Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger Custom Shop or Magnum Research Switchbolt?

gerritm

I have a 17 year old GD who is getting really good at SC. Won the last couple of local matches and has been shooting at 92% with a Ruger 10/22 Target Lite. Looking to get her a little more reliable rifle. I have done several of the mods & it runs about 95% right now.

Which one would you think would be most reliable. Ruger is about 1# heavier. She is used to shooting a 5-6# PCC and shoots that well. 

gerritm

What are the malfunctions that she has? Changing bolts out on my wife's has made it basically 100% reliable. My factory bolt was sent off years ago to que for his bolt work and that rifle has been 100% for a long time but there are alot of good aftermarket bolts out there now. Would be easier to change that out then get a new rifle.

Actually that is a good idea, but this kind of has a dual purpose. Whichever one she likes the best, I get the other one. So going to get one or the other.

It has less than 1K rounds and she seems to get about one double feed mess each match or so. Same thing, first round goes up and sticks next round under. Probably not broken in. Happens with different mags. Tried different ammo, better with CCI mini mag or the Winchester 525. Cleaned & Polished internals, smoothed any rough spots. After market extractor. Getting better.

gerritm

Extreme accuracy isn't critical in SCSA. Any gun that will group into 1.5-inches at 25-yards is more accurate than you need. I am getting close to 2019 RFRO Master (would have been a 2018 Master) with a factory Ruger 10/22 Take-Down Lite with an added Ruger BX trigger. Weighs 4.5 pounds and is a joy to clean. Doesn't malf with decent standard or high velocity ammo (read that as Federal or CCI).

I have found that most issues with 10/22 reliability can be addressed with replacing the extractor with a Volquartsen, and changing the mag plunger spring to a Kidd.  I even put these parts on my Tacsol X-Ring and it has been very reliable.

Dump the Winchester garbage stick with Mini Mags. Polish the spring guide and charging handle. Look for sharp edges on the bolt. Better yet replace the bolt and charging handle and spring guide with a Kidd. Scotch bright the inside of the receiver and check for screws from the sight base protruding into the receiver. 

37 minutes ago, JHB said:

Dump the Winchester garbage stick with Mini Mags. Polish the spring guide and charging handle. Look for sharp edges on the bolt. Better yet replace the bolt and charging handle and spring guide with a Kidd. Scotch bright the inside of the receiver and check for screws from the sight base protruding into the receiver. 

Good ideas. Didn't check for screws. I did change the extractor, can't remember if it Volquartsen or Tandemkross. Did polish the receiver & bolt edges, but not the charging handle & original spring. 

Went with the Ruger CS. Got a good deal on it. Like the little extra weight.

gerritm

1 hour ago, gerritm said:

Ordered the kidd charging handle spring kit. For now polished the rod.  What spring would you use? Stock or lighter spring. 

Gerritm 

Gerrit....bring your rifle to the night shoot on the 16th...I"m in your squad....been looking at building a Steel Challenge rifle aswell.....looking at all Kidd parts and a chassis system......if you need any ammo from the shop , hit me up. :)   Scott

I have a 17 year old GD who is getting really good at SC. Won the last couple of local matches and has been shooting at 92% with a Ruger 10/22 Target Lite. Looking to get her a little more reliable rifle. I have done several of the mods & it runs about 95% right now.

Which one would you think would be most reliable. Ruger is about 1# heavier. She is used to shooting a 5-6# PCC and shoots that well. 

gerritm

Ruger custom shop 10/22 comes with very tight chambers, seem to be for the high accuracy , rather than the speed shooting we do ,, might want to polish on the camber some ,, I also only shoot cci mini mags (40grains) for competition [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, assaultthesalt said:

Gerrit....bring your rifle to the night shoot on the 16th...I"m in your squad....been looking at building a Steel Challenge rifle aswell.....looking at all Kidd parts and a chassis system......if you need any ammo from the shop , hit me up. :)   Scott

Will do. Look forward to shooting with you, these matches are a blast.

gerritm

My wife's Kidd 10/22 has been flawless in well over 50K rounds.  I recently bought all the receiver parts so I can put together a second, lighter rifle.  Her current configuration with a Kidd barrel weighs just over 4 lbs.  I'm estimating that with a Wiland barrel at 11 oz. we'll get down to about 3 lbs.  10/22 magazines are another matter and I've become very proficient at cleaning an retentioning.

I thought about building one as I have built many AR's & PCC's, but decided to go the factory route. I have another Ruger 10/22 with a stock barrel on an Adaptive Tactical AR style stock. It is light & swings way too easy for me. So the Ruger CS is about 5.5# closer to my PCC weight which I shoot really well in SC. Depending on which one my GD decides to shoot I may swap the tension barrel on the Ruger TL to a fluted SS or get the Tandemkross Game Changer steel comp to add a little weight. The MR Switchbolt is 4.5#.

gerritm

Got the Kidd charging handle & spring. Installed it in my GD's Ruger Target Light and it ran 100% in the match shooting CCI mini mags. Took 2nd in RFRO & 2nd overall out of 60 shooters. Lost to a GM. 

I shot the new Ruger CS & it ran perfect also. One question, she really likes new Ruger CS, but with my C-More railway on it the dot sits too high with the way the stock cheek piece & 30 MOA integral rail.. She has a Vortex Venom on hers & it sits nice & low. Thinking of a C-More RTS-2 to get a bigger window, but hoping it will sit low enough. Any recommendations for a larger window dot, but it has to sit low? 

gerritm

Whatever you get her, make sure it has enough of an adjustment range.  The 30 MOA rail is a handicap, because you'll have to dial it down at least that far to zero it for 18 yards.  The RTS2 does have enough range, but there are battery issues.  All three of mine had 6 MOA dots.  I had to crank them up to max brightness to see the dot on white steel in sunlight.  One of them would not last an entire 8 stage match without dimming noticeably.  C-More and a lot of other shooters tell me that going to an 8, 10 or 12 MOA dot saves the battery and is easier to pick up on steel.  One custom builder has C-More bore them out to a 15 MOA dot.  Aside from battery life and brightness issues, the RTS2 is a nice sight.

She likes the 8MOA that I have on my C-More & the big open window, also looking at the Vortex Razor. Kind of liked the Romeo Max, but not at $799 MSRP.

Not sure why the 30MOA rail? Seems excessively high with the low cheek weld. Not a problem for me and she is not short, but both her & her Dad looked at the back of the C-More when on the cheekpiece, not the dot. The standard one on the Target Light is perfect. 

gerritm

C-More railway on it the dot sits too high with the way the stock cheek piece & 30 MOA integral rail.. She has a Vortex Venom on hers & it sits nice & low. Thinking of a C-More RTS-2 to get a bigger window, but hoping it will sit low enough. Any recommendations for a larger window dot, but it has to sit low? 

gerritm

I had some luck using a 90* mount on that rail from striplin ? I think that’s where it’s from , it brings the dot down enough for a good check weld

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is an idea. Ordered a C-More RTS2. Will see how it works.

Talked to Ruger CS and they are checking to see if I can swap her Target Light stock or a different stock with the new stock to raise the cheek weld. The custom shop stock has 2 screws holding the stock instead of the normal 1 in the hand guard. Different bedding. They also said the Green Mountain laminate is designed for this rifle.So not hopeful. Will figure something out. 

Even thinking of drilling & tapping the rail and mounting the C-More direct.

Or she will stay with her target light rifle with a different red dot, she does shoot it well. The things we do to make them happy.

gerritm

• 2 weeks later...

Mounted the RTS2 on the Ruger CS 30moa rail and she loves it. Zeroed with no problem. She shot her first match with it using CCI mini mags and ran great for 3 stages and then started the failure to feed where the round sticks above the chamber. Still managed to take first place.

I had done nothing to it including cleaning it other than running a bore snake down the barrel & oil. Had about 500 rounds. So cleaned it thoroughly and polished the charging/recoil rod and all surfaces. For a CS the rod was not very smooth. Will shoot next match in a couple of weeks. 

The Ruger Target Light ran about 95% before swapping the charging handle for the Kidd & doing some polishing has now run 100% for 2 full matches. Thanks for the advice.

gerritm