Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
jwhittin

2011 frame atop a 1911 sized polymer grip

I don't know why no one offers a 1911 sized polymer grip for the 2011 frames.  I searched but haven't seen one.   Seems like a viable product.  Make a 2011 style polymer grip so it accepts single stack mags and voila!  I'm thinking it would be a lower cost way to build a 1911. 

Thoughts?

Edited by jwhittin

At one time STI had their polymer grips modified to use single stack magazines.  Single stack rules banned them, as I recall, so that market segment was closed.

Very likely the cost of a new mold to make dedicated single stack grips is more than the expect market demand justifies, particularly with the profusion of all metal single stack 1911's.

Now, with polymer frame single stack 1911's, I would expect the market demand is even smaller.

Machining them from metal, as we see with several double stack grips would be do-able, but, again, how much market with all the all metal single stacks already available?

While all this seem very negative, I would not be against it, but I simply don't  think anyone can do it and recover costs.

17 hours ago, jwhittin said:

I don't know why no one offers a 1911 sized polymer grip for the 2011 frames.  I searched but haven't seen one.   Seems like a viable product.  Make a 2011 style polymer grip so it accepts single stack mags and voila!  I'm thinking it would be a lower cost way to build a 1911. 

Thoughts?

Isn't that what the STI Staccato C is doing?

https://stiguns.com/product-lineup/staccato-c/

STI just announced the Staccato R single stack. 1911 with polymer grip.