Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double tap "groups" - weird, weird, weird

docscoutjr

Just got a my completely rebuilt 2011, Cheely E2 steel, KKM hybrid, two holes, three chamber two port comp.  9mm/124's 7.3 of Silhouette (what I had on hand).  Amazingly accurate! Everything is running great, try some doubles. 

Seem fast/faster but...it was like I was shooting two separate groups, literally.  First shot group was exactly where it should be, nice little 3 inch circle at 7m then second shot group was about 4 inches high and a tad right, nice little 3 inch circle.  Now clearly I am pulling the trigger faster than the dot is coming back, but on previous guns even going full out, not seeing the dot, I wasn't getting consistent groups of first shot, second shot.  And the fact that I did this for about 80 rounds consistently was weird.  A Bill drill yielded my typical pattern which is a random group in the A zone, no wild ones in the C or D.  So what is going on?  Recoil spring comes to mind, but I have been shooting 7-8lbs for the last 5-6 years.  New grip/weight, yes possibly.  For sure different recoil than with a plastic grip so maybe just have to get that figured.  In 30 years of shooting fast I have never felt this.  Usually if I pick something up and try and shoot fast doubles they are at worst all over the target, at best a big circle.  I have never experienced two separate groups when shooting doubles.  Any thoughts?  

I would def try recoil spring before anything else as its a very cheap part. I sounds like the new grip and weight of the gun has changed the impulse of the recoil. 

If the gun is not coming back to zero, a heavier spring might help drive the muzzle back down more. Maybe try cutting down a 9lbs spring and see what happens.

Also this

9 hours ago, SeattleDude said:

Try different powder (Shooters World Major Pistol)

as you know more gas etc can def change the dot return location. I have tried Shooters World Major Pistol, def one of my top 3. 

the gun returning on target is a delicate equilibrium where many factors are at work. any change in any of these factors will disturb this equilibrium.

you are shooting a different pistol, you will need a few thousand rounds to get accustomed and eventually see an improvement. 

thats why i stick to a gun and dont change anything unless i really have to.

every change brings costs in terms of stage time and ammo to shoot to get used to the differences, and gains are often illusory. 

Hello: Things to check are that the grip screws are tight. The locking lugs are clean. The comp is not touching the slide. The bullets are not touching the comp. The comp is tight on the barrel. The scope mount is tight. The dot on the scope mount is tight. Lots of little things to check. Thanks, Eric

13 hours ago, gianmarko said:

the gun returning on target is a delicate equilibrium where many factors are at work. any change in any of these factors will disturb this equilibrium.

you are shooting a different pistol, you will need a few thousand rounds to get accustomed and eventually see an improvement. 

thats why i stick to a gun and dont change anything unless i really have to.

every change brings costs in terms of stage time and ammo to shoot to get used to the differences, and gains are often illusory. 

True this.  That said I have enough practice and muscle memory that I can go from  a 2011 9mm open to a 1911 .38 super open with relative ease other than reloads.  Two very different platforms, but could adapt.  So with the new gun I was expecting different, but not that different.....but apparently it is.  And indeed I have at least 2k ahead of me to get things dialled in.  

13 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Things to check are that the grip screws are tight. The locking lugs are clean. The comp is not touching the slide. The bullets are not touching the comp. The comp is tight on the barrel. The scope mount is tight. The dot on the scope mount is tight. Lots of little things to check. Thanks, Eric

A'int my first rodeo.  But thanks.   Loose bits or ill-fitting parts would yield more random results.  If I can replicate I will post because the grouping is quite amazing.  A great learning experience in what I am actually doing/seeing.