Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short Reach Trigger Mod

Agent #1911

Situation: medium hands. injured trigger finger (1/2" shorter than left).

Solution: reduce trigger reach

Option: install a set screw to reduce pre-travel

items needed for this project:

M3-0.5 x 6mm Socket Set Screw

M3, 0.5 thread Spiral Point Tap

2.5mm Drill Bit

IC-2000 CA Glue or Permanent Loctite

center punch (to mark the location and get the bit started)

A small file

Steps:

1. Disassemble the frame and remove the trigger from the trigger bar using appropriate size punch.

2. Refer to the pictures for the location of the Set Screw. Drill and Tap from the interior of the trigger  towards the left sight (trigger return spring leg rides on the right sight). *note* the surface of the trigger is very hard and not easy to drill. use a center punch to get the bit started. I used a smaller bit the get started and eventually ended up with the 2.5mm bit. *note #2* you only have one shot at this, you mess this up and you will be ordering a new trigger. so measure many times and drill once.

IMG-2708.jpg

IMG-2707.jpg

IMG-2709.jpg

3. Test fit the set screw. start from the inside of the trigger. screw the set screw until it is fairly flush with the inside if the trigger to prevent interference with the trigger bar when it pivots. *see pic*.

4. Time to set the screw in place. I use IC-2000 here as I already have it for applying grip tapes on my guns. you may also use permanent loctite which requires lengthy cure time (drop in small zip loc and squeeze out air to speed up curing). apply IC-2000 to the threads then screw in place.wipe off excess. set aside to cure (approx 15 min).

5. Using an appropriate size hex wrench, test to see if the screw has set in place. you should not be able to turn the wrench with minor pressure.

6. Filing time! the idea here is to file the set screw until the trigger have just enough clearance to reset WHEN THE SLIDE IS INSTALLED. on a perfectly filed set screw, THE TRIGGER WILL NOT RESET WHEN THE SLIDE IS OFF THE FRAME. when the slide is installed, it moves the hammer back slightly which creates more clearance for trigger reset. If the trigger resets when the slide is off, you filled too much material. it will still work but the reduction of trigger reach is not as substantial. it is a good idea to pickup several set screws. there is going to be a lot of assembly/disassembly in this step so be patient and remove a little bit at a time. the extra set screws can also be used to replace the factory short overtravel stop should you want to reduce the overtravel after the sear is released. same idea, file to fit.

IMG-2716.jpg

IMG-2768.jpg

IMG-2770.jpg

as you can see from this video. there is no trigger slack after the reset

Edited by Agent #1911

I am very interested.  

I sold my Shadow 1 because I was not able to reach the DA.  Stock 2s are better than Shadow 1 but I still always wish it has a curvier factory trigger so that I can reach more easily on DA.  

Would your trick work on the Extreme trigger?  It's a bit flatter but also harder to reach.  

28 minutes ago, Agent #1911 said:

for those who would prefer a shorter trigger reach with their stock trigger, I have some trick under my sleeve to accomplish this. I just want to see if there are any interest in this group before I spend the time to post pics etc.. let me know if you are interested and I will post the "how to".

Very interested!

A short video might be easier unless you all ready have the pictures.

ok I will have the "how to" posted by tonight. This mod made a big difference for me. 

Dazhi, I have not tried the Extreme trigger but I dont see why this mod will not work for it. I shot a match with you last year at Collins County while I was traveling through Dallas. Outstanding club with tremendous participation. 

On 11/4/2019 at 9:15 AM, Dazhi said:

I am very interested.  

Would your trick work on the Extreme trigger?  It's a bit flatter but also harder to reach.  

Shoot a gun with an Extreme trigger first. The flatter trigger looks like it would feel better... but there are a lot of guys around here who bought one, then sold it in classifieds.

There’s a lot to be said for that funny looking, but really ergonomic, curved trigger.

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Shoot a gun with an Extreme trigger first. The flatter trigger looks like it would feel better... but there are a lot of guys around here who bought one, then sold it in classifieds.

There’s a lot to be said for that funny looking, but really ergonomic, curved trigger.

Yeah ... I bought one from classifieds, and I tested it and liked it if I shift my grip to reach the DA :) I wish my short stubby finger is 1/4 inch longer

Great idea. Just thinking... Why not turn the set screw the other way round? That way you could adjust it with a hex wrench instead of filing. If you cut the set screw appropriately short before install then it will never reach into the trigger pin on adjustment. When adjusted, add loctite. I think this method would be slightly easier.

The xtreme DA trigger is longer reach, the stock trigger is better for us with short fingers... I bit the bullet and got the Henning short reach flat SA trigger and moved into Standard/Limited. It's no fun to shoot a pistol that doesn't suit your hands.