Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to do during winter?

Tango

Now that the shooting season is ending, what can we do to continue improving? My plan:

1. continue dry firing

2. get fitter and more agile (go to gym regularly, sprint, drills, etc.)

3. shoot the occasional indoor match

4. try to shoot some drills at least once a month outdoors

Edited by Tango
month not week

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Huh? Just got done shooting 2 matches in PCC this weekend. One next week and one the following week in Lake Havasu. Then back to Open (maybe) 😉

i've heard that before, and i don't know how it works there with the 10rd mag law, but more power to you brother! 

Trying to shoot 100 shots every day with .22. Sun sets currently at 4pm(2x20w leds + 35w xenon spot), -12C degrees and 15cm of snow. This is only going to get worse. Spring start's at May :)

Edited by Kema

8 hours ago, Tango said:

Now that the shooting season is ending, what can we do to continue improving? My plan:

1. continue dry firing

Shooting season ending?  Heck it's just getting nice down here in Florida.  Want to continue improving?  Move to Florida 😀

no idea where the OP lives. Here in idaho we get plenty of opportunity to shoot in the winter, but you can't always count on it being reasonable to shoot on a particular weekend, so you have to be flexible.

First thing I do when I get home from area 2 is take a break for a couple weeks, and concentrate more on other activities/hobbies like hockey, skiing, etc...

Second thing is start planning for next year, both in terms of matches and travel, and also in terms of training goals and priorities.

Then I try to catch up on reloading.

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Or, at least, become a snowbird.     ❄️

The only bad things about being a snowbird, are the four H's :

Hurricanes

Humidity

H20   (Water tastes funny and is expensive)

Heat

AND, only H20 still exists in the Winter - perfect for snowbirds.    :) 

My plan is to go into Hibernation for a month and hit the gym HARD. Need to lose a few and work on movement. 

after hibernation, continue movement practice and TRANSITIONS. 2 of the biggest time savers on a stage right there boys and girls.  

Same as below but 2x day dryfire and normal lifting routine (strength emphasis).  If my tendinitis improves more grip work - seeing my Chiro tomorrow (it so happens he’s been shooting for 20+ yrs - fellow ipsc shooter)

On 11/3/2019 at 8:55 PM, Tango said:

1. continue dry firing

Aside from the obvious dry fire, I think it's a good time to come up with a game plan for next season.  I'm taking this time to give my shooting an honest assessment, going over old match video and deciding what areas I need to place most of my focus on that will gain me largest match improvement.  Next up I'm creating my goals for next year, and planning my finances, and practice time to meet those goals.  This includes getting my match and practice guns freshened up with new springs, and loading as much ammo as possible.  

I'm also planning what majors I want to shoot next year, and getting the time off from work lined up.  Other then that, time to really ramp up the dry fire! 

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest impact to my off range training came from switching from plain dryfire to using the cool fire trainer.   Having recoil forced me to grip the gun correctly all the time and not become relaxed.  I never use the red laser attachment as I use reduced size targets so I can work on seeing sights lift and shooting at more focused spots.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...