Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DW Valor 45 SS - is it worth it?

lfine

Came across a DW Valor (Government size) in .45, stainless steel, owned by an older LEO, with about 500 rounds on it and, unfortunately, an idiot scratch, as well, fo $1100 or so.

Not being a 1911 guy, but appreciative of a nice piece of machinery like this, I have to ask - is it worth it? I may use it to dabble in Single Stack if I ever wanted to (I'm a production guy), but it would be mainly for range and maybe home.  If it didn't have the scratch I think I would have picked it up by now.  And I understand they aren't made anymore so I'm just wondering if you of the 1911 world think it's worth picking up and maybe getting DW to refinish in their duty finish someday down the line or if it's nothing that needs to get moved on.

Yes, I know it's my money, and all the other stuff. Just looking for some of your opinions to help push me off the fence one way or another.

Thanks.

1100 is a good price seeing as it's going for 1400+ on gunbroker. being that you're a production competitor I'd say the natural step up would be carry optics.

SS guns are great but the division itself is lowly in participation. You WILL save the most reloading 45 though just depends on how much you'd really shoot it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

On 11/3/2019 at 1:56 PM, jcc7x7 said:

DW are the best production SS gun currently made, So 1100 seems like a very good price.

+1

I shot SS with mine.  DW offers the best quality and features for the price.  Great value.   

12 hours ago, 920webb said:

I would go for it .I think DW is a great out of the box 1911 . The price seems pretty good . 

I would go for it also. $1100 and you’re really not into a ss gun for very much.  I sold a dan Wesson about 5 years ago. It was my first ss gun and it was great. I just didn’t shoot or load 45 so I got rid of a gun that was never shot. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You can do some work on that idiot scratch by using 3M scotch brite pads. There are some very informative posts on other forums showing exactly how to do this. From what I recall the process needs to be done very carefully.