Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb safety similar to SVI wide

Goodonpaper

The right side of my wide SV thumb safety broke off at the post during a practice session this spring, sucks, I like the size and shape. The left side was fine so I continued to run it . Well the left side broke off today...

Who makes a similar size and shape that isn’t a consumable part?

I had considered that when the right side broke  off, coincidentally (it seems now) I had dropped my empty gun setting up my practice props for the day and that could have caused it. 

I’ve heard of others breaking and at this point I’d rather replace it with one with a better track record. 

For as pricy as they are I’ve seen a fair amount of mention of them breaking, they sure do look pretty though. 
The Atlas came yesterday packed in rust preventative so I didn’t get it out.  The thumb pad looks to be 3/32” narrower than the SV but still wider than standard. 

I like the width and contour of the SVi extra wide, single sided (for right handed shooters) safety.  My strong side thumb naturally rests over it providing me a very comfortable, high grip that naturally forces the safety down.

For those that have the SVI extra wide and also wide safeties from other manufactures, any comments as to brands that have similar width and contour to the SVI one?

The Atlas has a steeper angle and gives more of a ‘thumbs up’ hold than the SV, and it’s not quite as wide. It was pretty meaty and took a fair amount of fitting and blending which isn’t a bad thing. 
It’s going to stay on my gun but if I had to do it again I’d probably try the Lone Star or EGW. Or roll the dice on another SV.

• 3 weeks later...

That’s the info I was looking for! Thanks!

Unfortunately both the PT and LSI were sold out at Speed Shooters. The Atlas is fine and I’m going to run with it but if I find the need for another one I’ll probably try the Lone Star.

That’s the info I was looking for! Thanks!

Unfortunately both the PT and LSI were sold out at Speed Shooters. The Atlas is fine and I’m going to run with it but if I find the need for another one I’ll probably try the Lone Star.