Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide racker help

konkapot

Slide racker is nominally held in by a screw. 

As of late the screw does not stay tight after shooting 100 rounds or so. 

Was thinking about rubber cement to temporarily hold the screw tight but still be able to remove the racker for cleaning. 

Any thoughts?

I remove the slide racker weeky for cleaning; would purple or green be appropriate for that?

Really looking for a solution that does not require me to send the gun off. This transition to Open has been hard enough. 

Edited by konkapot

If you do any fishing, insert a small piece of lightweight monofilament fishing line into the hole vertically, with the tail of the line hanging out of the hole and thread the screw into the hole, trapping the fishing line.  Instant thread lock, no messy residue to clean up when you remove the screw.  Insert a new piece of line when you replace the screw.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

14 hours ago, Nolan said:

If you do any fishing, insert a small piece of lightweight monofilament fishing line into the hole vertically, with the tail of the line hanging out of the hole and thread the screw into the hole, trapping the fishing line.  Instant thread lock, no messy residue to clean up when you remove the screw.  Insert a new piece of line when you replace the screw.

Nolan

That or Teflon tape 

I use blue Loctite on the screw and a small strip of tape in the dove tail. Have found that after removing/installing for cleaning, the fit between the racker and dovetail loosen a bit, the tape tightens it up. I now only install the racker for competition.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Determine where the screw hits the bottom of the dovetail and put a shallow divot there.  I'd also modify the screw to fit in that divot.

2) The dovetail may enlarge over time (at least two of mine have).  I put a small shim with a hole for the aforementioned divot under the dovetail on mine.

Then blue locktite.

YMMV

Edited by dons