9mm in one pass. Wow I filled my primer catcher completely full twice over Thanksgiving between eating a lot. Not sure how many shiny sized ready to run pieces I now have but it’s a lot. I filled one canister and almost another. 

This brass was picked up from a 3 day training class and was just swept up and bagged/ boxed. I would just put in a small tray 100-130 at a time shoot with One Shot and run as fast as I could go thru a RCBS carbide die I had laying  around. 

Then I would throw about 800-1000 in a wet tumbler and clean.

A6D8A53B-8312-41BA-8E9B-E1BC998D81F4.jpeg

Edited by venatic

• 1 month later...

Got my setup going today and thought I would share a pic. I looked at purchasing the adapter mentioned earlier in this topic from eBay but I was able to make it work with some 3/4 pipe, 3/4 pipe flange and the 223 case feed adapter from my 650.

thumbnail_IMG_5325.jpg

10 hours ago, greatlakes08 said:

Got my setup going today and thought I would share a pic. I looked at purchasing the adapter mentioned earlier in this topic from eBay but I was able to make it work with some 3/4 pipe, 3/4 pipe flange and the 223 case feed adapter from my 650.

thumbnail_IMG_5325.jpg

Looks good and if I decide to keep using the APP it will be my next mod

I am not having much luck with swaging on the APP. I have run a few hundred cases through and I can get all the primer pockets to gauge with a BA tool but some of them are still tight and difficult to prime when you go to reload.  The press is flimsy and the lower spring loaded swage part fills up with brass shavings and start to stick leaving tight pockets and having to stop take it apart and clean it.

I am thinking of using the Swage kit upper die with anvil from Lee in the toolhead to support the shell plate and trying a swageit underneath on my 750xl.  

Anyone have any thoughts on doing this?  It would seem in the die would be pushing on the brass to swage it and not pushing up against the shell plate. At that point would just be holding the brass in place like it was designed to do and you can adjust the die for the amount of pressure you need to swage a case properly.

Or am I just not using the APP correctly?  Here is a pick of a few of primers I am having trouble seating correctly

1201201906 sm.jpg

41 minutes ago, ML123 said:

I am not having much luck with swaging on the APP. I have run a few hundred cases through and I can get all the primer pockets to gauge with a BA tool but some of them are still tight and difficult to prime when you go to reload.  The press is flimsy and the lower spring loaded swage part fills up with brass shavings and start to stick leaving tight pockets and having to stop take it apart and clean it.

I am thinking of using the Swage kit upper die with anvil from Lee in the toolhead to support the shell plate and trying a swageit underneath on my 750xl.  

Anyone have any thoughts on doing this?  It would seem in the die would be pushing on the brass to swage it and not pushing up against the shell plate. At that point would just be holding the brass in place like it was designed to do and you can adjust the die for the amount of pressure you need to swage a case properly.

Or am I just not using the APP correctly?  Here is a pick of a few of primers I am having trouble seating correctly

1201201906 sm.jpg

I do not recommend the swagit. I tried it with my 650 and was very disappointed. I have not had the issue with the brass rings myself. Maybe adjust the swage punch some more on the APP...

After running a few hundred rounds through the APP the case inserter seems to stick every once in a while and when it releases it launches the riser and the brass across the room. Im just using this press for 223 and 308 which should use the same riser so I was thinking about gluing the riser to the case inserter. Anyone think this is a bad idea?

My cases are all clean also so no dirt on the case inserter track and the press is inside my house so dirt/dust shouldn't be an issue. I have seen some posts on other forums about using mineral oil, or silicone on the track to keep it running smoothly which I am going to try...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 4:54 PM, greatlakes08 said:

After running a few hundred rounds through the APP the case inserter seems to stick every once in a while and when it releases it launches the riser and the brass across the room. Im just using this press for 223 and 308 which should use the same riser so I was thinking about gluing the riser to the case inserter. Anyone think this is a bad idea?

My cases are all clean also so no dirt on the case inserter track and the press is inside my house so dirt/dust shouldn't be an issue. I have seen some posts on other forums about using mineral oil, or silicone on the track to keep it running smoothly which I am going to try...

Sometimes a case will tilt and hang up on the drop tube holder.  This causes the spring to stretch and then when the case releases  its launch time. Raise the case feeder just a little bit to see if that helps. Also helps to slow down a little and pay attention, it’s not a competition. 😁  I use motor mica on my slides and others have used Pledge polish. You don’t want anything oily as that will just gum things up worse.