Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
nikdanja

40 loads for steel challenge

Recommended Posts

Heard that you use the same powder charge but get the lightest bullet you can get. 
 

I want to shoot more steel challenge during the winter. Figure it’s has to be great USPSA practice. Calling your shots, drawing 20+ times during the day, quick transitions etc. 

Edited by nikdanja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Heard that you use the same powder charge but get the lightest bullet you can get. 
 
I want to shoot more steel challenge during the winter. Figure it’s has to be great USPSA practice. Calling your shots, drawing 20+ times during the day, quick transitions etc. 

What’s your question? Are you asking if you can use the same charge weight but with a light bullet to get a minor PF load?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both. 
 

there isn’t a PF in steel challenge but just wondering what guys use. Never really “made a load” other than to make major for USPSA. Steel really isn’t my thing but want to get into it a little for the winter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Both. 
 
there isn’t a PF in steel challenge but just wondering what guys use. Never really “made a load” other than to make major for USPSA. Steel really isn’t my thing but want to get into it a little for the winter. 

I shot it once last year under the same premise (uspsa practice) and just used my major load. Seems it would be better practice that way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MJinPA said:


I shot it once last year under the same premise (uspsa practice) and just used my major load. Seems it would be better practice that way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you’re right with the recoil and all. I just don’t see myself not being competitive and shooting steel challenge. Even though I want to shoot it to hone USPSA, after the 2nd or 3rd go at it I’m going to be pissed by seeing my name so far down the list lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sweet spot for 40sw and Steel Challenge is around 130PF.  My SC load is mixed HS brass, CCI500, 3.2ge Alliant e3, 155gr Precision RNFP coated bullet.  Awesomely accurate, consistent and clean.  You can use your major load, but you will be slower on several stages because of the extra recoil and muzzle rise.

 

Following the conventional wisdom of just using a lighter bullet with the same charge as your major load only works with some powders.  Slower powders tend to be smokey and inconsistent with light bullets and low velocity.  You need to keep chamber pressure up to get a complete burn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, zzt said:

The sweet spot for 40sw and Steel Challenge is around 130PF.  My SC load is mixed HS brass, CCI500, 3.2ge Alliant e3, 155gr Precision RNFP coated bullet.  Awesomely accurate, consistent and clean.  You can use your major load, but you will be slower on several stages because of the extra recoil and muzzle rise.

 

Following the conventional wisdom of just using a lighter bullet with the same charge as your major load only works with some powders.  Slower powders tend to be smokey and inconsistent with light bullets and low velocity.  You need to keep chamber pressure up to get a complete burn.

What recoil spring weight do you use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 7:58 AM, zzt said:

The sweet spot for 40sw and Steel Challenge is around 130PF.  My SC load is mixed HS brass, CCI500, 3.2ge Alliant e3, 155gr Precision RNFP coated bullet.  Awesomely accurate, consistent and clean.  You can use your major load, but you will be slower on several stages because of the extra recoil and muzzle rise.

 

Following the conventional wisdom of just using a lighter bullet with the same charge as your major load only works with some powders.  Slower powders tend to be smokey and inconsistent with light bullets and low velocity.  You need to keep chamber pressure up to get a complete burn.

The light bullet same charge doesnt do that, You have the same velocity. and folks dont generally load slow powders in 40 major.
Assuming, you are running 180's at major, change to same profile 155, nowadays in a different color so you dont mix em up. Change nothing else on your press.
You end up around 140, pf with a load that chambers and feeds and runs just like your 180, has same point of impact, so no sight issues, also usually will run with the same spring.
If you drop down to 135's you will probably need to respring and zero sights.
If you are switching back and forth between sports it's a pretty good way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, nikdanja said:

What recoil spring weight do you use?

 

12 lb.

 

I used a 13 lb. spring when I was shooting major and minor out of the gun.  PFs were 172 and 144.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zzt said:

 

12 lb.

 

I used a 13 lb. spring when I was shooting major and minor out of the gun.  PFs were 172 and 144.

Have you tried anything lower than a 12?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, nikdanja said:

Have you tried anything lower than a 12?

 

I have 10 and 11, but don't need them.  The 12 works fine in my CZ TS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, zzt said:

 

I have 10 and 11, but don't need them.  The 12 works fine in my CZ TS.

What are you looking for when you “tune” them spring wise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nikdanja said:

What are you looking for when you “tune” them spring wise?

 

100% reliability and a quick return of the sights.  Too light and the slide loiters at the rear of the stroke.  Too heavy and you risk stove pipe jams.  As a general rule, if the brass gets tossed 3' away, your in good shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, zzt said:

 

100% reliability and a quick return of the sights.  Too light and the slide loiters at the rear of the stroke.  Too heavy and you risk stove pipe jams.  As a general rule, if the brass gets tossed 3' away, your in good shape.

Good to know, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2019 at 5:37 AM, nikdanja said:

I guess you’re right with the recoil and all. I just don’t see myself not being competitive and shooting steel challenge. Even though I want to shoot it to hone USPSA, after the 2nd or 3rd go at it I’m going to be pissed by seeing my name so far down the list lol. 

 

do you think changing power factor will move your name up the list significantly?

 

I've shot some of my best steel times (at the time, it was my personal record) with 45 major. I still normally shoot light 9 mm loads for steel, but I can't see that it makes a significant difference for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just shoot my regular USPSA major PF load in steel. It won’t keep you from being competitive, either you can control your pistol or not. USPSA vs steel doesn’t matter much to me. I’m fast and accurate or I’m not. My perspective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen guys shoot SC fast with major loads.  But those same shooters are going to be faster with softer loads.  That, however, is not necessarily the primary consideration.  It's nice to have one load that works for all the games you choose to shoot.  I stick with one load -- happens to be 9mm at ~129PF -- for USPSA, Steel Challenge, club practice matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 8:05 AM, Joe4d said:

The light bullet same charge doesnt do that, You have the same velocity. and folks dont generally load slow powders in 40 major.
Assuming, you are running 180's at major, change to same profile 155, nowadays in a different color so you dont mix em up. Change nothing else on your press.
You end up around 140, pf with a load that chambers and feeds and runs just like your 180, has same point of impact, so no sight issues, also usually will run with the same spring.
If you drop down to 135's you will probably need to respring and zero sights.
If you are switching back and forth between sports it's a pretty good way to go.

^^^^^
good info. Not only with 155, but I had good luck with 140’s too. However as mentioned above I did run lighter ,recoil spring in Glock 35, and 1911. Tried Titegroup, WST, and Bullseye, my best results were with WST, but all three would have been suitable for Steel Challenge 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to run about 3.4 of TG for minor pf. with a 180 gr bullet. I did really like a 155 at 140 pf. Just not many choices at that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was listening to an Anderson podcast and he mentioned steel loads. He said to take the same powder charge and use the lightest bullet you can get your hands on. 
 

I haven’t tried it yet, but the physics makes sense to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 5:21 PM, Atlasguy321 said:

I was listening to an Anderson podcast and he mentioned steel loads. He said to take the same powder charge and use the lightest bullet you can get your hands on. 
 

I haven’t tried it yet, but the physics makes sense to me. 

I tried that with several  different lighter bullets. It does not really work unfortunately if you are trying to get a real minor load.  You still need to either adjust the OAL or the powder charge or both at the end.  Initially It does reduce the PF considerably but it is still too hot.  I ended up with developing a completely different load to shoot minor. I have to adjust my reloading setup each time I need it. It is a pain in the rear but I do not really need a lot of minor ammo so a few thousands are enough for a while.  

I am using 165gr bullets vs 180gr that I normally shoot through my Limited gun just because The Blue Bullets do not make 155gr and I wanted to stay with the same bullet profile. Otherwise you also have to change the OAL. 

 Also I change the recoil spring to 9# from 11# that I normally run if I am to shoot minor.

Edited by cheby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...