Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 magazine springs

Rpope423

I’m kinda new to the 2011 world so I’m on a learning curve with magazines, right now I have 3 STI gen 1 140mm mags with SNL pads, grams followers and springs.

heres my question:

the springs are 11 coil, everything I’m reading on shooters connection and grams website if your using a 140mm with extended basepads to use 13 coil? 

is possible there is a reason he was using 11 coil? 

also the followers are labeled s2,s2,STSV 

is there a difference?

14 minutes ago, Rpope423 said:

I’m kinda new to the 2011 world so I’m on a learning curve with magazines, right now I have 3 STI gen 1 140mm mags with SNL pads, grams followers and springs.

heres my question:

the springs are 11 coil, everything I’m reading on shooters connection and grams website if your using a 140mm with extended basepads to use 13 coil? 

is there a difference?

Your best bet is to give Beven a call tomorrow. (949) 548-3745 

Some people use a 13 coil spring in a 140 mag to solve some sort of feeding problem, usually trying to fix a bad mag tube in a cheap way. it usually does not work as a fix, but some think it does. An 11 coil spring is all that is necessary in a good 140 mag tube, with a base pad that extends the over all length of the mag to no longer then 145mm. A 13 coil spring will decrease round count, and put more friction/pressure to the under side of the slide, at least for feeding the first 2 rounds out of the mag.

The follower ID part #'s you listed are designed for your application, just different productions to cover the changes in mag tube design over the last 20 years.

Alright so I’m good to go then,  I had practiced some yesterday and at the end of practice I had a mag that kept puttin the gun to slide lock with 1 bullet left in magazine, ended up just shaving off the slide lock shelf on the followers since I don’t go to slide lock normally as a fix. 

On 11/11/2019 at 10:17 PM, Rpope423 said:

heres my question:

is there a difference?

Can you tell me where on the shooters connection site you found that info? The information from Grams on our site, as well as our personal experiences here, is that for 140mm magazines you use an 11 coil spring, and for 170mm you use a 13 coil spring. I would like to get that info corrected if it is wrong.

In the future, please feel free to give us a call if you have questions about a product we offer.

34 minutes ago, SSGJohnV said:

Can you tell me where on the shooters connection site you found that info? The information from Grams on our site, as well as our personal experiences here, is that for 140mm magazines you use an 11 coil spring, and for 170mm you use a 13 coil spring. I would like to get that info corrected if it is wrong.

In the future, please feel free to give us a call if you have questions about a product we offer.

Yep. First mag springs I bought from Shooters Connection I called and talked to Mike Foley. He said 11’s for 140 and 13’s for 170. I mean, I guess if you are running a huge mag extension on a140 a 13 could work but it would have to be 1.5” long extension

Edited by Sarge

47 minutes ago, SSGJohnV said:

When you go to the product grams spring and follower kit it’s in the description 

4 hours ago, Rpope423 said:

When you go to the product grams spring and follower kit it’s in the description 

Yeah something is off. I run 11’s in my 140’s with 7mm basepads. I still wouldn’t run a 13 even with an 11mm pad

4 hours ago, Rpope423 said:

Ah, I see where the confusion is coming from

" Use the 11 coil for 140mm or less mags with flat base pads in both 38 and 40. Use the 13 coil for 140mm mags with extended base pads(7, 8, or 11mm) or 170mm mags. "

I've bolded the applicable language.

Maybe I'm stupid but I don't understand. The question is not stupid or illegitimate I just don't understand what generates it. Since Limited is limited to a 141.25mm mag and open typically uses a 171.25mm mag why is there a question relating to mags somewhere in between.

The questioner is certainly allowed to do anything he wants I just don't know why he wants a mag obviously too long for Limited and obviously not competitive for Open. Not arguing just wondering.