Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Filler Problem

I just picked up a dillon primer filler as part of a large used reloading equipment purchase.  It seems to be unused, or very close to that.  I have it set up on a sturdy bench, and it is level.  I am running into an issue that I haven't seen anyone really talking about, so hopefully someone can help me out.  On the second cutout that is designed to make upside down primers fall back into the middle of the machine, I am getting most of the primers that are correct falling down as well, I'm talking 80-90% of them.  I have even moved the machine around so it is leaning in every possible direction, and it is still happening.  I am using Winchester small pistol primers, but it is happening with CCI as well.  Does anyone have recommendations for how to solve this?  Thanks much in advance!

Take the cover off and adjust that small plexiglass piece over the second cutout so there isn't as much of a gap.  Leave enough room for a primer, plus a small amount of free space. 
Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have the Reostat (speed) upgrade on it? Without it it was useless for me with it I loaded over 10K rounds at the moment without any flipped primers.

(S&B, Magtech or Ginex)

Or well, I had 1 flipped primer but I'm not sure if that was caused by the RF100.

I don't have that problem you describe. Pics would help, show us a close -up of that portion of the plate under the plastic tab and just before it.  I have a hard time imagining why 80% of the proper orientation primers would fall down. Was it perhaps dremeled by the prior owner for some reason?

I have intermittent troubles with mine, but I live in Scottsdale and have taken the machine in twice in 6 years for free service. They never tell me what they do, other than to clean and 'adjust it'.   Usually I get one inverted primer every 34k rounds now. I have to clean the yellow dust off the plate every 4-6 months...I have had that plastic cover tab lift up and permit primers to jam, stopping all the action. My solution was to tape it down or wedge a soft earplug fragment over it so the clear cover plate holds the plastic cover tab down flat. The tolerance for primers is pretty narrow I guess. 

C