Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Grip Enhancer

TonyMartin

I did a quick search for this topic and had no luck finding anything, but I'm sure it is buried in here somewhere....?

Anyways, I'm wondering what everybody's favorite grip enhancer is? I am currently trying Liquid Grip, but I also know there is Pro Grip and the DAA Gripz products. Is there anything else out there that is worth trying?

With the Liquid Grip, I feel like I have to apply it almost every stage. Is this normal for everybody else? I'm using the amount that the bottle recommends, but maybe I'm not using enough? For instance, Ben Stoeger recently posted a picture from USPSA LoCap Nationals of his Production Champion trophy and his pistol, where there is visibly a lot of grip enhancement residue on his gun. After a full day of shooting, mine does not look like that. For that reason alone it would lead me to believe that I am possibly not using enough, even though when applied my hands noticeably stick to the gun better.

Please let me know what your thoughts or suggestions are. Thank you!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can only compare apples to apples Liquid grip and pro grip are not the same and may not leave the same residue on the gun. I’ve tried a lot of them, and they’re all pretty much the same or very similar to me that I don’t have a preference. I’ve also tried the Eric Grauffel clear gel-like grip product, but it tends to really dry out my hands especially in the Spring. I’ve also tried the dry powder rosin grip which I believe is more of a Tennis type product, that works well too, but leaves things a little sticky as opposed to the chalk products. Currently I am using mostly pro grip but that’s because it seems to be easy to find from multiple places and I will typically tack on a bottle or two when I order stuff and things from different places online to save on shipping. The bad part is that occasionally I will have a bottle get to me that is all dried out, especially if you buy it from a place that probably does not sell very much pro grip and it probably sits in their warehouse drying out before anyone orders it.

31 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

You can only compare apples to apples Liquid grip and pro grip are not the same and may not leave the same residue on the gun. I’ve tried a lot of them, and they’re all pretty much the same or very similar to me that I don’t have a preference. I’ve also tried the Eric Grauffel clear gel-like grip product, but it tends to really dry out my hands especially in the Spring. I’ve also tried the dry powder rosin grip which I believe is more of a Tennis type product, that works well too, but leaves things a little sticky as opposed to the chalk products. Currently I am using mostly pro grip but that’s because it seems to be easy to find from multiple places and I will typically tack on a bottle or two when I order stuff and things from different places online to save on shipping. The bad part is that occasionally I will have a bottle get to me that is all dried out, especially if you buy it from a place that probably does not sell very much pro grip and it probably sits in their warehouse drying out before anyone orders it.

Thank you for the great response! I wouldn't mind trying the Grauffel stuff. Any advice on the best place to buy that?

7 minutes ago, nikdanja said:

I used baby powder for YEARS. Cheap and you get a lot for what you pay for. Only problem was if would get everywhere. This past season I used liquid grip and that’s now my go 2. 

Are you saying the fact it gets everywhere isn't worth the inexpensiveness in quantity?

2 minutes ago, TonyMartin said:

Are you saying the fact it gets everywhere isn't worth the inexpensiveness in quantity?

Yes. Because when it comes time for cleaning, it turns into paste. Almost like you taking flour and getting it wet. It works great as a place holder, but I finally woke up and found a better solution to the problem. 

6 minutes ago, nikdanja said:

Yes. Because when it comes time for cleaning, it turns into paste. Almost like you taking flour and getting it wet. It works great as a place holder, but I finally woke up and found a better solution to the problem. 

Does it have a tendency to get into the internal workings of the gun, being such a fine powder?

41 minutes ago, TonyMartin said:

Does it have a tendency to get into the internal workings of the gun, being such a fine powder?

I haven’t had an issue with that. My holster was pretty dusty but it doesn’t get cleaned 

20 minutes ago, nikdanja said:

Congrats!

Thanks. I'm always looking for more opportunities to improve though. So, I think I'm going to probably go ahead and get some baby powder and try it anyways. If it makes too much of a mess and drives me crazy, then at least I can say I've tried 😂

I've used Pro Grip.  Unless my palms are very sweaty from the heat (we shoot matches here when it's 115 degrees), I only put it on my support hand fingertips and/or the backs of my shooting fingers where the support fingers  touch.  That helps to lock in my grip while minimizing how much of the stuff gets on my gun.

I use Liquid Grip for the gym but prefer Pro Grip for shooting. I don’t feel like I need it so much on the hand/gun interface (my guns are all stippled) but the strong hand/support hand interface I really appreciate the extra friction. I see some build up on the frame but nothing like what can be see on Ben’s or Tyler Turner’s gun. To each his own. I apply a small drop maybe 2-3 times during an average match, not every stage unless it’s REALLY humid. If I go too heavy on the progrip I feel like it hinders nailing a perfect grip every time and the ability to shift the gun in my hand for reloads  

7 hours ago, Slide4949 said:

since I started using PT EVO grips I see no need for grip enhancer. They are very aggressive grips.

I was running a grip tape kit on an M&P, but will be switching to a CZ with the most aggressive grips LOK makes (Bogies). I know switching from poly to steel with a real grip will make a huge difference, but still looking to add more where I can.

7 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

I've used Pro Grip.  Unless my palms are very sweaty from the heat (we shoot matches here when it's 115 degrees), I only put it on my support hand fingertips and/or the backs of my shooting fingers where the support fingers  touch.  That helps to lock in my grip while minimizing how much of the stuff gets on my gun.

I am a bit ashamed of myself for never even thinking about putting any on the back of my hand or fingertips specifically! I'm most definitely going to try that tomorrow at the range. Thank you sir!

7 hours ago, Helios said:

I use Liquid Grip for the gym but prefer Pro Grip for shooting. I don’t feel like I need it so much on the hand/gun interface (my guns are all stippled) but the strong hand/support hand interface I really appreciate the extra friction. I see some build up on the frame but nothing like what can be see on Ben’s or Tyler Turner’s gun. To each his own. I apply a small drop maybe 2-3 times during an average match, not every stage unless it’s REALLY humid. If I go too heavy on the progrip I feel like it hinders nailing a perfect grip every time and the ability to shift the gun in my hand for reloads  

I'm definitely going to try the grip enhancer on the hand interface tomorrow. I had never even thought of that to be honest 😂

7 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

I like the DAA Gripz with the belt magnetic holder.  Turns out my wife uses it 10x more than I do.  Shoot revo so I don't have a super aggressive grip surface.

Have you tried others? Does the DAA work longer between applications? Is it grippier than others?

59 minutes ago, TonyMartin said:

Have you tried others? Does the DAA work longer between applications? Is it grippier than others?

I like it better than liquid chalk.  I had the gruffel stuff, the DAA is easier to get and the ability to stow it on the belt is a plus.  Seems to work equally well. they are probably all buying it from the same suppler, I mean how many companies make grip liquid?