Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

During unload and show clear.....

happygunner77

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

Coz some are concern about ammo detonation hence they just eject the round and discard. I guess Ben Stoeger's left hand would have blown up anytime now. 

I'm not sure you understand how that works.  I'll just leave it at that.

If I can manage to get my round I'll get it but when I was shooting factory ammo in PCC there was far too many other rounds laying around and the last thing I want to do is send someone's 9 major down the barrel that makes 200PF out 16" of barrel.

I'm gonna quote this guy's experience of live rounds on the ground 

Kinda different but the same. Two of us was doing setup for this years SNS match and we were moving some walls left from the PCC match a couple of weeks before.
I was swinging a pickax trying to get it under the wall stand to pry up the stake when I hit a live round that was hiding under the wall stand with the pickax. Round went off and bullet landed over by the other guy about 10 feet away. Threw a few rocks around but just scared the crap out of me and was LOUD.

I also know two revolver shooters that have had rounds go off when they dropped a partially loaded moonclip on gravel and they landed on the primer.

Not sure what any of this has to do with OP but rounds on the ground can be interesting.

On 11/6/2019 at 5:50 PM, elguapo said:

I'm not sure you understand how that works.  I'll just leave it at that.

Sure, why don't you expoud since you know how things work and enlighthen me. Or I'm not sure if you know what I'm talking about. And i'll leave it at that. 

Edited by happygunner77

On 11/5/2019 at 8:01 PM, happygunner77 said:

18-24 ammo wasted per month

so $2.50 worth of ammo? i spend more than that in gasoline to get there and back for just one match. to me it isn't a money thing at all but a chain of custody issue, as it were.

do the flip and catch. problem solved.

depending on the surface and the absolute certainty it is my round i will or will not pick up something off the ground.

55 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

so $2.50 worth of ammo? i spend more than that in gasoline to get there and back for just one match. to me it isn't a money thing at all but a chain of custody issue, as it were.

do the flip and catch. problem solved.

depending on the surface and the absolute certainty it is my round i will or will not pick up something off the ground.

I never said anything about money and it wasn't about money. But yeah, I keep my rounds. If I lose them, I lose them. But I have a system now that I get them 100% of the time. 

Edited by happygunner77

your very first post starting the thread mentions the amount of ammo wasted. this can be extrapolated into the money those rounds represent. as well as your time in making them. you don't have to say it explicitly, it is implied.

Edited by rowdyb

On 11/6/2019 at 8:50 AM, igofast85 said:

I used to grab the last round as I racked it out, but then I saw the results of a guy who had a round detonate out of battery when the ejector hit the primer while he was racking out a malfunction with his hand over the ejection port. Very unlikely situation, but a couple of rounds isn't worth the time lost from shredding you hand.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That is because his hand was covering the ejection port.  If one obstructs the function of the ejection process, the round can slip off the extractor and the primer can be impinged by the ejector.  Rearward movement of the slide in a forceful manor can cause a kaboom if cupping the ejection port.

Having said that, racking the slide and catching the round is virtually impossible to set off a round.  If it were, hunters all over the world would have done this.  Bolt guns, lever guns, pump guns, even full auto.  Clearing the chamber does not cause a kaboom.  Only guns this does not apply to are break actions and falling/rolling blocks.

By the way, I pick up every round I find.  Pull the bullets, reuse the primed case and use the bullets for practice.  I've pulled thousands of rounds.  That adds up to real money.

It, flip and catch, definitely shows you have more hand eye coordination hahaha.

But yeah, an 11c round of 9mm isn't worth picking up off the ground unless I am 100% certain it is my round. Even if it is mine I won't pick it up if it falls in mud or gets dinged up on rocks or something.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:52 PM, rowdyb said:

your very first post starting the thread mentions the amount of ammo wasted. this can be extrapolated into the money those rounds represent. as well as your time in making them. you don't have to say it explicitly, it is implied.

Not necessarily but no, not my intend to be about money. Just a full mag of ammo wasted instead of being used. For production shooter, that's 2 mags wasted. .

7 hours ago, HCH said:

I’m still trying to figure out why we’re debating whether or not someone picks up a round off the ground. 

Not intended for debate, just an inquiry to what other's reasons are for just wasting ammo. But some do like to debate as they think they're better than others. 

Edited by happygunner77

Almost everybody here picks up their dropped rounds immediately, so there aren't many on the ground. More likely, no other rounds. Rounds found later on go into the "rounds for disposal" bin.

I mainly shoot .45ACP and know well how distressed my brass looks....

On 11/5/2019 at 8:00 PM, happygunner77 said:

It's not the amount of money. It's the amount of rounds wasted. 

I wonder why people don't aim better at steel, lol. Most folks waste way more than 1 round per stage doing that.

at any rate, the vast majority of shooters I see flip and catch the last round and pocket it. When I work a major match I'd say it's less than 2 shooters per squad that let the last round fall.

Myself, I try not to be too wasteful in any of life's resources. You know, recycle, less plastic, reuse, share, give...

Like most people, I liked to hope others would feel the same way.  I liked to not to be concern with only myself, but the world, the people in it and its future as a whole.

Turning off unneeded lights to use less electricity is not a matter of just how much it cost, can I afford it or who is paying for it.  It is an old and unpopular attitude of waste not, want not.

Yes, a round it the ground is small thing, just like second off our time, and it will take a hundred years before some else has to pick them up to make the land useable but I like to do my part.  When I was a kid we use to pick up pennies and sweep dirt from our sidewalks. Bending down will not save the world but I feel it help me develop into a person who simply cares.

4 hours ago, Assault Manager said:

question:  How does it work that pulling the slide back slow can be dangerous?

Round falls off the extractor, falls through the grip frame case head first, primer lands on pointy rock, round detonates, frags to the nads of shooter or RO.  Worst case, primer lands on another round, both detonate and frags both shooter and RO in nads.

Not serious!

4 hours ago, Assault Manager said:

Myself, I try not to be too wasteful in any of life's resources. You know, recycle, less plastic, reuse, share, give...

Like most people, I liked to hope others would feel the same way.  I liked to not to be concern with only myself, but the world, the people in it and its future as a whole.

Turning off unneeded lights to use less electricity is not a matter of just how much it cost, can I afford it or who is paying for it.  It is an old and unpopular attitude of waste not, want not.

Yes, a round it the ground is small thing, just like second off our time, and it will take a hundred years before some else has to pick them up to make the land useable but I like to do my part.  When I was a kid we use to pick up pennies and sweep dirt from our sidewalks. Bending down will not save the world but I feel it help me develop into a person who simply cares.

Well, prob 99% of the population isn't going to make any effort to pick up a penny these days.  It's honestly not worth the effort.  Same for a dropped round.  As stated, a large percentage of experienced shooters do a flip and catch.  Also, rounds that hit the ground for whatever reason, at least at a decent size match, can be difficult to spot.  So, first off, it's not worth the physical effort to find it.  Second, I'd rather follow the RO and see my hits as they're being scored rather than hunting for a dropped round.  And third, I don't want to be in the way of the next shooter, who's probably rehearsing his/her run, while I hunt for it.

Edited by ltdmstr

I cast and powder coat my bullets. I bought the lead 30 years ago the brass was .01 each and I’m using powder I inherited so basically im only wasting the primer not that much of an investment to worry about for 5 to 6 rounds a match.

I had to learn to catch ejected rounds at the World Shoot in Ecuador.  Since the US ammo shipment never made it, I was scraping by with what I could cram into my luggage and borrow.  Those 36 rounds of my own ammo were important to finishing the match.

So, not always financial.