Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training when changing platforms

PGGUNS

So I made the decision this past week to move from CO to Open and ordered my new open gun that I’ll receive in 10 long weeks.  Recently sold my main CO gun and am left with my g34 CO.  So my question is what training would you recommend while waiting?  I was pretty diligent about dry firing but given the different platform, holster, etc, not sure it would be all the helpful but I guess it’s better than doing nothing.

Any training tips or suggestions while I wait the 2 1/2 months?  At this point I’ll likely keep dry firing and working a little with my Glock but truth be told not to motivated. 

10 hours ago, PGGUNS said:

ordered my new open gun that I’ll receive in 10 weeks.

Any training tips while I wait ?   I’ll keep dry firing my Glock but not too motivated. 

First, forget about 10 weeks.   You'll probably be lucky to get your new gun in 16 weeks (four months).

So, stay motivated.

And, don't get unmotivated again at the end of three months and you still don't have the new gun.

Stay in the game - keep shooting, a lot, and dry firing.

Any practice is better than nothing, especially for 4-6 months.

For me the most important thing is getting a sight picture with either gun.Get the dot on the  target before you pull trigger. With CO gun it takes me longer than with my open gun simple because of the recoil and less dot movement. So keep practice getting the sight picture and when you get the open gun you should find it much easier and faster. 

Get dot on target before you pull trigger is the secret.

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

First, forget about 10 weeks.   You'll probably be lucky to get your new gun in 16 weeks (four months).

So, stay motivated.

And, don't get unmotivated again at the end of three months and you still don't have the new gun.

Stay in the game - keep shooting, a lot, and dry firing.

Any practice is better than nothing, especially for 4-6 months.

Ordered the PT Honcho and they’ve been pretty consistent so far in their 10 week quote.  I think it would be easier for me to stay motivated if I know I had to wait 4-6 months, but knowing that it’s really not to far off has me a bit un-motivated with my current gun.  Your right though, I just need to keep shooting and going though my routine.  Right now the motivation is the hardest part since I’ve sold off my main competition gun.  

I am in the process of a very difficult transition to open from shooting iron sights for a long time. It has been very very very hard for me, but I think going from a hi-cap dot gun to another hicap dot gun should be fairly smooth. The drills you've been doing in live and dryfire will transfer, and most of your stage analysis practices will transfer as well. 

Going from minor to major might actually be the biggest difference, but I wouldn't change my accuracy standards. 

There will obviously be less recoil but that's the smallest area of transition.