Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why don’t classifications go down?

StealthyBlagga

1 hour ago, B_RAD said:

Yeah. I forgot about those. 

99% of the people proposing no classifications seem to be middle of the pack B class or can’t make it to 95% M’s. 

Hey dang it I'm one of those middle of the pack b-class shooters, well I did squeak out A in one division haha. It just seems like a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth with people worried about classification, production division, and limited minor. Don't people have better things to fret about? It's all pretty comical really, and I can't say that I've been completely immune to it in the past either, but somewhere along  the way I have ran out of f**** to give on these issues 🙂

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I continue to maintain my view that current classification system is successful in hitting the targets for which it was designed.  Maybe it has its flaws, but i think it serves the purpose of giving members a set of measurable and achievable goals as well as a standardized and controlled system of tracking them.  And that's enough for it to exist.  How one chooses to use it is up to them - sandbag, badge of honor, whatever.  But that's just my opinion. 

I remember a squad conversation at a fairly recent major match where an un-named AD was ragging on "paper GMs".  At the time, I didnt  (still dont) know all the ADs, didnt have the "due respect" and so I did not hesitate to point out that i havent heard a single M or GM guy use the term and that i seem to only hear B class and below using it.  I was A class at the time and the other two A guys on the squad smiled and nodded their heads - they knew how much work it takes to get to a point where you can string together six 85% classifiers, forget about 95%+... 

... i later learned that he was B class, of course.

Edited by nasty618

23 minutes ago, RJH said:

Hey dang it I'm one of those middle of the pack b-class shooters, well I did squeak out A in one division haha. It just seems like a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth with people worried about classification, production division, and limited minor. Don't people have better things to fret about? It's all pretty comical really, and I can't say that I've been completely immune to it in the past either, but somewhere along  the way I have ran out of f**** to give on these issues 🙂

Wasn’t trying to diss you. More about the people that are constantly crying about the classification system. Which, you do not seem to be doing. 

20 minutes ago, nasty618 said:

I continue to maintain my view that current classification system is successful in hitting the targets for which it was designed.  Maybe it has its flaws, but i think it serves the purpose of giving members a set of measurable and achievable goals as well as a standardized and controlled system of tracking them.  And that's enough for it to exist.  How one chooses to use it is up to them - sandbag, badge of honor, whatever.  But that's just my opinion. 

I remember a squad conversation at a fairly recent major match where an un-named AD was ragging on "paper GMs".  At the time, I didnt  (still dont) know all the ADs, didnt have the "due respect" and so I did not hesitate to point out that i havent heard a single M or GM guy use the term and that i seem to only hear B class and below using it.  I was A class at the time and the other two A guys on the squad smiled and nodded their heads - they knew how much work it takes to get to a point where you can string together six 85% classifiers, forget about 95%+... 

... i later learned that he was B class, of course.

Yes. I love to listen to B class shooters talk about paper GM’s. It’s funny. 

3 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Wasn’t trying to diss you. More about the people that are constantly crying about the classification system. Which, you do not seem to be doing. 

I didn't take it that way at all that is why I put the "haha" in 👍

I actually think we are probably in complete agreement 

1 minute ago, RJH said:

I didn't take it that way at all that is why I put the "haha" in 👍

I actually think we are probably in complete agreement 

Yes. I think we are.

I keep telling myself I’m not gonna get involved in the next “let’s change this because I don’t like it” thread but I get sucked back in. 

20 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

Just for the record, I believe the whole classification systems is a silly "everyone gets a trophy" waste of time and energy. I'd rather it just go away, but I do recognize the revenue stream motivator for USPSA to keep it as it is.

I agree it should be like 3G. You finish where you finish.  No trophies for 7th place non-binary Limited A.  You win or you don't.  Then try to get better. 

2 hours ago, echotango said:

I agree it should be like 3G. You finish where you finish.  No trophies for 7th place non-binary Limited A.  You win or you don't.  Then try to get better. 

It *is* like that if you just ignore the class trophies. As long as it's just trophies (and not prize table positioning), the class awards need not have any effect on you whatsoever.

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

It *is* like that if you just ignore the class trophies. As long as it's just trophies (and not prize table positioning), the class awards need not have any effect on you whatsoever.

True. I do agree with the prize table going in order of finish, regardless of your classification. If you came in 15th overall, your 15th in line to walk the table. 

Edited by echotango

1 hour ago, echotango said:

True. I do agree with the prize table going in order of finish, regardless of your classification. If you came in 15th overall, your 15th in line to walk the table. 

i'm perfectly OK with random draws too. whatever the MD and the sponsors prefer. I go to enough matches that I seem to win stuff either way.

6 hours ago, motosapiens said:

At the exact time I posted my question, I was sat at the back of a room of about 400 shooters all pretending to care who won 2nd C class in Production or some nonsense. The award ceremonies at the end of a major match waste a LOT of everyone’s time. The cost of trophies isn’t trivial either. I’d rather MDs skip the trophies and put the $$$ on the prize table. If we must have a classification system, just do it for bragging rights only and let’s save everyone’s time and money. 

Edited by StealthyBlagga

12 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

... The award ceremonies at the end of a major match waste a LOT of everyone’s time. ...

The awards of the latest Match I went to took quite long enough - without class trophies. 7 divisions, Senior category for most, Super-Senior, Junior, and Lady categories for some. Also Team awards in many categories. I got a medal for a Senior category that didnt have all-that-many participants.

13 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

The award ceremonies at the end of a major match waste a LOT of everyone’s time.

Man, I'm so up in the air on this one.

On one hand, I agree, particularly when the award ceremonies are done badly.  Incredibly boring, and take SO LONG.

On the other hand, shooting my last stage and then wandering off and leaving immedaitely seems like...like something is missing.  I want closure, dang it!  😕

53 minutes ago, Thomas H said:

Man, I'm so up in the air on this one.

On one hand, I agree, particularly when the award ceremonies are done badly.  Incredibly boring, and take SO LONG.

On the other hand, shooting my last stage and then wandering off and leaving immedaitely seems like...like something is missing.  I want closure, dang it!  😕

I wanted that Top D shooter at my first major!

Your USPSA classification is mostly important for impressing non shooting friends or arguing on the internet. Those of us in USPSA know that your classification is like making sausage, with all sorts of weird results based on luck, skill and your personal ethics, but match performance is what really matters. As an aside, personally I love a paper GM, because they can be a match saver — as in, “I really had a bad match, but I beat a GM.” 

For better or worse, the USPSA and Steel Challenge classification systems reward peak performance rather than consistency. Match placement favors consistency. I do think that your PCC classification should not move your pistol division classifications. 

On 11/13/2019 at 9:14 AM, MikeyScuba said:

As a lowly b class shooter I quite like it when I beat A class shooters at a match.

Honestly, that's one thing about the classification that gives the most satisfaction for me -- beating higher-classified shooters in matches.

Even better is beating someone who has a gun that costs several times more than mine does (sometimes the case when I'm shooting the Glock in Limited).

10 minutes ago, GunBugBit said:

Honestly, that's one thing about the classification that gives the most satisfaction for me -- beating higher-classified shooters in matches.

Even better is beating someone who has a gun that costs several times more than mine does (sometimes the case when I'm shooting the Glock in Limited).

When I read or hear stuff like that it is almost always is coming from a B/C class shooter.  I seriously doubt Coley or Vogel care about the type of guns other people shoot.  Don't hate on people who have more disposable income than you.  Be happy that you train harder and beat them regardless of the platform

7 minutes ago, Balakay said:

Don't hate on people who have more disposable income than you

I would say don't hate on people who think that buying a new expensive gun will move them up in class. There are way more of those.  Let them remain ignorant and keep putting in work - you do what needs to be done and the results will come.

12 minutes ago, Balakay said:

When I read or hear stuff like that it is almost always is coming from a B/C class shooter.  I seriously doubt Coley or Vogel care about the type of guns other people shoot.  Don't hate on people who have more disposable income than you.  Be happy that you train harder and beat them regardless of the platform

IDK,.... purely speculation here but I’d bet they (Vogel/Coley) get a little extra bit of satisfaction when they beat all the guys shooting $4k 2011’s. Especially they guys that are at their level. In fact, Nils posted on his IG about him coming in 2nd at prod Nats with his $500 Canik.

I know I enjoy doing well with a Glock. I imagine others do too. 

Edited by B_RAD

1 minute ago, Balakay said:

How do you translate my comment about one of my inexpensive guns (the one I've competed with the least) into an assumption that I have relatively little disposable income?  I do derive my enjoyment that my performance, when a match turns out especially well for me, is because I dry fire a good bit more than most of my competitors.  But if you want to talk about what guns we can afford, I'll pay that game.

1 minute ago, B_RAD said:

IDK,.... purely speculation here but I’d bet they (Vogel/Coley) get a little extra bit of satisfaction when they beat all the guys shooting $4k 2011’s. Especially they guys that are at their level. In fact, Nike posted on his IG about him coming in 2nd at prod Nats with his $500 Canik.

I know I enjoy doing well with a Glock. 

This line of thinking is just pointless.  My Rafferty custom costs less than this guy's SVI, and I beat him by 2%.  what a sucker....It's just dumb.

2 minutes ago, GunBugBit said:

How do you translate my comment about one of my inexpensive guns (the one I've competed with the least) into an assumption that I have relatively little disposable income?  I do derive my enjoyment that my performance, when a match turns out especially well for me, is because I dry fire a good bit more than most of my competitors.  But if you want to talk about what guns we can afford, I'll pay that game.

I can't but clearly you have chosen to compete with a less expensive gun.  Your choice. No one cares.