Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Recommendation for slide milling

gunner01

I would like to get the slide on one of my CZ SP01 Shadows milled for an SRO.  Can I get some recommendations for getting this work done?

CZ Custom

Cajun Gunworks

Vulcan Machine Werks

Fire4Effect

Primary Machine

I think I would give some preference to a company that also has a rear site cover plate available for their cut but that would just be one factor.  Current backlog, price, and quality of work are factors as well.  Thanks

Edited by gunner01
added SP01 to be clear not Shadow 2

I’m really happy with the CZC plate system. It allows for switching optics if you don’t like the SRO and want to try something else later and the also have a cover plate do you could go back to iron sights if desired.

I really like the idea of changeable mounting plates.  Does anyone have a picture of a Shadow milled with CZC plate system with an SRO mounted.  I know it is going to sit higher than a direct mount system.  How much of a disadvantage (if any) is this higher stance going to be?

Fire4efects has done three of my dads TS. Will does great work and if you dont want his standard milling look, he will work with you to get you something you want. Also from what I understand will has come up with a pretty sick way for multiple optics mounting with interchangeable blocks or something like that. I dont keep up with the slide mounted optic stuff like I should, i shoot open.

13 hours ago, gunner01 said:

I really like the idea of changeable mounting plates.  Does anyone have a picture of a Shadow milled with CZC plate system with an SRO mounted.  I know it is going to sit higher than a direct mount system.  How much of a disadvantage (if any) is this higher stance going to be?

I’ll get you one tonight when I get home. 

14 hours ago, gunner01 said:

How much of a disadvantage (if any) is this higher stance going to be?

I shot an adapter-plate gun last year and a direct-milled one for all of 2019.

Milled into the slide is the way to go if you want to effortlessly switch between irons and optics. If you plan to shoot the dot gun exclusively it’s not an issue.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I shot an adapter-plate gun last year and a direct-milled one for all of 2019.

Milled into the slide is the way to go if you want to effortlessly switch between irons and optics. If you plan to shoot the dot gun exclusively it’s not an issue.

That sounds like good advice, thanks.

19 hours ago, gunner01 said:

Here you go. Sorry don’t know why it spun it 90 degrees. That’s a RMR btw. 

DD9C220E-05A8-4E3F-AE4D-8E5A7FF5ABBA.jpeg

Edited by Blue Jacket

Pretty sure CZC is the only one that does a universal plate, so if that's a sticking point then you've only got the one option. On the other hand, the RMR/SRO cut also works with Holosun so you've got 3 good optics that fit the pattern if you really think you're going to mix and match (highly unlikely).

13 hours ago, Wrecks said:

Pretty sure CZC is the only one that does a universal plate, so if that's a sticking point then you've only got the one option. On the other hand, the RMR/SRO cut also works with Holosun so you've got 3 good optics that fit the pattern if you really think you're going to mix and match (highly unlikely).

Good point, but I also like the ability to add a rear site plate back on the gun.

6 hours ago, eerw said:

CZC offers the RDS plate cut, we can also direct mill for the optic too.

right now my primary is RDS, my backup is direct milled.

Leaning strongly towards CZC plate cut.  Roughly, What kind of lead time are you running right now.

Is the direct mill cut the same depth as the plate cut, so in effect you gain exactly the height of the plate when using an optic with the plate?

Edited by gunner01

6 hours ago, eerw said:

CZC offers the RDS plate cut, we can also direct mill for the optic too.

right now my primary is RDS, my backup is direct milled.

Do you have any difficulty switching between the guns and instantly finding the dot?

1 hour ago, gunner01 said:

Leaning strongly towards CZC plate cut.  Roughly, What kind of lead time are you running right now.

Is the direct mill cut the same depth as the plate cut, so in effect you gain exactly the height of the plate when using an optic with the plate?

We are at about 6-7 weeks . 
the plate forms the top parts of the FP channel so it is about as low as direct milling is.

no trouble on transition between dot and iron sights

On 11/14/2019 at 9:29 PM, gunner01 said:

Here’s mine mounted on an SP-01, it can be mounted a bit lower on a Shadow but this gives you a good idea what it looks like.EFEE3199-6AC8-41A7-A220-F798487AC52E.thumb.jpeg.ed50cf649e7a034811887c7d02008110.jpeg

Edited by mveto

On 11/14/2019 at 1:18 PM, CharlieD said:

Primary Machine are perfectionists.  Everything they’ve done for me is beautiful, and their turnaround time is extremely fast. 

I totally agree. Just got my S2 slide back in 14 days from the date I shipped it. I was blown away by the overall quality of machine work and finishing. These guys are 1st class machinists that actually put a premium on quality work and excellent customer service.

A6F9A36D-1446-4ADF-9164-E5CC1455C9BF.jpeg

Edited by igolfat8