Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Never Reloaded. Have Some Questions.

XrayDoc88

4 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

1) Use at least 0.2gr increments when testing.

2) Are we still talking about a 125gr HAP over CFE Pistol? If so and you want them stout go right to book max at 4.8gr (maybe some at 4.6gr for comparison).

test.thumb.png.0a5175c7650d88333db3744851cf3ee6.png

Yes, that's the bullet and the powder I chose to learn with.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reloading 9mm with great success.  Now I'm switching to .40 S&W.  The recipe I've found is very similar, but not exact to the components I've purchased.  The powder is the same.  The recipe specifies Hornady 180 gr XTP bullets and Winchester SP, small pistol primers.  I have Hornady 180 gr HAP bullets and CCI small pistol 500 primers.  I assume the bullets are essentially identical.  But does the primer difference matter?  Thanks!

Nah. you may find with precision stuff that primer changes your POI, but I've never noticed it with pistol. I interchange Win, Federal, and CCI all the time with no difference.

Now, there IS a difference in the sensitivity of primers. Like federal is very sensitive, and CCI not so much, with Winchester somewhere in the middle. So some guys with light striker springs or hammersprings can get lightstrikes on harder primers like CCI. But you should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I found S&B to be much weaker than top shelf primers. They wouldn’t reliably work with a case full of WAC. Squibs, even hang fires. Took them out in the garage and fired primed empty cases and they were so weak very little flame out the barrel 

On 11/14/2019 at 11:21 AM, zzt said:

I think your rational for starting to reload is faulty. 9mm practice ammo is cheap.  You can easily find a factory round that matches the ballistics of your HST rounds.  147gr @ 1000fps is a very, very common factory load.

Oh a couple months ago 9mm ammo was pretty cheap, but it is not now!!! Even in the places you can find factory loaded ammunition, for sale. everybody sold out. This is why you reload this is why you buy a reloader and supplies and put it in the back of the closet. I had to dig mine out and start reloading again. I just picked up 3000 125 plated bullets and 3000 pieces of cleaned brass for 230 bucks. Just a thought, just a thought.

Edited by usmc1974

3 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

Oh a couple months ago 9mm ammo was pretty cheap, but it is not now!!! Even in the places you can find factory loaded ammunition, for sale. everybody sold out. This is why you reload this is why you buy a reloader and supplies and put it in the back of the closet. I had to dig mine out and start reloading again. I just picked up 3000 125 plated bullets and 3000 pieces of cleaned brass for 230 bucks. Just a thought, just a thought.

When you can buy 147gr @ 985fps for under 15 cents each it makes no sense to start reloading, especially if you don't shoot much.  The initial expense is significant, even if you go the SDB route.  Plus, buying a bunch of cases, primers and bullets to sit around just in case doesn't make sense.  Yes, the current situation is a problem.  We have been here before.  You could be burned if you are the type to buy a couple of boxes at a time.  If you ordered a case or two at a time with free shipping, you are still good to go.  I learned a long time ago that it pays to have a years supply of everything on hand to start.  When I get halfway through I order another years supply.  Even if a lot of it is back ordered I still get it in time.

I shoot 15,000+ major and minor Open loads in the course of a year.  I reload for them.  I count it a blessing (and a cost saving) that I can shoot good, inexpensive factory 9mm ammo in my PCC for SCSA.  That's 5,000 rounds I don't have to reload.

The OP wants to practice with less expansive ammo than the HST they carry.  Blazer 147 @ 985 is perfect at $7.35/50 shipped, as long as you stocked up.  It's the stocking up that is important.  Right now I could shoot for 16 months with what I have on hand at the moment.  When the hoarding stops, prices will plummet, just like they did the last time.  When they do, I'll stock up again.

42 minutes ago, zzt said:

When you can buy 147gr @ 985fps for under 15 cents each it makes no sense to start reloading, especially if you don't shoot much.  The initial expense is significant, even if you go the SDB route.  Plus, buying a bunch of cases, primers and bullets to sit around just in case doesn't make sense.  Yes, the current situation is a problem.  We have been here before.  You could be burned if you are the type to buy a couple of boxes at a time.  If you ordered a case or two at a time with free shipping, you are still good to go.  I learned a long time ago that it pays to have a years supply of everything on hand to start.  When I get halfway through I order another years supply.  Even if a lot of it is back ordered I still get it in time.

I shoot 15,000+ major and minor Open loads in the course of a year.  I reload for them.  I count it a blessing (and a cost saving) that I can shoot good, inexpensive factory 9mm ammo in my PCC for SCSA.  That's 5,000 rounds I don't have to reload.

The OP wants to practice with less expansive ammo than the HST they carry.  Blazer 147 @ 985 is perfect at $7.35/50 shipped, as long as you stocked up.  It's the stocking up that is important.  Right now I could shoot for 16 months with what I have on hand at the moment.  When the hoarding stops, prices will plummet, just like they did the last time.  When they do, I'll stock up again.

Yep in this game keeping well stocked is the key. I have at least 6 years worth of powder and primers and working on building up bullet stock. Currently only have 15,000 on hand. At least in the past bullets are the last thing that becomes hard to get. Primers are always first.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Blazer 147 @ 985 is perfect at $7.35/50 shipped,

I'd like to know where you're getting these at this price. I want to buy a couple cases. Because I have not seen prices this low in many years. Even when there wasn't a buying frenzy or a scare.

I was able to get federal black box 115s for 12.5 CPR this past black Friday. I would always stock up in the winter on the manufacturer rebates but there haven't been many this year.

Although I just got into reloading, I have a ton of factory ammo. I'll give it another month or 2 and hope things stabilize otherwise I'll shoot steel challenge with my 20k 22s for a while.

3 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

I'd like to know where you're getting these at this price. I want to buy a couple cases. Because I have not seen prices this low in many years. Even when there wasn't a buying frenzy or a scare.

I subscribed to Targetsports USA.  For A reasonable fee (about $95/yr if I remember correctly), you get 8% off everything plus free shipping on everything, even in less than case amounts.  Since I shoot up gobs of 22LR ammo for RFPO, RFRO and practice, plus lots of 9mm factory, it pays for me.  I've ordered ammo from them in just the past week.  If they are out of stock, click on notify by email when it is back in stock.  When you get the notice, IMMEDIATELY log on and buy what you want.  If you wait a day it will be all gone.  For about 50 cents more a box you can get Speer Lawman ammo.  I shoots just as well, except some of it is a little hotter.

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

Yep in this game keeping well stocked is the key. I have at least 6 years worth of powder and primers and working on building up bullet stock. Currently only have 15,000 on hand. At least in the past bullets are the last thing that becomes hard to get. Primers are always first.

If I had the space I'd do the same.  Powder I can get away with, because I can store in several rooms to avoid building a magazine.  Primers are no problem.  I still have 20,000 SPP and 10,000 LPP left even after spending the last month reloading out of boredom.  Bullets are a problem, because they weigh so much and take up so much room.  I once ordered 10,000 Dardas 200gr LSWC for bullseye.  Geez, did they take up a lot of room.  9mm is easier.  The 5,000 115s, 2100 124s and 3000 147s I have left store in less than half the space.