Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
xpierrat

Pistol to rifle

Is it legal to change a PCC pistol to a rifle by adding a fixed stock and a longer barrel?

Not a lawyer, but my understanding is: If it was marked as a pistol on the ATF Form 4473, you can convert to rifle (stock & 16 inch barrel) and back to pistol (original configuration)

If it starts life as a rifle (on the 4473) it must stay as a rifle unless you register with NFA / tax stamp

DT's understanding is correct.  Several years ago I bought a T/C Encore Pro Hunter in rifle form (28" barrel, rifle stock).  My LGS registered it on Form 4473 as a handgun telling me I could then legally convert it to a "pistol" (<16" barrel, pistol grip) and back to a rifle at will.  Since the Encore takes a wide range of replacement barrels and stocks this was a good recommendation. 

7 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

DT's understanding is correct.  Several years ago I bought a T/C Encore Pro Hunter in rifle form (28" barrel, rifle stock).  My LGS registered it on Form 4473 as a handgun telling me I could then legally convert it to a "pistol" (<16" barrel, pistol grip) and back to a rifle at will.  Since the Encore takes a wide range of replacement barrels and stocks this was a good recommendation. 

The forms your LGS received your Encore on would have said it was a rifle so it's a rifle, it left the factory as a rifle and left the distributor as a rifle.

7 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

Since your Encore Pro Hunter started as a RIFLE, your LGS did not have the option to list it as a pistol.  Simply calling a Ford a Chevy doesn't change how it was manufactured.  

As I understand it, because your Encore was manufactured as a rifle, it had to have been transferred to your LGS as a rifle as well.  That rifle cannot ever be a pistol legally!  

If the Encore did not come with a rifle stock, perhaps it would have been listed as a receiver on the transfer documentation and on the 4473. 

That would have allowed it to be used as a rifle or a pistol, depending upon configuration.  

However, if it was shipped with a rifle stock, whoever listed it as a pistol was incorrect.  

You guys may be correct but the dealer told me they did fill out the 4473 form listing it as a handgun even though it came in rifle form.  This is a big, well established and respected dealership and I assumed they knew the legalities.   That said, I just checked the 4473 form (I keep everything!) and there is no mention of a handgun, just a rifle, so who knows.  I no longer have it so the issue is moot.