Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New MPX lubrication

I recently picked up a new MPX pcc and have a question about lubrication. 

I've read a lot on here about running the bolt wet to ensure proper cycling, but I was wondering if anyone was running grease on the bolt and rails, or should I stick with oil such as slip 2000?  

Just looking for advice for what has worked with others. 

I think just about anything will work if you keep the bolt wet, but I’d lean more towards something closer to oil than grease, because for a piston system the chamber/bolt gets pretty dirty quick in the MPX, and you don’t want it to turn into a sluggish slime once there’s a bunch of carbon introduced...

I tend to run Mil-Comm TW-25B grease in Glocks and on larger moving parts like AR charging handles and such because it stays put, but I prefer to use FP-10 like I do on tighter fitted guns and parts with the MPX’s internals because it just seems to be slicker (plus FP-10 doesn’t smell bad if you get it all over lol). YMMV

14 hours ago, Vargr said:

I recently picked up a new MPX pcc and have a question about lubrication. 

I've read a lot on here about running the bolt wet to ensure proper cycling, but I was wondering if anyone was running grease on the bolt and rails, or should I stick with oil such as slip 2000?  

Just looking for advice for what has worked with others. 

Early on with my MPX, I was having occasional short strokes(with reloads, full power ammo never gave me any issues).  At the time, I was using a light film of oil, which is how I run most of my firearms.  I was at a steel match that happened to have a Sig rep at it and I asked him about it.  His response was to run it "dripping wet" and that he had similar observations with his personal MPX.  Went to a safe area, lubed it heavily and had no more issues.  Since then, I've tried running it with both slide glide and Lucas Oil Extreme.  Both will get me through a match, but the slide glide seems to gum up the bolt quicker and I think would result in failures prior to the oil as a result of that.

Edited by fbzero

Thanks for all the replies! 

It's a new "3rd" gen mpx PCC which people have reported not being very finicky so hopefully all will be well. 

I will definitely try to run it wet with fp10 or slip 2000 before I try the grease to see how it works out. 

Sig shipped my Gen 2 MPX with a sample of Lucas Extreme.  I use Lucas oils in my AR's so I've been using it in the MPX with good results.  In really cold weather (like when a Republican wins an election here in Corruptiunicornia and hell freezes over) I would use the regular 'red' Lucas gun oil.  If you want to buy the Lucas Extreme in bulk, pick up a pint of Lucas Semi-Synthethic 2 Stroke oil for about 6 bucks or a quart for $12 at the local auto parts or dirt bike shop, it looks, smells and tastes just like the Extreme.

Just kidding about the taste!   It tastes like lime jello.

On 11/12/2019 at 1:58 PM, Vargr said:

Thanks for all the replies! 

It's a new "3rd" gen mpx PCC which people have reported not being very finicky so hopefully all will be well. 

I will definitely try to run it wet with fp10 or slip 2000 before I try the grease to see how it works out. 

In my experience, the “3rd Gen” PCC version IS way less finicky, they didn’t change a lot*, but what changes they made seem to be an improvement... Still running the bolt wet tho!

*Edit:

1 fairly “big” small change I noticed: the cam-pin on the new ones now is “normal” (at least on mine) and you don’t have to line up dots to reinstall it a certain direction... NOT noted in the manual which shows a 2nd Gen (way to go Sig 🙄). So I’m guessing all the small changes maybe have made more of an impact than they seem...

As an aside, just in case you you don’t already know, run the gas valve and tappet DRY. ...You can use oil/CLP or whatever to help clean it for sure, but wipe those suckers down when you’re done cleaning; you don’t want any sludge happening down there 🙂

Happy MPX=bcg+wet, gas+dry

Edited by ck1
Edited about new parts changes