Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sear getting stuck in SVI ergo grip

Rnlinebacker

Hi all, I have a very interesting conundrum going on:

Gun is a 6 inch 2011 in 40 that was backup for a buddy that he built. Works great ran with plastic grip when i purchased then switched to STI aluminum grip. Gun has EGW ignition kit in it and everything has ran superbly in the STI alum grip as well. Recently, I purchased a non-SV frame SS grip from Enos and things ran fine for about 500 rounds BUT now the sear is constantly getting stuck in the grip to where the hammer won't engage it and hammer follow ensues. I've bent the sear spring, and fitted the SVI trigger bar a little more but the issue persists. I took off the grip safety and took some material off as it was really tight (blended nicely but way too hard to put into grip). This did not solve the issue either. When i hold the trigger back and rack the slide with the gun pointing down I can get the sear to get caught within 5-10 racks of the slide. However, when I switch back to the STI Aluminum grip everything runs completely fine!! 😧

I've taken the grip safety off and tried a different one and same issued happened. I have to use a tool to push sear from the bottom and it clicks back into place but when I test for hammer follow it gets stuck again immediately. I know the sear sits in the frame but I've seemingly ruled out the ignition kit as it runs fun in the other grip. Any thoughts?

22 hours ago, pjb45 said:

Why does the title say SVI ergo grip when the text says non-SV?

What is the brand of the receiver?

SV makes 2 versions of their grips, one for the frames they make 'SV' and a 'non-SV' for all the other brands.

for example see Speed Shooter's Int'l site:

https://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=SVGPST&n=SV-Signature-Micro-Pocket-Grip-w-Magwell-in-S/S

and of course if you go to the Infinity site the option at the bottom 'Frame Type' tab you can choose either SV or non SV.

https://infinity.americommerce.com/infinity-billet-metal-grip-machined-textured-micro-pockets.aspx

Regular sear springs tend to sit low in SV grips and mixed with the right frame or sear problems like this occur. 

With the grip safety out, visually inspect how low the sear spring leg touches the sear. That's probably what you need to fix. 
[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848] I actually bought the infinity sear spring thinking this. thank you

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk