Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Found a deal on a 1050... or wait for RL1100?

I had 2 1050’s... Then I traded one in to get a Revolution. Wish I hadn’t done that. I like having two so I don’t swap primer parts. I did find a great deal on one on sale (Graf’s dealer account). 

Should I buy the 1050? Or should I wait for the RL1100. I am fine with the 1050. Don’t love the spillage from shellplate movement but the DAA brush has helped that. Any other reason to wait for the RL1100? I called Dillon and they said the other big change was a beefier swaging system. I never thought the old system was a problem.

BTW... The conversions on Revolution are just too expensive to convert all my calibers so I am only using that for a few. 

Edited by DJRyan13

I played with the RL1100 at nats, it is very nice and a lot smother than either of my 1050's were new.

1st thing i thought while cycling it was , ' this thing isn't going to spill powder loading 9 major  " . The plate didn't have the snap like the 1050's do without the aftermarket mods .

Messing with it in person sold me on the updated crank system, it is a lot beefier than the 1050 . I also talked to the rep about the updated swage, i bent mine and he said i prolly won't be able to bend this one .

If no hurry for another press right this minute, i'd wait .

Thanks folks. I went ahead and cancelled the 1050 order and backordered the RL1100. 

Grafs has one posted without conversion. Since I have the conversions I need, I went with that. 

wonder what size primer system it comes with? Maybe I will call Dillon 

9 hours ago, Laxman2809 said:

no need to wait plenty of used 1050 out there.

Where is out there?

The only ones I've found were from businesses the loaded commercially. I've only seen a handful of decent 1050s pop up and they are sold right away.

20 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Where is out there?

The only ones I've found were from businesses the loaded commercially. I've only seen a handful of decent 1050s pop up and they are sold right away.

Seen the for sale on reddit here decent amount on Facebook as well.

27 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Where is out there?

Agree with Intheshaw1 "decent" used 1050's are hard to find.

On 11/9/2019 at 10:25 AM, Laxman2809 said:

they really are this one was just posted and has an autodrive and LOTS of accessories

image.thumb.png.0771ed3f3745950829dc8164edde24db.png

The ones I've seen all have had automation but I'm not looking to spend that kind of money yet. Unfortunately, the one really good deal I saw on BE a few months ago was lost to me as I lost reception out on the golf course and it was sold by the time I had reception again...

2 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

Looking forward to going to the Dillon Store in north Scottsdale when the 1100s are available, and walking out with one.  After paying of course.😁

We look forward to hearing what you have to say about the 1100!

7 hours ago, Laxman2809 said:

At 2500 you are so close to new 1050 territory this is just today.

92106D58-BB35-4324-A489-CB199611E51A.jpeg

That's been my problem in finding a 1050. It's either nearly the same price as new, which at that point I'll just buy new or it was used commercially.

Maybe I'll have to actually go on Facebook and see what's on there. Ive been having my wife look on market place but looks like reloading groups may be better.

Unless you want to load big rifle rounds, the best bet is the old style RL1050.  Buy a used one, then tear it down, clean it and replace any worn parts.  It'll be good as new.  Second choice is the RL1100, which has a bottom end similar to the RL1050, but with a longer stroke.  The Super 1050 is the last choice of the three due to the crap bottom end design and long stroke.

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Unless you want to load big rifle rounds, the best bet is the old style RL1050.  Buy a used one, then tear it down, clean it and replace any worn parts.  It'll be good as new.  Second choice is the RL1100, which has a bottom end similar to the RL1050, but with a longer stroke.  The Super 1050 is the last choice of the three due to the crap bottom end design and long stroke.

Looks like I'll just wait for the 1100 at this point.

I found a well used RL1050 and spend some time and money replacing some worn parts. The thing is great and if I were you I'd wait on 1100. The retro changes go back towards the RL1050 especially the larger main  bearing. You will always find deals on Super 1050 if you decide to go that way because a lot of users will upgrade to 1100 over time. I would not trade my RL for a brand new Super 1050.. 

• 4 months later...

Old tread revival here but seemed like a good place to ask. 

I have a 1050 on a mk7, If I buy a 1100 can I just swap everything over? I'm not sure what is different? Will my swage sense, bullet sense and everything bolt up? 

Thanks in advance!

53 minutes ago, DJRyan13 said:

Thought I saw in a thread that the M7 fits the 1100 but belt cover doesn’t. I doubt the swage sense works as new swager on 1100 is much bigger. 

This...Belt cover and swag sense won’t work currently. The RL1100 has more material added to swag block than 1050...Always best to call/email Mark 7 though as they are working to adapt parts.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:39 PM, Intheshaw1 said:

Not sure you need to worry about buying from a commercial business.  I bought an older RL 1050 set up for 9mm including Dillon dies from a commercial reloader for $1,000.  I added a Mr. Bullet Feeder and Bob's your uncle.  I've loaded well over 20K rounds so far.  If/when I need to replace worn parts, no big deal.  Dillon parts seem to be reasonably priced and I can buy a LOT of them for the money I saved on the used press.

Edited by mvmojo