Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone actually use a spring gauge?

nikdanja

I make the spring tester sold by brownells and dillon.  it is not so much about a magic combo unless you are creating loads for a specific function.  too light a spring will produce frame battering and too heavy will not let the pistol function correctly.  well used springs need to be checked to verify they are not weakened.  Our Bianchi guns have 7 lb recoil springs and 14 lb mainsprings in order to function.

In a nutshell if you use factory loads in a factory gun it might not be that important.  If you are creating a load to shoot 1/2"  groups at 50yds. it might be.

David

9 hours ago, ffl said:

I make the spring tester sold by brownells and dillon.  it is not so much about a magic combo unless you are creating loads for a specific function.  too light a spring will produce frame battering and too heavy will not let the pistol function correctly.  well used springs need to be checked to verify they are not weakened.  Our Bianchi guns have 7 lb recoil springs and 14 lb mainsprings in order to function.

In a nutshell if you use factory loads in a factory gun it might not be that important.  If you are creating a load to shoot 1/2"  groups at 50yds. it might be.

David

I can see bullseye shooters wanting to tune a load for that purpose. USPSA shooting major tho I feel is overkill.

if you have a 10 pound spring, how many rounds until that 10 pound spring goes down to a 9 or 8 pound spring?

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a spring tester Brownells that I've used for at least 7 years now. I dig it out at the beginning of the season to check and replace springs if necessary.

I have the older "fish-scale" type tester. I do like the updated digital version a bit better. I'll get one during the black Friday sales.

Yes.  Just started using one the past year after I noticed some questionable results when tuning a couple of open guns.

Was REALLY surprised by how far off some springs are.  Worst was probably a new spring marked 9 lbs that 

was actually 6.5 lbs.      

7 hours ago, open17 said:

Yes.  Just started using one the past year after I noticed some questionable results when tuning a couple of open guns.

Was REALLY surprised by how far off some springs are.  Worst was probably a new spring marked 9 lbs that 

was actually 6.5 lbs.      

This!  I use a spring gauge regularly.  I've added additional marks on my gauge for various pistols to check for coil bind at full recoil.  I don't trim spring length to tune for weight, but I do have to trim springs for some pistols to prevent coil bind.

Nolan

I shoot mainly 1911 in 45 acp,  I shoot at  a range twice a week for practice.  My range guns as I call them are loaded with light loads as I don't like beating the crap out them.  I probanly shoot 200-250 rds a week.  I put lighter main springs and recoil springs so these guns function and it does take alittle work.  I made a spring tester a and you would be surprised what a difference it makes as I do like using different loads and bullets.  My self defense guns are pretty much std. spring tensions.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I just got one also from brownells. They are actually very useful. I also switch out slings prematurely in my open gun to make sure I don’t crack anything. Because I do this, I think it’s imperative to make sure the spring I’m putting in is Correct. Who’s to say the guy at wolf didn’t make a mistake and put a 7 pound spring into the 9pound package?  Mistakes happen all the time and if a $25 dollar tool will help protect my gun, then I’m all for it. A slide and barrel done right is easy $850 bucks. Springs and gauge are cheap!  Don’t knock until you try it! 

I use a spring tester for my recoil spring in my open gun. It is really surprising how far off the same brand of springs can be. I use a 6lbs in my open gun. I have measure some other 6lbs springs closer to 7lbs and even one close to 5lbs. So once you find the spring you like, you can test it and then cut down springs until you always achieve that goal weight. 

• 3 weeks later...

I also built one myself.  It might not be 100% accurate but it gives me a comparisson between different springs I have in my parts box.

I can use it for hammer and recoil springs.  I measured several springs from the same manufacturer where the spring that should be lighter in fact was heavier.

Why do shooters worry about a  1/2 ounce difference in trigger weight but are not interested in spring weight.

It is like mounting a crank in a racing engine without measauring the clearance because the factory said that it was ok.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/22/2019 at 8:56 AM, Ssanders224 said:

Just buy SprinCos and you don't need to. 

Sprinco springs are tested on an 18,000 machine according to Alan and are very accurate. I compress them in an SDM spring testing tool using my reverse plug and they are spot on.

Edited by TONY BARONE
correction

On 11/22/2019 at 9:47 AM, jim vaughan said:

the real question is who doesn't!

I don't.

I let the target tell me what the correct recoil spring is and I let the trigger pull gauge and primer ignition tell me what the correct hammer spring is.

On 7/11/2020 at 3:34 AM, jim vaughan said:

And then afterwards you should measure the values so that replacement is easy.

LOL no.  I don't care if spring A is 1 or 2 lbs/inch higher or lower than spring B.  It makes no difference to me.  I just grip the s#!t out of the gun.

Edited by SGT_Schultz