Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SRO with 2 red dots

Dazhi

I heard this is common with early batches of SROs when you face the sun. 

I have seen this on a friend's SRO.  Only few K rounds in both cases. 

Questions:

- What's the serial number cut off where Trijicon fixed this issue?

- What's the typical turnaround time for Trijicon to fix/replace the faulty units?

2dot1.jpg

2dot2.jpg

2dot3.jpg

On 11/3/2019 at 12:52 PM, shred said:

It's a reflection off the cover glass for the dot module.  My #299 has it. 

Easy fix is slap a paster overhanging the dot window a little to provide a sunshade for it.

I just received a brand new 5moa today.  15### serial number.  Same issue.

Would the paster stay during recoil?  I am guessing if the workaround is to provide additional shade on the overhang, some kind of 3D printing part may help?

Another workaround is to stay away from east/west facing bays for matches, especially in sunrise/sunset times. 

2 hours ago, Dazhi said:

I just received a brand new 5moa today.  15### serial number.  Same issue.

Would the paster stay during recoil?  I am guessing if the workaround is to provide additional shade on the overhang, some kind of 3D printing part may help?

Another workaround is to stay away from east/west facing bays for matches, especially in sunrise/sunset times. 

That's probably the best way to go. A 3D printed part could snap into the holes on the sight body, locator/retaining pegs of a sort. I'm surprised the dual dot problem isn't being discussed more.

Had this one replaced by Trijicon recently.  Was defective from the moment I got it but the online retailer I got it from wouldn’t exchange it and made me go the warranty route. I bought it as a spare so no harm in waiting for the replacement but I still won’t deal with that retailer again

ACE6AEF5-49DF-41D4-8EE6-7791E48E4B3B.jpeg

That's not unique to SROs. I did have something like that at the Nationals, not just a second dot but even extra lines etc. Interestingly, with the SRO I could not see them if my dot was aimed at a target. They all seemed to be located on the periphery and I only saw them if I twisted the optic off axis. With a DPP during my last match I had four dots over one target. My second DPP has a big halo when aimed against the sun. 

I think it is a systematic problem with open emitter optics. I tried the plaster trick and it didn't stay on in recoil.

My paster stayed on fine, but I swapped for some black tape for a permanent fix.  Clean any oil off the scope first for better adhesion.

I looked at making a 3d printed part to cover it and unless you use the mount screws or cover the side ports, there's not a good way to attach one that isn't glue, and so we're back to tape...

The more SRO users I ask, the more reported the same issue. Seems to be the way it is. Here is another shooter's brand new recently purchased 5moa this morning.

First pic is when the dot was off. Second pic is when the dot was on.26f86012be48d2d79c9866230f41218e.jpgc2c1cbbd312fc175c78b2bbae1f24b52.jpg

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I tried but the shade needs to extend out a lot, like 2-3 inches out, before it can prevent the reflection. 

It appears if you just use a paster to cover the top 1/3 of the front glass, it does the trick, but you also lose 1/3 of the viewable area. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought an SRO. Mine has this issue as well. 

question, is this an issue when the dot is on the gun and you’re aiming? Holding the dot in the hand may show the reflection but when it’s mounted on the gun and you aim, you may never get the angle the same and maybe it doesn’t show up?  Also, I’ve noticed it depends on where the sun is in the sky. This should only be an issue when the sun is lowest in the sky? Think Nats at Frostproof in the AM. 

On 11/24/2019 at 10:44 AM, B_RAD said:

I just bought an SRO. Mine has this issue as well. 

question, is this an issue when the dot is on the gun and you’re aiming? Holding the dot in the hand may show the reflection but when it’s mounted on the gun and you aim, you may never get the angle the same and maybe it doesn’t show up?  Also, I’ve noticed it depends on where the sun is in the sky. This should only be an issue when the sun is lowest in the sky? Think Nats at Frostproof in the AM. 

Typically this is an issue when the sun is not yet high over the berm where you are shooting at.  That's usually in the dawn/dusk time with east/west facing bays. 

Hold the dot in hand and point it just below the high noon sun is only a way to reproduce the issue without having to go to the range. 

Edited by Dazhi

39 minutes ago, Dazhi said:

Typically this is an issue when the sun is not yet high over the berm where you are shooting at.  That's usually in the dawn/dusk time with north/south facing bays. 

Hold the dot in hand and point it just below the high noon sun is only a way to reproduce the issue without having to go to the range. 

Thanks for the description but I get what the problem is. I’m asking if that’s the way it happens? Does it happen when you shoot a corse?  Holding the dot in your hand and pointing it just right so it causes the problem is one thing. Having the dot  mounted on the slide and shooting may not recreate the situation. 

1 minute ago, Dazhi said:

Sure.  I noticed when I had like 6 mikes on that zebra targets during an early morning practice, because I was not sure which dot is the real one when I shoot at that particular target. 

2dot2.thumb.jpg.56b868f42fba31b2b5171e9c

Ok. Gotcha. I haven’t mounted mine yet. 

Is there a factory fix for this?  I don’t want to add a paster to the top. 

15 minutes ago, Slide4949 said:

I had this happen one morning when the stage was setup that we shot into east with bright sun. After about 10:30 the issue went away. I also turned down the setting  as much as I could that seemed to help.

Don’t see how that helped when the reflection dot happens even with the dot turned off. 

I think it helps because if the real dot is much dimmer, it will be easier to tell which dot to use when there are 2.  The fake dot is almost always very bright as long as it's there, about the same brightness as the highest setting on the real one.

I called Trijicon and talked to their tech support before I sold all my SROs.  They said this is the way it will be.  The truth is, I tested on DPP and Venom too.  DPP has it although not very obvious, i'd say fake dot with 1/4 or 1/5 the brightness of the real one.  Venom also has the fake dot but it's really hard to see under the same condition.   I dont have any Romeos and I cannot test them. 

28 minutes ago, Dazhi said:

I think it helps because if the real dot is much dimmer, it will be easier to tell which dot to use when there are 2.  The fake dot is almost always very bright as long as it's there, about the same brightness as the highest setting on the real one.

I called Trijicon and talked to their tech support before I sold all my SROs.  They said this is the way it will be.  The truth is, I tested on DPP and Venom too.  DPP has it although not very obvious, i'd say fake dot with 1/4 or 1/5 the brightness of the real one.  Venom also has the fake dot but it's really hard to see under the same condition.   I dont have any Romeos and I cannot test them. 

I’ve shot DPP’s for over a year now. I’ve got 4. I’ve shot over 40,000 rnds on them. Never noticed a second dot. I’ve noticed glare and a distorted dot when shooting into the sun but never a second one. In fact, the other day when I tested my SRO, I went and got one of my DPP and tried to recreate the issue with it and couldn’t. 

DPP is a different story I agree.  I have seen DPPs with horizontal lines when facing sun.  Some have very dim fake dots, and others not so much.  Don't know why but it does vary quite a bit. 

In terms of displaying a fake dot, SRO is pretty consistent from what I have seen. 

Edited by Dazhi

15 minutes ago, Dazhi said:

DPP is a different story I agree.  I have seen DPPs with horizontal lines when facing sun.  Some have very dim fake dots, and others not so much.  Don't know why but it does vary quite a bit. 

In terms of displaying a fake dot, SRO is pretty consistent from what I have seen. 

Trying to decide if I should just sell mine or shoot it.  Most of the time the sun/direction won’t be an issue. Though, I keep thinking of how I hear about Frost Proof and the sun issues at that range. Seems like it could be an issue there.