Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will Running an 18.5” Barrel On My M2 Hurt Me?

greenthormx

First, I’m very new to the world of 3 Gun.  So new, that the first thing I did when I realized it intrigued me was go out and buy a Benelli M2... tactical.  After reading some more, I realized that a vent rib model would be preferable for the sport. Will using an 18.5” pistol sight barrel hurt me as a newcomer to the sport from an accuracy/distance perspective? Could I minimize sighting advantages of the vent rib by mounting an RMR on top of it? Most of what I’ve read says that 21” vent rib is the ticket, which doesn’t seem like a ton of difference.  I already bought a standard stock to replace the pistol grip which should open up my quad loading.  Thank you for your help!

Not in the least providing your 18" barrel has chokes. Some of the targets you will face need some form of construction is spinner at 15 yards, star at 20, heavy plates...etc. you could just use larger shot but some matches limit the size of shot.

As long as it accepts chokes it should still be pretty useable you will just have to run a tighter choke since your velocity will be lower. Also if you put an RMR on it you will be bumping yourself to open with guys running magazine fed shotguns and those with tube fed guns have 12-14rd mag tubes that will be full at the start.

11 hours ago, kurtm said:

Not in the least providing your 18" barrel has chokes. Some of the targets you will face need some form of construction is spinner at 15 yards, star at 20, heavy plates...etc. you could just use larger shot but some matches limit the size of shot.

It is a model with a choked barrel.  That is good to know and a huge relief! I also changed the spring pack in in to TTI, had Hawkeye Ordnance mill the loading port, changed to an accuguide lifter, added a tube extension, and added an oversized TTI bolt release and safety. Guess now I just need to sign up for an event.  I appreciate the response!

11 hours ago, MustangMan said:

As long as it accepts chokes it should still be pretty useable you will just have to run a tighter choke since your velocity will be lower. Also if you put an RMR on it you will be bumping yourself to open with guys running magazine fed shotguns and those with tube fed guns have 12-14rd mag tubes that will be full at the start.

It does accept chokes, so that is a relief that that is the common response.  I thought about the bump to open from Tac ops, but since I’m so new I don’t think I’ll be competitive at either level so I wasn’t too worried about it.  I think mine is setup 9+1 right now.  I have a Nordic extension on it. Since it doesn’t seem like a big deal I’ll leave the RMR in my safe.  Thanks!

I ran a M1 18.5" no choke threads for a year, then bought a 18.5" M2 treaded barrel for chokes.  I shot this for about 4 years at many matches until going to a Browning A5.  There are some nice advantages to the M2 18.5" like rifle sights for slugs and precision shots, lighter weight for quicker target acquisition (when your skills get there) and stages with closer open targets using an open choke, you can blast away without precision aiming.  The main disadvantage with the 18.5" barrel is you alway have to worry about the target distance and choke selection.  Longer barrels have a lot more forgiving patterns.  I was constantly stepping off target distances to get the best advantage I could at the target distances along with ammo selection on non-typical targets (spinners etc...).  

There are a couple of things you might want to do to the sights. I used some bright orange model paint, oil based, on the rifle sights  (paint grooves).  You can do just the front or also the rear.  I also had a fiber optic put in the front rife sight (get a good gun smith, it is a little risky considering the sight part of the barrel). 

IMG_3506.jpeg

14 hours ago, greenthormx said:

Okay, those are REALLY cool. I only wish they had a screw in point for a fiber optic sight. If I run out of other things to blame my crappy shooting on, these might be the ticket.  Thank you!

To be honest I’m fine with it at the factory location. Here’s my 4” on my 21” field barrel. 

ps sorry if the pic is upside down. Uploaded from phone. 

0D07C4EA-E957-412D-977D-AE473622F1E0.jpeg

14 hours ago, 021411 said:

To be honest I’m fine with it at the factory location. Here’s my 4” on my 21” field barrel. 

ps sorry if the pic is upside down. Uploaded from phone. 

0D07C4EA-E957-412D-977D-AE473622F1E0.jpeg

I like the carbon extension too.  I’m currently running a Nordic Components one. I wonder if I could run one of those weird “clip on” fiber sights on the extension? Or maybe I’ll just do what the other user said and add some high visibility paint.