Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different trigger weights

AWZ1387

Do any of you guys find it difficult to switch between a light competition trigger and a normal defensive trigger? 

How often do guys train with your competition guns vs your carry guns? 

Having just got into compitition shooting, I have been concentrating on practicing and dry firing with my 34. My 34 has a tti spring kit and connector, the pull is pretty light compared to my 17 and 26. It is also more of a rolling brake. 

Today I decided to dry fire with my carry guns, and the trigger seemed so heavy compared to my 34. I felt like I had to really concentrate on not moving the front sight on the trigger pull. After a little bit of dry firing the trigger felt fine again.

I don't do much competition these days but my game Glock and carry Glock both have Overwatch Precision flat triggers. The only difference is the gamer Glock has a - connector. I like a wall and not a rolling break. In dry fire I shoot the two guns +/- the same speed with a slight edge to the gamer. I never aspire to greatness in games. I am more serious about defensive shooting and so the games are just fun and training.  A super light trigger does not matter to me because it might interfere with defensive shooting.

I also shoot 1911's (4 - 4 1/2# triggers) and have pretty much learned to transition between a Glock and a 1911 without difficulty. You would never confuse throwing a football with throwing a basketball. You pick up the 1911 and you immediately know its not a Glock and treat it differently.

It takes me a magazine or so to make the transition from light competition trigger to defensive trigger (stock pull).  Once my brain is in "defensive mode", I'm fine.  I also have to be patient for a magazine or two when I change back to "competition mode".  I'll spend a little extra dry fire time when I go back to "competition mode" to shorten that transition time.

I go back and forth quite a bit. Generally do not have issues. Light triggers can/will allow me to be lazy because they are definitely more forgiving.  If you find you’re having issues going back up to 4/5/6lbs ask yourself if you’ve gotten sloppy with the 2/3 pounder??  

3 hours ago, Polaris13 said:

It takes me a magazine or so to make the transition from light competition trigger to defensive trigger (stock pull).  Once my brain is in "defensive mode", I'm fine.  I also have to be patient for a magazine or two when I change back to "competition mode".  I'll spend a little extra dry fire time when I go back to "competition mode" to shorten that transition time.

This is what happened to me, after a little bit of dry fire I got used to the other trigger again. 

But I got to thinking in a defensive situation I won't be able to get used to the difference. 

3 hours ago, lgh said:

I don't do much competition these days but my game Glock and carry Glock both have Overwatch Precision flat triggers. The only difference is the gamer Glock has a - connector. I like a wall and not a rolling break. In dry fire I shoot the two guns +/- the same speed with a slight edge to the gamer. I never aspire to greatness in games. I am more serious about defensive shooting and so the games are just fun and training.  A super light trigger does not matter to me because it might interfere with defensive shooting.

I also shoot 1911's (4 - 4 1/2# triggers) and have pretty much learned to transition between a Glock and a 1911 without difficulty. You would never confuse throwing a football with throwing a basketball. You pick up the 1911 and you immediately know its not a Glock and treat it differently.

I see what you are saying, thanks for reply.

Before I got my 34 I really didn't do much dry firing, I am going to start adding in some dry fire with my carry guns. To help with transitioning between the two. 

1 hour ago, hrhawk said:

I go back and forth quite a bit. Generally do not have issues. Light triggers can/will allow me to be lazy because they are definitely more forgiving.  If you find you’re having issues going back up to 4/5/6lbs ask yourself if you’ve gotten sloppy with the 2/3 pounder??  

This maybe the case. I have to try to get some range time in with my carry guns, to see how my accuracy is doing.

I'm wondering if I should actually be practicing more with the heavier triggers. Because if I have perfect trigger control with the heavier triggers, the lighter shouldn't be a problem? 

Edited by AWZ1387