Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do we shoot boring stages?

I do not understand why USPSA stage designers, Match directors, and shooters like the stages that we shoot now. I am much more intrigued by IPSC style stages. While they differ from region to region as well, I really think that Russia, France, Czech Republic, and Serbia put on some amazing stages that truly test the balance of speed and accuracy regardless of your division. In the states I don't see many stages at matches nor even complete matches themselves that test this. If anyone is confused to what I am talking about, check out some videos on youtube. This years IPSC Eurasia Extreme Open is a good place to start. Their stage design just seems to test shooting in my opinion. I quite possibly could be wrong about this, drop your thoughts below if you have any. 

So I watched a video of the match you posted, and while not bad stages, it was IMO, nothing earth shattering either.  Mostly run here post up and shoot, run there post up and shoot, etc.   Those stages are what  I would consider boring, but to each his own.   Form experience, if you want to set a certain type of stage talk to your local ,match director and see if he will let you set a stage like you like.  And don't take that as the standard "you should set the match" line,  but if there is a stage you really want to try, set it.  It may or may not be as great as you think.  I have set great ones and duds too, but in my mind they were all going to be great, before i shot them that is, haha.

IPSC stages generally lean towards shooting tests than memory tests.  Part of that is they generally don't allow walkthroughs before the 5 minutes the squad is allocated.

Because of that sometimes the shooting tests are harder and movement more physical than in USPSA.

If you have ideas, bring them up and help make it happen. 

The match directors, like everyone else, have a life outside of USPSA so sometimes they're put together in a rush. There's also not much help with setup, so why would the MD want to set up elaborate stages by himself?

I haven't shot any ipsc matches, but most of the matches I shoot in idaho, utah, oregon and washington are anything but boring. Most stages have multiple viable options and some reward for shooting on the move,  and most matches have a good mix of faster stuff and more difficult shooting with an occasional dollop of physical challenges, fun prop stuff, etc.... Locally, i think it's because we have a lot of different stage designers that get involved, and many of them travel to lots of major matches and bring back interesting ideas.

Edited by motosapiens

56 minutes ago, Matt1911 said:

If you have ideas, bring them up and help make it happen. 

The match directors, like everyone else, have a life outside of USPSA so sometimes they're put together in a rush. There's also not much help with setup, so why would the MD want to set up elaborate stages by himself?

17 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

Feel free to donate some of the stage designs you have to your local match director. 

I have. Currently still do. Yet I can’t help other matches outside of the few locals ones I do help with. Thanks for the helpful replies.

I think a lot of it comes down to the whole 'it's how we've always set them up.'

I feel like that stages I shoot locally are pretty good but we have a handful of great shooters that do actually help with set up and stage design.

One stage is the same as the next to me.  Big, small, simple, complex, easy, hard, props, no props, gimmicks, no gimmicks, I don't care.   I suppose the only thing I don't care for is waiting an hour and a half in 115 degrees for my turn to shoot just 20 rounds.  In general, I don't love that.