Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

During unload and show clear.....

happygunner77

Why is it that most people just drop that ammo on the ground and not pick it back up? If you do that for every local match, you just wasted 6 ammo. If going to local matches 3-4 times, that's 18-24 ammo wasted per month. That's a full mag of ammo thrown away. I see this all the time. Makes me cringe.

So my question is, why waste that much ammo?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually grab mine, they end up in the bottom of the bag, or on some counter at the house frequently to wait months or years to get lost, shot, or discarded. Some days/stages it's the least of my concerns, some days my back and/or legs say not worth it. I'd say the majority of shooters at my locals pick theirs up if easily found.

Couple of things. Like Beef says back and legs start talking to us older farts. Also, sometimes I just want to walk with the ro as he calls out scores so I can see how I did on certain targets, not be scratching around amongst a pile of brass trying to find one round that looks like several others lying there too. And if I can't loose 6 rounds, I'm in the wrong sport.

I usually grab mine, they end up in the bottom of the bag, or on some counter at the house frequently to wait months or years to get lost, shot, or discarded. Some days/stages it's the least of my concerns, some days my back and/or legs say not worth it. I'd say the majority of shooters at my locals pick theirs up if easily found.
Haha. I also pick my up. And I also end up finding them later in the oddest of places. In my sock drawer, the cup holder in my truck, bottom of the back, in the cart I take to matches. Even found one in the cooler once.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

Why is it that most people just drop that ammo on the ground and not pick it back up? ...

Most people? In  matches very rarely I have seen people drop the ammo on the ground, let alone not pick it up. People either do the flip and catch or drop it into their palm.

Edited by tanks

Thank you to all of you ammo dumpers.  I pick up every loaded round I find.  I pull the head and dump the powder.  I then load the case with my head and powder.  I just got a free case and primer and for that I thank you. 

I do have quite a collection of pulled bullets.  

8 hours ago, teros135 said:

If it's 9 minor and you load it yourself, that's about $3 a month.  Maybe some folks don't consider that too extravagant. 

Not many years ago, I was spending $12,000 / year on the shooting sports - $36 / year for the dropped

cartridges was a Very Minor part of it.

I did pick them up if it was easy - didn't get upset if I couldn't find it in the pile of brass.

And, I try to retrieve all the brass (9mm) that I can find -

But, if I can't, I can't.   No big deal.

11 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

Why is it that most people just drop that ammo on the ground and not pick it back up? If you do that for every local match, you just wasted 6 ammo. If going to local matches 3-4 times, that's 18-24 ammo wasted per month. That's a full mag of ammo thrown away. I see this all the time. Makes me cringe.

So my question is, why waste that much ammo?

10 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

It's not the amount of money. It's the amount of rounds wasted. 

9 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

Physical debilities are understandable. But these are done by people who are physically capable. 

Serious question...………..how does this affect you?

Or asked a different way, why does this concern or bother you so much?

What other people do with their property is of absolutely zero concern to me, unless it's actually creating harm or interference with what I do.

Even thinking about something as trivial as someone else's 15 cent cartridge is a distraction I neither want nor need during a match.

Edited by elguapo

I used to grab the last round as I racked it out, but then I saw the results of a guy who had a round detonate out of battery when the ejector hit the primer while he was racking out a malfunction with his hand over the ejection port. Very unlikely situation, but a couple of rounds isn't worth the time lost from shredding you hand.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, elguapo said:

Serious question...………..how does this affect you?

Or asked a different way, why does this concern or bother you so much?

What other people do with their property is of absolutely zero concern to me, unless it's actually creating harm or interference with what I do.

Even thinking about something as trivial as someone else's 15 cent cartridge is a distraction I neither want nor need during a match.

You still brought up money. My question is not about money. And yes, being wasteful bothers me hence the question, was just being curious really. I have no problem ejecting my round. Others are just bad at it I guess. 

Also, leaving live rounds on the ground, getting stomped on, is not concerning? 

Edited by happygunner77