Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith for service

xjwalt666

I'm trying to find a good builder or Smith I can send my open gun to to check over mainly the barrel timing. I built the gun myself and was built for 9 major. But anything that's over around 1200fps I'm still having an issue with the primer bulging into the firing pin hole and shaving off some material. I can get 2 or 3 rounds off then a light strike because the firing pin is obstructed. Any recommendations? I'm in Ct so someone local or close by would be best for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hello: take the burr out of the firing pin hole. A very light chamfer will stop the shaving of the primer. I use a 3 corner scraper. Also use small rifle primers. Thanks, Eric
That's one thing I have thought about as it was an issue on a ruger lc9 I had. Maybe I'll give that a try first. I had bought a box of small rifle primers to try but never was able to get around to try them out. Figuring it's the off season it's a good time to try.

Do you have an extended firing pin?  That helped me many moons ago when PF was 175. 
I do have an extended pin. That was the first thing I thought of. I went back thru my parts bags to double check. Replaced with a new one and still happens. The issue is the primer shaving off into the hole and blocking the pin from being able to make full contact.

Then go back to the slide and chamfer the fp hole.
Or
Your fp is too large and allowing flow around the pin
I'm going to do this tonite. I grabbed a chamfering tool at work. Going to do it tonite and test Saturday morning and see how it goes. Also going to measure the fp hole and see if it's close to the size of the pin.

1 hour ago, xjwalt666 said:

I do have an extended pin.  The issue is the primer shaving off into the hole and blocking the pin from being able to make full contact.

I understand your problem. My extended firing pins are long enough that when the hammer is down, the primer cannot flow back into the hole because the firing pin is right at the end of the hole. Can't remember the brand of firing pin, though.

1 hour ago, xjwalt666 said:

I'm going to do this tonite. I grabbed a chamfering tool at work. Going to do it tonite and test Saturday morning and see how it goes. Also going to measure the fp hole and see if it's close to the size of the pin.

If you're pin is to small. Try a m2i fp as usually they have to be taken down slightly to fit the channel.

What is your load ? you only mentioned velocity in you post, its possible you are trying to go to hot with the powder bullet OAL combination you are using.

Load is heavy plated rmr 124, 7.3 hs6 at 1.168.

I've tried hs6, autocomp, cfe pistol and silhouette all with the same results. Tried using Everglades major loads and they worked the best but still after 8 or 9 rounds same thing happened. The load I can run reliably right now is 6.6gr hs6 with a 124 rn at 1.165 oal and it works well but not meeting major pf. Mostly just used it for steel this year.

That doesn't sound crazy, I asked because I have seen people here ask about fast powders for Major more than once 

I've seen it too. I asked a lot of questions about powders with local shooters and did a lot of research before testing loads. I used autocomp for my primary powder for my steelmaster before building this one and felt the hs6 shot better for me and was cleaner. Also it seems like anything over the 6.6gr hs6 point is where my problems start and around 6.8gr of autocomp same thing happens.