Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 uncaptured guide rod in CZ P09

Bench

I don't remember were I read about this G17 guide rod mod for the P09 but taking off just a little bit of the "button" diameter allows the slide to more easily assemble onto the frame. Prior to reducing the diameter when assembling the slide onto the frame the guide rod would catch onto a frame component(?) and not allow the slide to continue rearward for complete assembly. A little 'fiddling' would align things up and the slide would go on and range work continued just fine, but shouldn't need to fiddle to get the slide on😡. Now with the G17 guide rod button diameter reduced a few .001's the assembled slide goes on a lot easier and considering going a bit farther on reducing the diameter. It's within .002 of the not very pristine factory plastic guide rod😉.

Has anyone done this guide rod modification with success? What diameter did you pull the button down to?

Edited by Bench

1 hour ago, Joedirt199 said:

I did the same with my p07s and glock 19/23 rods. Just chuck the button in a drill and sand the outside till it clears the hole in the slide.

Thanks, my mod seems to be working just fine, glad to hear others have been successful.

2 hours ago, MarilynMonbro said:

Where are you guys getting the guide rod from?  I'd like to try this with my P09 and P07s

Patriot Machine Tools on ebay...$10 or CGW $25. The G17 guide rod doesn't quite come out to the front of the slide but it still runs as needed. I would imagine that the CGW rod probably would.

What is the weight of a tungsten guide rod for the P09?  I have the CGW stainless part.  I've experimented with rail mount  muzzle weights I've made from copper bar up to 4 oz and like the feel.  Might be different when the comp goes on but a rod in the same range is a lot cleaner.

5 hours ago, GMP said:

What is the weight of a tungsten guide rod for the P09?  I have the CGW stainless part.  I've experimented with rail mount  muzzle weights I've made from copper bar up to 4 oz and like the feel.  Might be different when the comp goes on but a rod in the same range is a lot cleaner.

I don't have info on that so do a search on the sites that offer tungsten rods. From what I've seen, they aren't cheap...and I am🤣.

On 11/12/2019 at 2:14 PM, GMP said:

304 stainless steel has a density of  8 g/cc.  90% tungsten alloys are 17 g/cc.  Higher than 90% is too brittle.  So a tungsten rod of the same dimensions would be would be 2.125 times heavier than stainless.