Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Legion - A few questions

brianr34

I picked up a new X5 Legion today.  I have been out of shooting for about two years.  I mainly shoot IDPA and primarily used Glocks.  I don’t expect the X5 to magically make me a better shooter, but some of the enjoyment for me is trying different guns.  

This is my first experience with Sig, so I have a few questions before my match on Saturday.  I plan on doing a lot of research to learn about the P320, but hoping for a few tips.  

I plan on shooting IDPA ESP and leave the magwell on.  My gun weighed 42.5 ozs, so it is below the 43 oz IDPA limit.  I will get out to the range once before the match to put rounds through it to adjust the sights if needed. 

Questions:

Is it OK to dryfire without snap caps?

I plan on using Blazer Brass 124gr.   Should I go ahead and change to the 12lb recoil spring before I put any rounds through it?  I have read that the 14lb spring has caused some failures with lower powered ammo.  What would be the possible negative impact to switching to the 12lb spring?

The mag release is a little difficult for me to get to.  Probably about the same as Glock Gen3.  Is an extended mag release available?

Any other tips for someone new to the X5 would be appreciated.  I am looking forward to learning about the X5 and starting shooting it.   

Springer precision extended mag release is what you’re looking for. I like the original one, but they also make a new one with a paddle on it for more surface area. I’m not sure exactly what’s legal in IDPA though

10 hours ago, Steppenwolf said:

124 grain runs well in X5 Legion.

Change to the 12# spring. Mine runs flawlessly with the 12# spring.

Snap caps not necessary.

Get Talon grips if you want more traction.

Talon grips didn´t hold for 5 presentations on mine... Problem was the part on the side pannel, right at and over the sig logo. There is a very small amount of tape, taped on stippling with no side support.

Thank you for all the feedback.   I am looking forward to getting out to try the X5.  I have never even shot any Sig before.  

Going to be a little cool here in Ohio on Saturday for the match.  In the uppers 20’s in the morning and warm up to 40.  

Had the rubber version on  for over 6 months have taken them of and swapped to grit and then replaced the same rubber again still stuck on, so maybe was an issue when you applied them? 

Edited by terrydoc

Do go to the range and sight it in.  The rear sight will probably seem quite high, that is normal

for most people. Try your different recoil springs while you sight it in and determine which spring returns your sight picture to target the fastest with your grip. As mentioned earlier, many are using the 12 lb spring.  I have found that a slightly heavier spring returns my sights to target more quickly.  Enjoy your very fine pistol - I love shooting my CZs but my friends who watch me during our matches say I shoot my SIG flatter and I am placing higher now. 

13 hours ago, terrydoc said:

Had the rubber version on  for over 6 months have taken them of and swapped to grit and then replaced the same rubber again still stuck on, so maybe was an issue when you applied them? 

No, i think it´s how you hold the gun. My palm sit´s right at the logo area, cause i have large hands. So thats the point with maximum friction. The tape won´t hold up there.

No, i think it´s how you hold the gun. My palm sit´s right at the logo area, cause i have large hands. So thats the point with maximum friction. The tape won´t hold up there.

I put glue between the Talon tape and grip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it isn’t going to be a carry gun the silica carbide treatment works great for competition guns and is pretty easy to do. I use a 12lb spring in mine also. These things shoot pretty flat if setup right. I’m an open shooter and rarely mess with mine but it is a pretty easy transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk