Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally having working ammo again

RJH

After 60,000 or so pretty much perfect rounds, i have been fighting ammo issues for the last few months.  From self inflicted issues to faulty components, it has been aggravating to say the least.  But I finally felt like i had all the issues worked out and shot a match yesterday and once again was back %100.  Happy days is a gun and ammo that works

Glad you didn't put this into the "What I Hate" Forum - then the Mods would

shut it down as soon as anyone chimed in    :(

Yeah, nothing worse than fighting your own equipment.

Bad enough we shoot poorly on occasion, without having FTF's.

What were the issues you had ?

First, my press got out of adjustment and wasn't reliably resetting the powder measure so occasionally i would get just  a small amount of powder, just enough to stick a bullet half way down the barrel.  Luckily it never got too exciting

Got that worked out and then after breaking a couple of shell plate bolts on my press i decided i was seating primers too hard which led to, you guessed it high primers. Which made the next thing even harder to figure out

Got aggravated and went back to my old press (LCT) and everything was looking good, until i figured out i had faulty primers.  About a %10 failure rate.  Was really doubting myself about this time, but finally primed 40 pieces of brass with the primers i thought were bad and sure enough was not lighting them off %100.  So, i took the same 40 pieces of brass and primed them with some other primers and all my problems were solved.  The crappy primers were Remingtons, and their CS sucks by the way.  Replaced with CCIs, and the world was right once more

Hopefully I can go another 60,000 without issue