Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why no chamber Glock .45acp after reload in 550 press?

So tomorrow is Glock match. I do have enough factory bullets but ?

yesterday we short practice. Neither my store bought plated Berry’s nor my Bear Creek Moly 200 gn would go into battery 100%. 
oal is 1.244” and 1.256” ; diameter is same throughout .470"

p.s. don’t ask me for pics🥴 my Photobucket is full. 
much obliged 

Edited by Max It

Many possibilities.

- Your OAL is longer than standard. I'm sure Glocks are made to run on standard size cartridges.

- Any trouble with seating the bullets straight?

- There may be more possibilities.

Have you loaeded those bullets before?

hi Pert, OAL is stated above. I thought that if they were long my chamber checker would have shown that. And I tried them with two barrels; my Lone Wolf and the factory Glock, same story. Besides its only a few of every batch of 100.

and Yes i have loaded around 6,000 for this Glock over the years. Now i am addressing this mostly because I had all three types and both barrels and lots of time at the outdoor range with a simulated Glock match set up with my friends.

Any ideas?

i will  clean the chamber and throat now;  since you mention it.

but I used two different barrels and that alerted me to the problem.

No I should put some thru the checker now, these I have left.

Load a dummy without powder and push the bullet deeper and deeper until you find the required depth for your gun, where it will drop in and spin freely.

(Also ensure that your brass is crimped enough: there should be absolutely no outward flare of your brass.)

In 9mm at least, the 5th generation Glocks have extremely short chambers, while all older guns will eat anything that fits into the magazine. Perhaps that carries over to the 45s?

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Echoing what MemphisMech sated - I ran into a similar issue with the M&P 2.0 9mm chambers, they are very short.  So short in fact I wound up going to completely different bullet and load for them vs my 1911 9mm guns :(.

You can determine exactly why they don't fit your chamber by using the method described at this link:    https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/reloading-tips-the-plunk-test/99389

Once you've determined why they don't fit, you can make whatever changes necessary to make them work.

Use your barrel's chamber.  A case gauge is only useful if it is the exact same size as your chamber. 

For right now I re-crimped 30’rounds of my homemade; both the plated and the moly’s. They seem to fit chamber checker better. However with comments from OP: dude I’m going to try with the barrels again only loose. 

ok, so i re-crimped 200 rounds or so. Once i determined that more crimp did not break the plating/ or moly coating. 

And now i have only one failure to go into battery out of 50 rounds I fired. Better but no cigar.

I am going to look at the link from 'Dude' now.

Resize a case, drop in your Glock chamber. If it fits flush or a little below flush the problem is your bullet. If it doesn’t then your resize die is the problem.  Measure the length of a few bullets. If your using a die that seats off the ogive of the bullet then your oal’s are going to vary quite a bit. Find your max oal, and then shorten by 20 thou. and you should be good to go. 

On 11/15/2019 at 8:45 AM, dillon said:

Maximum OAL for 45ACP is 1.275". Your crimp measurement is fine. Are the chamber and throat clean? Regarding rounds that don't go into battery 100%, did you chamber-check those afterward?

Additionally, I had always gone with the less crimp the better. However now that I do the ‘plunk’ test I find that more is better. It doesn’t break the surface of the moly or plating. 
tomorrow is my next test; I shortened all remaining 200 rounds to 1.275” also. 

On 11/15/2019 at 5:32 PM, Max It said:

hi Pert, OAL is stated above. ...

Oooops. I must have clicked a wrong link when I went to check what the standard length is in inches. My calipers don't read inches.

Edited by perttime