Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Major load with BlueBullet 200 gr RNFP

Dr_Z

Hi just start shooting limited major. Current load formula is

Bluebullet 200 gr RNFP, 3.7 gr Tightgroup, 1.18 overall length. 

Thinking of moving away from Tightgroup. I have been using TG for a year in my 9mm minor load (1.11 overall length, 3 gr TG, 147 Bluebullet RN), but for 40 major, increased charge significantly accelerated carbon fouling. My friend recommend CleanShot from Shooter's World. Also I have seen many discussions regarding the Sport Pistol powder here. 

My question to those have first hand experience, how did the recoil impulse change when you switch from small charge TG powder to greater charge CS or SP power to maintain similar velocity. Softer? Or more snappy? How much cleaner are those compared to TG according to your experience? Black fingers no more? Less hard-to-clean poly fouling? Gun stays cool for longer / more rapid fire drills ? 

Thanks in advance! 

I just started loading and shooting 40 a few months ago. I had titegroup on hand and was using it for 9mm minor as well. I loaded some 180s with titegroup and had terrible fouling within 100 rounds. I bought a pound of sport pistol and switched to 200 grain bullets. The sport pistol is much cooler burning and had minimal fouling. I still get black sooty fingers but that's not the end of the world. From everything I've read sport pistol is softer shooting compared to titegroup. All I know is I'm liking the 200 grain with SP. That's what I'm gonna be sticking with for a while. 

2 hours ago, Degs said:

I just started loading and shooting 40 a few months ago. I had titegroup on hand and was using it for 9mm minor as well. I loaded some 180s with titegroup and had terrible fouling within 100 rounds. I bought a pound of sport pistol and switched to 200 grain bullets. The sport pistol is much cooler burning and had minimal fouling. I still get black sooty fingers but that's not the end of the world. From everything I've read sport pistol is softer shooting compared to titegroup. All I know is I'm liking the 200 grain with SP. That's what I'm gonna be sticking with for a while. 

sounds good!!! What's your formula with 200 gr bullet? Any load data? Thanks

Well I load for a cz so it's going to be a bit shorter then yours. I started with 3.6 grains of SP with an ACME 200 round nose no lube groove, loaded to 1.125. The average velocity was about 835 fps, about 167 PF. (I might bump it up to 3.7 or 3.8) when I ran out of the acme I bought some sns 200 gr, same load data and I actually lost velocity. Averaging like 815, only 2 rounds of the 10 I chronoed actually met PF.  When I run out of the sns i might try the blues next, I dont know. 

As long as you can load to 1.180 with 200 gr bullets, the load I'm suggesting works great

4.1-4.3 grs of WST

Yes I've heard WST is temp. sensitive BUT if you load it to 172 PF during the winter it will carry through the summer months at Chrono Stage.

Unless you live in an ultra cold climate in the winter and go to an ultra warm place in the summer where

they don't handle the chrono ammo correctly

Also been playing with Sport Pistol and getting really good results, low ES and SD and very accurate

with 200 gr Bayou's.  Start your ladder load at 3.8 and move up .2 at a time until you get to 172 PF or above.

Both those powders are nicer and much softer IMO than TG.

11 hours ago, wolffy1876 said:

I’ve used cleanshot for 75k rounds.  Ran 4.2 gr,  1.175oal with a 200gr blue.  175pf with a 5”kkm 2011 and 171pf with 5” STI.

noted , thanks for the load data!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys just a quick reporting. I got myself some Sport Pistol below are the results

A: SP 4.1 gr , 200 gr BlueBullet RNFP, 1.18 OVL, 5 inch Atlas Titan

6 shots Avg PF = 175 

B: SP 4.04 gr, 200 gr BlueBullet RNFP, 1.18 OVL, 5 inch Atlas Titan

7 shots Avg PF = 171 

Probably go low a little lower to aim for 168 ~ 170 PF. 

Powder and loads are quite consistent, both group show STDEV less than 2 PF. 

I used 4.1gr of N320 with 200gr Blues at 1.150" in a 5" Rock Island. It came in at ~163 PF on my crappy chrono but the guy i bought the gun from said he used 4.0 grains with Blues at that same length and made > 165 PF on other chronos, so IDK. I switched to 180gr.

This weekend I loaded 4.1 gr of sport pistol with 200 gr Gallant FP bullets at 1.170 and got 176 PF with ES of 14 and STD dev of 6.  This is out of a 5” Freedom Gunworks 2011.  I think I’m going to end up at 3.9.   For comparison I am at 4.0 gr WST for 169. It was 65 yesterday.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alliant has published data for ACME 200gr bullets with Sport Pistol here but the max change is set to 3.6., basically the same thing @Degs reported above. Of course this may be a different bullet, OAL, etc. Have any of the folks here using 4+ gr SP noticed any excessive pressure signs? I'm considering getting into limited major and have a ton of sport pistol so I'm just digging around for data and experience and am wary of the reputation 40 S&W has for kabooms.

On 1/5/2020 at 10:02 AM, Skywatcher said:

Does Blue Bullets still take 2 weeks plus to ship orders

i've only had delayed shipping when i order during the black friday sale. all other times (10-15 orders) the bullets ship within 24 hrs and are at my door in 3-4 days tops. One of the reasons I switched to them is my previous supplier was slow, and often wouldn't even accept orders.

29 minutes ago, BryceA said:

Alliant has published data for ACME 200gr bullets with Sport Pistol here but the max change is set to 3.6., basically the same thing @Degs reported above. Of course this may be a different bullet, OAL, etc. Have any of the folks here using 4+ gr SP noticed any excessive pressure signs? I'm considering getting into limited major and have a ton of sport pistol so I'm just digging around for data and experience and am wary of the reputation 40 S&W has for kabooms.

if you use clays (especially the original clays) and load short, you should be careful. I have not seen or heard of any problems with other fast powders such as e3, sport pistol, prima v, prima sv, etc... shooting buddy has been using sport pistol for 40 major for the last year or so, and I personally have loaded tens of thousands of rounds with the other 3 powders.