Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI plastic to Cheely e2 steel grip transition experiences

vgdvc

Hello open shooters. Thinking of swapping my STI  DVC grip with wedge mainspring housing on my open pistol for a Cheely e2 aggressive steel. For those that have done a similar swap how does the pointability, indexing differ between the two? I'm sure the grip angle is different but is it dramatic like a 1911 vs Glock or does it mimic a CZ/Tanfoglio feel? Thanks

1 hour ago, vgdvc said:

Hello open shooters. Thinking of swapping my STI  DVC grip with wedge mainspring housing on my open pistol for a Cheely e2 aggressive steel. For those that have done a similar swap how does the pointability, indexing differ between the two? I'm sure the grip angle is different but is it dramatic like a 1911 vs Glock or does it mimic a CZ/Tanfoglio feel? Thanks

Go for the extra aggressive cheely grip

12 hours ago, Sarge said:

Even the standard E2 grip is plenty grippy.

Ditto.  It took me no time to adjust, just because the e2 feels natural and points better.  I would never go back to poly grips.

Thanks for the input guys. What was the fitting procedure to your frames? My frame has a "CM"prefix serial number. I thought it was just to designate that it is a wide frame model (.910"). There seems to be some controversy that is not the case or necessarily an indication of how old the frame is and different generation of frames may require different types of fitting procedures.

CM prefixes are older guns with more meat on the frame where the grip sits.  The Cheely e2 grip I put on my new build would NOT fit onto an STI CM serial number frame without removing metal.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

CM prefixes are older guns with more meat on the frame where the grip sits.  The Cheely e2 grip I put on my new build would NOT fit onto an STI CM serial number frame without removing metal.

Thanks. If you don't mind, does it seem to require removing enough material where if you went to put it on a newer frame after fitting there would be too much slop?

1 minute ago, vgdvc said:

Thanks. If you don't mind, does it seem to require removing enough material where if you went to put it on a newer frame after fitting there would be too much slop?

The material would be removed from the frame.  There might be some material removed from parts of the grip for final fitting.  If you tried to take it all out of the grip it definitely would be sloppy on a newer frame, assuming there was enough material in the grip to even allow that.

The e2 grip fits newer STI frames, like the DVC.  It also fits without any modification on the JEM Guns frame for poly grips, and of course Cheely frames.

28 minutes ago, zzt said:

The material would be removed from the frame.  There might be some material removed from parts of the grip for final fitting.  If you tried to take it all out of the grip it definitely would be sloppy on a newer frame, assuming there was enough material in the grip to even allow that.

The e2 grip fits newer STI frames, like the DVC.  It also fits without any modification on the JEM Guns frame for poly grips, and of course Cheely frames.

Thanks. I wouldn't mind altering the grip but not keen on altering the frame. Could be a decision changer for me. I'll have to look into similar options like the PT EVO to see if they fit CM frames better.

No difference in point ability.

New Cheely aggressive is same as PT Evo aggressive. Cheely comes double undercut. Only thing you will notice is your grip needs to be good.  Not as easy to fix on the way out as plastic.  Also, the felt recoil will be a little difference because it’s metal vs plastic. The heaviness feel will go away after awhile.

I went from a standard STI plastic grip with custom stipling to the E2.  It fit the STI frame with no modifications (trubor).  It was a very easy transition, and the added weight calmed the gun down a lot.  Very happy with the change.  There was no difference in how it pointed for me.